Apple-TV just got totally out done by Tivo.

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

The studios have their problems, but they are not clueless. It is just that when you don't stay in Mom's basement, you get different clues. Wal-Mart controls substantial segments of the entertainment dollar. Sam Walton's baby is the largest retailer of DVDs in the country. Every video game on the market has been approved by Wal-Mart and no video game goes on sale anywhere in any store unless Wal-Mart gives its approval.

Get the idea? The studios run afoul of Wal-Mart at their own risk. I expect more to sign-up with the iTMS as time goes on. Now that NBC-Universal has Jeff Zucker at the helm, things should speed up substantially.

"Mom's basement"? Is that your all purpose internet insult? It's cute when middle aged men get snarky.

I am well aware of Walmart's marketing might. I am also aware that the motion picture and recording industries have been almost comically self-defeating when it comes to negotiating the new world of digital downloads. In almost every instance their first impulse has been to embrace the least functional, most user unfriendly solution.

Expecting Walmart to serve as the vanguard of digital film downloads is more of the same. The fact that the motion picture and recording industries are utterly in the thrall to an entity as rapacious as Walmart would be funny if it wasn't such a impediment to progress.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    hegorhegor Posts: 160member
    The Wal-Mart deal is probably going to run aground. Same price as physical media, no extras, lots of DRM restrictions. At least iTunes is cheaper.

As for the Tivo service, sounds better, but not quite there. As someone above said, movie downloads are a wide open race.
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Wow, your first post is....... an ad for the new Amazon/Tivo download service. Within hours of its announcement.

So do they pay you cash or is it just discounts on services?

All I'm getting from "them" is a better offering than AppleTV. I've been *this close* to pre-ordering AppleTV for the last two weeks and then this announcement drops. Oh and I forgot to mention in my previous post that Unbox does rentals too. Honestly, why would someone pay more for less functionality?

The only thing that keeps this from being a no-brainer is that at this point I'm not willing to give up the iTunes + iPod ecosystem for my music needs, so going with Unbox + Tivo for video would fracture my media setup. And the AppleTV interface is so much nicer, which is a somewhat trivial thing but matters when you have guests over and such. Still there's no way I'm shelling out $300 when I can get more functionality for less. Since the Unbox + Tivo thing is still in beta I guess I have some time to see what happens with AppleTV. But in that time Apple needs higher resolution videos, more selection, rentals and DVR support for their product to be compelling.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    If Cingular (nee, at&t) + Apple = iPhone

then

why can't Netflix + Apple = Apple TV?

• Reply 25 of 29
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hegor View Post

The Wal-Mart deal is probably going to run aground. Same price as physical media, no extras, lots of DRM restrictions. At least iTunes is cheaper.

As for the Tivo service, sounds better, but not quite there. As someone above said, movie downloads are a wide open race.

Not quite there? What do you call Apples service - on the money?
  • Reply 26 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

http://www.tivo.com/1.0.demo.asp

For crissakes man. Is it that hard?

Yes, apparently it is. I just spent 10 minutes looking around the web site and couldn't find these answers. I didn't sit and listen to the demos as I can't have the sound on with others around doing other things. I've had a series 2 Tivo for over 2 years so I know some of these answers but what I was really looking for is confirmation of the statment made earlier in the thread by the TheRealist that this would offer higher resolution. Certianly the series 2 units do not and thats mostly whats out there. I couldn't find any spec sheet on the web site. Its probably there but well hidden.

From our years of experience using the TiVo I love the TV/DVR aspects of the UI but the rest of it is crap. I bought the home media option for $99 when it came out and have never used it. I ended up buying an eyehome because of the TiVo's lack of ACC support (not DRM'd) and the absolutely horrible interface for and rendering of photos. The colors and contrast are horrible.

So without seeing it or some real specs this all seems quite a lot like vaporware. Yes something will come out but what?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Does any one here know why Apple hasn't made a DVR? I've got TIVO and while I think it's pretty good, there's no doubt in my mind if Apple were to make one it would destroy TIVO. For those who have TIVO consider this, wouldn't it be nice to have spotlight to look up shows to record. Damn it just make the thing!
  • Reply 28 of 29
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

Does any one here know why Apple hasn't made a DVR?

For one DVR clashes with the iTunes business model.

For two cable companies are in a much better position to lock up the DVR market. That's why Tivo and Comcast came to a deal. Tivo will not survive if it does not work with cable.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

why can't Netflix + Apple = Apple TV?

I think some people subscribe to Netflix, rip and play through Appletv.