Glass-adorned Apple Store Sydney revealed (images)

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Buck View Post

I think it looks absolutely horrible and quite old-fashioned. What's with this black slab with glass "window" nonsense? Uh. These just don't look Apple at all.

It's a giant widescreen iPod model. I am not kidding.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    sunilramansunilraman Posts: 8,133member
    Note that Apple Australia HQ has moved from somewhere North Sydney into the Hilton Building (the renovated/ refurbished one) on Pitt Street, just 500m south of the future flagship Apple Store location.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajmas View Post

While the revamp of the building looks interesting, the look of the existing building is not something to write home about. In the end you try what you can.

Yeah, the existing building is not that super great, but yeah, it's the transparent glass frontage that makes it an Apple Store flagship style, besides there's a ton of other high-rise office buildings that are just *meh* around the CBD anyway. From ground level, clearly the Apple Store will stand out like a glittering jewel... of Mac heaven-ness.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Facts aren't supposed to get in the way of a story. Haven't you heard this?

8) King Street Wharf is cool, I spent a bit of time in 2003/2004 as it was just launching. There was a bar where we watched some World Cup rugby or something. And a bit of food and alcoholic beverages at the Bungalow or something looking out over the "spectacular maritime setting", nice.

I'm sure Kasper and gang will edit the article once the weekend is over. Hopefully.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    [cross-post, bear with me]

Just IN: Apple Australia has announced a rebranding in line with their flagship Apple Store Openings: (image)

• Reply 26 of 30
    This will come as welcome relief for most Mac Sydneysiders that work in the CBD. A couple of weeks ago, I walked into my nearest Apple store's service dept (about 12 blocks away, the new one will be 3 blocks away!), they had signs up everywhere that said "any machine left for service will not be looked at for at least 8-10 working days", I walked straight out, I can't be without my laptop for that long. Hopefully the service dept in the "Apple" store will be a real "service" dept, bring it on!
  • Reply 27 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sud35 View Post

This will come as welcome relief for most Mac Sydneysiders that work in the CBD. A couple of weeks ago, I walked into my nearest Apple store's service dept (about 12 blocks away, the new one will be 3 blocks away!), they had signs up everywhere that said "any machine left for service will not be looked at for at least 8-10 working days", I walked straight out, I can't be without my laptop for that long. Hopefully the service dept in the "Apple" store will be a real "service" dept, bring it on!

Totally. I can't be without my laptop now for even a few days. 1 calendar week for the techs at AppleCentre Malvern (outer Melbourne) to look at the fan and replace the LCD, was painful enough. They were great though, it was over the AustraliaDay holiday so from dropoff to pickup it was 4 working days inclusive.

Apple Store official Sydney & Melbourne will probably introduce ProCare which AFAIK is not offered in Australia, unlike the Apple Store official shops in US and UK.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sud35 View Post

Try Taylor's Square in Surry Hills - just several blocks up from Hyde Park. It's a fairly big-ish setup as you probably know. (?)
  • Reply 29 of 30
    I know the location well - it was a Westpac branch - I haven't worked in the city few a few years, so I didn't know it as closed.

Very solid, traditional old building - but they have their work cut out for themselves. Can't wait to see what they do with it.

For non-Sydneysiders, it's one street over from the Pitt Street Mall, right in the centre of the CBD, and will get plenty of pedestrian traffic. It will engender a lot of good will if it spruces the look of the general area up a bit. Westpac did nothing with it as they have a number pf flagship branches in the area.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Try Taylor's Square in Surry Hills - just several blocks up from Hyde Park. It's a fairly big-ish setup as you probably know. (?)

AppleCentre TS have always been good to me, nice guys. They've moved up to Bondi Junction now, which is a bit more of a hike, I only just realised a couple of days ago though, that their service dept is still at Taylor Square, so I'll have to pop in (I only wanted someone to test my Superdrive, it's new but not working). On the whole though, I've found the whole computer service industry (not just Mac) to be a bit hit and miss, mostly miss.

Back to main topic, the site they've chosen will be ideal, lots of people work and shop in that area. I would've liked to have seen them in the old Gowings building (as first rumoured here early last year?) , one block closer to me and right in the heart of the shopping district.