Buying Advice

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I need some advice.

I am currently considering buying a new Mac, but I am not sure what would best serve my needs.

I am a full time college student and therefore have very little money. Currently I am running a 12inch iBook G4 1GHz machine, and it does most things very well.

But I would like to buy something a little more substantial that will last me through the rest of my time in school. I am working on my bachelors degree and will ultimately get at least a masters, possibly my doctorate.

I have been having trouble deciding between the black MacBook and the base model MacBookPro. The blackbook is a better price for me, but I am concerned about the longevity with reguards mostly to the graphics card. I am not in any sort of visual arts program, so I do not need anything outrageously powerful, but I would like the option of loading Windows and playing games like Battle Field 2142 with some of my friends.

Other than the occasional games (which I can't use my current machine for obviously) I use my computer for multi-track digital recording, internet, mail, photo's, typing papers, keynote stuff, etc.

Please advise.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I think you would be quite happy with the base model MBP. If you want to do some gaming the macbook might be a little weak, but definitly an improvement from what you currently have.

I don't know what year of undergrad you are in, but if you just started then getting through your doctorate on the same machine will be tough. If thats the case, you could posibbly upgrade two times throughout your college career with the macbook for roughly the same price as a mbp. Just a thought.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by neyoung View Post

I think you would be quite happy with the base model MBP. If you want to do some gaming the macbook might be a little weak, but definitly an improvement from what you currently have.

I don't know what year of undergrad you are in, but if you just started then getting through your doctorate on the same machine will be tough. If thats the case, you could posibbly upgrade two times throughout your college career with the macbook for roughly the same price as a mbp. Just a thought.

Thanks. I was actually referring to my undergrad work. But you are right, I would be able to keep the same machine longer if I went for the MBP...
  • Reply 3 of 11
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    You might also consider Apple's refurb store to save a bit more money.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    I've a base model MBP with core 2 duo chip and 2 gbs of ram. It's a fine machine but I had to do it over I would get a black Macbook. Then I could either repalce it in 2-3 years, likely with a quad core chip at 3ghz, or get an iMac to go with my Macbook. With Intel, the chip evoultion looks more rapid than with ppc. The Macbook in 2 years is likely to be significantly faster than the MBP of today.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I've a base model MBP with core 2 duo chip and 2 gbs of ram. It's a fine machine but I had to do it over I would get a black Macbook. Then I could either repalce it in 2-3 years, likely with a quad core chip at 3ghz, or get an iMac to go with my Macbook. With Intel, the chip evoultion looks more rapid than with ppc. The Macbook in 2 years is likely to be significantly faster than the MBP of today.

That is INSANELY GREAT advice!
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by opnsource View Post

That is INSANELY GREAT advice!

lol, I guess thats kinda what I was getting at with this

Quote:
    Originally Posted by neyoung View Post

If thats the case, you could posibbly upgrade two times throughout your college career with the macbook for roughly the same price as a mbp. Just a thought.

but I didn't word it quite right, lol. I would recommend this route if the macbook will fit your needs
  • Reply 7 of 11
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Great minds think alike.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    the mac books suck at gaming and the video eats up system ram also gma 950 is slow with vista 3d desktop.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    I'm all for the MacBook. I'm a Ph.D. scientist and so far the MacBook does everything I need it to do - From doing simple writing, literature searches, and email to making complex figures in photoshop and illustrator for publication. However, I'm not a gamer so I don't have any experience on whether this machine will work for this purpose. My only problem is my display flickers a bit - which I'm hoping Apple will address this soon.

My suggestion (which is similar to the others in this thread) is to think about getting something now that will last you the rest of your bachelors and the first couple years of graduate school.

Once you pass the hurdle of your qualifying exams and you get into your dissertation research seriously think about upgrading your computer. You don't want to be writing your dissertation on something that is old and obsolete (believe me - you'll have enough headaches with non-computer issues).

Good luck with your studies

Dave

Quote:

I need some advice.

I am currently considering buying a new Mac, but I am not sure what would best serve my needs.

I am a full time college student and therefore have very little money. Currently I am running a 12inch iBook G4 1GHz machine, and it does most things very well.

But I would like to buy something a little more substantial that will last me through the rest of my time in school. I am working on my bachelors degree and will ultimately get at least a masters, possibly my doctorate.

I have been having trouble deciding between the black MacBook and the base model MacBookPro. The blackbook is a better price for me, but I am concerned about the longevity with reguards mostly to the graphics card. I am not in any sort of visual arts program, so I do not need anything outrageously powerful, but I would like the option of loading Windows and playing games like Battle Field 2142 with some of my friends.

Other than the occasional games (which I can't use my current machine for obviously) I use my computer for multi-track digital recording, internet, mail, photo's, typing papers, keynote stuff, etc.

Please advise.

• Reply 10 of 11
    Hey, everyone. Sorry to bring this thread back, but I was wondering if anyone knew of major updates coming for the MacBooks or the MacBook Pros anytime soon? I am probably going to have to wait till around October, as it turns out, but if for some reason I am able to buy my new Mac sooner, I really don't want to regret buying a new computer just before an update.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    jgbxjgbx Posts: 33member
    Quote:

Hey, everyone. Sorry to bring this thread back, but I was wondering if anyone knew of major updates coming for the MacBooks or the MacBook Pros anytime soon? I am probably going to have to wait till around October, as it turns out, but if for some reason I am able to buy my new Mac sooner, I really don't want to regret buying a new computer just before an update.

The WWDC is coming up in June, so if you can wait four months for a new machine, you'd probably be best served to wait until then. That's what I'm doing.

A peice of advice though, with as fast as the turn around is with the computer industry, it's best to just get what you need when you need it. About 6 months ago or so I came across a dual G5 at CompUSA for about $1000. I jumped on it since it was such a good deal and haven't looked back. Even by the new Intel standards, it's a workhorse that does everything I need it to extremely well. Most computers, if taken care of properly, will last you well beyond what they're supposed to.