Target disk mode--can I go from a G4 to a Mac Pro?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I just bought a Mac Pro. I have a G4. Can I use target disk mode to copy data from my G4 to my Mac Pro? I looked on Apple's support site and the Mac Pro isn't listed as a model that can be a target disk. But I have to believe that it will support it. Or is there some issue with the PPC vs. the Intel chips? It shouldn't be since it's over FireWire.

If I can do this, can someone tell me the details of how to do it? If I can't use target disk mode, what's the best way short of a bunch of DVD-Rs to copy a lot of data across from one computer to another?

I would greatly appreciate whatever tips, information, etc. anyone could give me. Thank you in advance.

Scott:

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyc2phx View Post

I just bought a Mac Pro. I have a G4. Can I use target disk mode to copy data from my G4 to my Mac Pro?

Sure.

Quote:

If I can do this, can someone tell me the details of how to do it?

Hold down 't' while booting the G4. It should show a FireWire logo. Then, boot the Mac Pro. The G4's hard drive should appear mounted as a FireWire device in the Finder.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    leonardleonard Posts: 528member
    Actually the migration assistant on the Mac Pro will do this for you. When you start up a new Mac for the first time it'll walk you through the steps to migrate your data over using firewire target disk mode.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Migration Assistant is the way to go. If you have already skipped that step in setting up your Mac Pro, just run the Migration Assistant from its location in the /Applications/Utilities folder.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Will I be able to copy data from both drives in my G4?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    yeah this should work but I believe you need TIger on both of the machines
  • Reply 6 of 7
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyc2phx View Post

Will I be able to copy data from both drives in my G4?

Yes, but not with the Migration Assistant. Do that first to get your account properly copied over, and then do the FireWire Target Disk Mode to manually drag over the other data files.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Just got a refurbished MBP C2D and transfered all my files from my Ti Powerbook with no prblem using the Migration Assistant during the set up.