Office v. X for Mac-Academic

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
As a student I can save approx. £236 on Office v. X by ordering through the Apple Store for Education.

Does anyone know if this "Mac-Academic" version is any different to the normal version?

Thanks,

J :cool:

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    It is exactly the same, in terms of the CD content. I have a funny feeling they might cut down on the packaging.

AJ
  • Reply 2 of 26
    We got `office 2001 Student Licence last year.

The Licence come in a box, but the CD came in a Jeffy bag!
  • Reply 3 of 26
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    I just ordered my copy of Office v.X from <a href="http://www.academicsuperstore.com"; target="_blank">www.academicsuperstore.com</a> for $199.

Escher
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Just ordered a copy Office V.X -Academic , from the apple store for Education. £128
  • Reply 5 of 26
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    [quote]Originally posted by Alpha Mac:

<strong>Just ordered a copy Office V.X -Academic , from the apple store for Education. £128</strong><hr></blockquote>

Me too. And an iPod
  • Reply 6 of 26
    If you use your Carracho Select Membership? you can get Office v.X for $.00US.

I still think they're asking a bit much, but hey, it is Microsoft.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    you know...

I would encourage people to grab office from either hotline or carracho

The new Office X only allows you to use the app for one year only! After that day you will have to pay to keep using it

This info is from Macintouch btw....
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Leonis, I just checked the Macintouch website and found no such story. Could you provide a link?

And, I read the EULA, and found no such language...no offense, but I think you're mistaken. Now, MS does have a yearly-licensing program for businesses and educational institutions:

<a href="http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=CampusAgreement"; target="_blank">http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=CampusAgreement</a>;

However, this is not the case with individuals, students, or similar purchasers.

I think this is a fear, being reported as "fact," related to licensing proposals for Office XP.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    In Macintouch. Go to the Office X report. Go to Nov 26 and you should see that reader's comment...
  • Reply 10 of 26
    I get it free from my campus. I just have to find someone with the CD. That wont be easy.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Sorry Leonis, that information isn't listed there anywhere, I read the whole page, including the Nov. 26 and 27 updates. Unless I've missed it, its not there. Besides, if it's not in the EULA, they could open themselves up for major lawsuits.

[ 11-27-2001: Message edited by: tuxbook731 ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 26
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Picked up a copy of Office v.X for the computer lab here at UT for $25 ($5 per CD).

Sucks to be you guys.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I'd double-check the agreement with that software. I just mentioned this in another thread, but what you've got is a special agreement your college made with MS to sell you those discs at $5 each per product. However, you don't actually own the software. Once you graduate, you can't use the copy you bought from the college to qualify for discounted upgrades in the future. It's great while you're in college though.

My college was considering this at one point, but didn't take it because of the hefty fee the college has to pay for this kind of liscencing.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Escher:

<strong>I just ordered my copy of Office v.X from <a href="http://www.academicsuperstore.com"; target="_blank">www.academicsuperstore.com</a> for $199.

Escher</strong><hr></blockquote>

I also ordered it from that store too. Soooooo glad I kept my college ID. That ID has saved me bundles in movie ticket prices and software
  • Reply 15 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>In Macintouch. Go to the Office X report. Go to Nov 26 and you should see that reader's comment...</strong><hr></blockquote>

Leonis, I'm assuming you're aware of the latest on the "renewal fees" ....if not, you should head over to As the Apple Turns. And, it was pretty crappy "journalism" in the first place....Macintouch should have actually read the EULA before publishing some jackasses' email. But, that's about all that can be expected from Mac users...(that's a joke by the way).

Anyway, let's hope the MS MacBU stays free of MS's recent "habits."

-Jennings
  • Reply 16 of 26
    Do you guys who ordered from <a href="http://www.academicsuperstore.com"; target="_blank">www.academicsuperstore.com</a> know if your copy is shipping yet, or have a firm date for shipping.

I ordered mine from Aple's Ed Store about a month ago and it still says there's a 10- 15 day lag from yesterday, and thats not definite.

Thanks

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: tuxbook731 ]</p>
  • Reply 17 of 26
    escherescher Posts: 1,811member
    [quote]Originally posted by tuxbook731:

<strong>I ordered mine from Aple's Ed Store about a month ago and it still says there's a 10- 15 day lag from yesterday, and thats not definite.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I talked to a lady on the phone at Academic Superstore on Monday and she said they had yet to receive anything from MS and did not have a clear ETA. I'm currently looking into Carracho as a temporary solution.

Escher
  • Reply 18 of 26
    thanks escher, I guess I'll stick with the order at the Apple store since I've already placed it.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I got tired of waiting as well, and I visited Carracho...and it's "ironic" sitting in school paying homage to intellectual property case law with this "hot" product...and it's even better with the Dean and a Professor on MS's payroll...and one professor responsible for mediating that settlement...it's quite clear of BUSL's pro-MS stance. The final nail: when students come to BUSL they're advised not to buy Mac's, and they have locked all Mac users out of the wireless network.

Now, I will buy the software when it's actually available (of course) but with my law school going out of it's way to aid and abet a monopoly....I don't know, maybe mac users should avoid BUSL.

-Jennings
  • Reply 20 of 26
    For all of you in the UK, I understand that John Lewis stores are going to be carrying it, at £129, and they say that it's the £499 package. Looks like I could be making my first ever MS purchase...