XP Activation in Office v. X soon...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Kevin Browne: "We would have already implemented the activation mechanism in Office v. X if we had had the time and the people for it. "

More: "We are forced to it. There are four million legal Mac Office installations. It would surprise me if only twice as many users would use our product without having paid for it. The activation is a very good way to control."

That's according to an interview with German high profile tech magazine c't.

[ 11-16-2001: Message edited by: Strangelove ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Strangelove:

<strong>That's according to an interview with German high profile tech magazine c't.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

How about a direct link to the article. Many here speak German.

Escher
  • Reply 2 of 10
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    I have never owned a Copy of Office.. never had a reason to.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    [quote]How about a direct link to the article. Many here speak German.<hr></blockquote>

yeah...some are from switzerland i heard...here it comes:

<a href="http://www.heise.de/ct/01/24/052/"; target="_blank">Kevin Browne Interview [German]</a>
  • Reply 4 of 10
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by Strangelove:

<strong>

yeah...some are from switzerland i heard...here it comes:

[/URL]</strong><hr></blockquote>

Thanks, Strangelove. The online article is pretty short. Too bad the full interview will only be available in print. I doubt I'll be able to get c't here in the US and I'm not heading to Europe until mid-December. Oh well.

My only hope with all these intricate schemes to prevent pirating is that the added revenue will allow MS and other software vendors to charge more reasonable prices. But I fear the increased earnings will be passed on to shareholders and corporate coffers instead of customers.

Escher
  • Reply 5 of 10
    *cough* bullshit *cough*

• Reply 6 of 10
    [quote]Originally posted by Sinewave:

<strong>I have never owned a Copy of Office.. never had a reason to.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Exactly =D

• Reply 7 of 10
    Microsoft is doing this, simply because those who buy it legally aren't buying as often ... if at all, and any hope for significant future revenue from their OS and Office suite relies on smoking out those who haven' paid for it. This is partly what their .NET strategy is all about.

Microsoft is incorrect in assuming that those who currently use their software illegaly, would start paying for it, if unable to obtain by other means.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    [quote]Microsoft is incorrect in assuming that those who currently use their software illegaly, would start paying for it, if unable to obtain by other means.

<hr></blockquote>I agree. If I had to pay for Office I would not use it. I refuse to give MS any of my money for any reason at all.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    This is going to be like windows XP, every one will go grab the corporate version which has no activation key

Disclaimer:

Not that I know this from any experience. I do not have Windows XP nor any information on how or where to pirate it...
  • Reply 10 of 10
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    This activation buiness is a crock of shit. If I own several computers and want to install software from the same box on all of them, I will damn well do it. I consider the purchase to be in my name, not in the name of one box on my desk.