Internet running extremely slow - yet bandwidth test high..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
As the title says, my internet is running extremely slow on all pages. I reset my modem and router. I am plugged in so not using over wireless.

Im using macscan to check for spyware. Anything else I can do?

Oh and multiple bandwidth tests seem to show my internet is fast...

Argh..

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    What browser are you using?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    I am using both camino and safari...
  • Reply 3 of 20
    Also one other odd thing.. In safari in gmail, there are all of a sudden these really light blue almost single pixel wide lines next to most email subjects... I dont remember that being there before...
  • Reply 4 of 20
    That could be a DNS issue. Are you using the correct DNS server addresses from your ISP? Do you use DHCP inside your network? Is your Router set up correctly for DHCP?
  • Reply 5 of 20
    I havent touched a thing - last week everything was running smoothly and fast.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post

I havent touched a thing - last week everything was running smoothly and fast.

Hmm, so something outside your network is bad. Is web browsing in general very slow or does that happen only when using certain sites? What ending do these sites use? Are they all ".com"? Those ads / flash animations loading on almost every site could also be the problem as they might be hosted on slow servers. Changing DNS servers or using an adblocker helps a lot here.

Try to find out what DNS addresses your ISP recommends and then input them manually into the network configuration on your Mac. Only fill in the DNS information, though, and don't touch any other settings. If the problem persists, ask your ISP whether some maintenance is going on on his side.

And - though I know you already did - reset every single network device again. Shut down everything. Then power on first your router, wait one or two minutes, then power on any network switches / hardware firewall you might have, wait half a minute, then switch your computer on. Oh, and you checked the cabling already? No loose or damaged ethernet cables and all plugged in tightly?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    One more thing: try to create a new user on your machine and see if it happens there, too. If it does, some of the preferences for Camino or Safari are damaged.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    Well for example this site and gmail runs extremely slowly, but blackberryforums.com runs fine. I dunno everything just seems off... I even downloaded a virus scanner and checked everything - came up with nothing.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Quote:

Well for example this site and gmail runs extremely slowly, but blackberryforums.com runs fine. I dunno everything just seems off... I even downloaded a virus scanner and checked everything - came up with nothing.

I thought Macs didn't get viruses?
  • Reply 10 of 20
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    They don't. There's pretty much zero chance that his slowdown is being cause by a "virus", he's just trying anything he can think of.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    Try doing a traceroute using the network utility in /Applications/utilities. It will let you know how long it takes to get from one place to the next. Do a traceroute to appleinsider.com for example. You didn't install any ad blocker btw or modify your hosts database in any way?
  • Reply 12 of 20
    I havent changed anything... Just seems odd...Bandwidth tests keep coming back that my connection is very fast..
  • Reply 13 of 20
    What should I be looking for in a traceroute?
  • Reply 14 of 20
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Try running 'lookupd -flushcache' in Terminal. It will clear any DNS lookups that are sitting around, and force a fresh lookup from your isp for each site.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Is that the correct code for terminal? Do I need to do anything else in there? I typed it and it just gave me another prompt.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Go into your Network panel, open each network interface, and go to TCP/IP settings. In each interface, go to the bottom and turn off IPv6. Having IP v6 set to Automatic will slow down your DNS queries.

If there are any networks you're not using (Bluetooth, AirPort, Firewire), go to Show: Network Port Configurations and turn them *off*.
  • Reply 17 of 20
    Where do I do that? Sorry this is my first mac (24" iMac).
  • Reply 18 of 20
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    Quote:

Is that the correct code for terminal? Do I need to do anything else in there? I typed it and it just gave me another prompt.

yup, that's it. good luck on resolving your problem.
  • Reply 19 of 20
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Try switching to a different DNS server. 4.2.2.1 is a public server provided by level3.

Doing this will tell you if it is simply name resolution that is lagged.
  • Reply 20 of 20
    swingswing Posts: 52member
    If all else fails, download and install OnyX and run through some of its housecleaning tasks: http://www.titanium.free.fr/pgs2/english/download.html