The Mac from Now until June 2007

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Programmer View Post

Before 2002 virtually all of the Apple WWDCs were in May (don't recall one in April, and occasionally I think they would overlap into June). Apple had a standing booking at the Moscone Center all the way back into the late 80s.

Umm, they didn't use Moscone for WWDC until 2003. It used to be in San Jose.
  • Reply 22 of 37
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/

11th to 15th June, four months ...
  • Reply 23 of 37
    I doubt Apple will add a 15" non-Pro MacBook. Right now there is a US $600 difference between the black MacBook and the base model of MacBook Pro. If they were to add a 15" model it would be priced higher than the 13.3" models, and the gap between consumer models and the pro models would decrease by about half. I think they will keep a bit more distinction between the two lines.

Best bet is an upgraded version of the Black Macbook...
  • Reply 24 of 37
    I just want new Mac Pros! Where are they???
  • Reply 25 of 37
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fuzz_ball View Post

I just want new Mac Pros! Where are they???

Very good question!
  • Reply 26 of 37
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Friends

Do you think Apple will offer 1TB hard disk drives in the next iteration of its Mac Pro? In a press release from early January storage manufacturer Hitachi stated that it would ship 1TB Deskstar-branded hard drives in the first calendar quarter of this year.

I know Apple charges too much for its components, but if a 1TB hard drive were available for about the same upgrade charge that a 750GB drive currently exacts, then I might be tempted to spend more with the Apple Store.

Do you think Mac Pro DRAM prices will drop between now and April?

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 27 of 37
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Do you think Apple will offer 1TB hard disk drives in the next iteration of its Mac Pro?

Sounds good to me! 4 TB in a MacPro = swwweeeet!
  • Reply 28 of 37
    I will get a mac mini as soon as they hit c2d with 802.11n for use as media machine, I'll get a new airport extreme as well.

Hope they hurry some !
  • Reply 29 of 37
    sandausandau Posts: 1,230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gsxrboy View Post

I will get a mac mini as soon as they hit c2d with 802.11n for use as media machine, I'll get a new airport extreme as well.

Hope they hurry some !

don't worry about a thing, they'll cripple or discontinue it (mini) before they'll let it compete with the Apple TV...
  • Reply 30 of 37
    cubitcubit Posts: 846member
    How do you figure that sandau? Apple TV isn't a computer.

I am very disappointed that we've not seen anything on either the display front or the new processor front with the MacPro yet, but I guess everything is on hold for Leopard. When it ships the snake will move the stuff backed up on through.
  • Reply 31 of 37
    Well folks, it's been almost a month since the first post of this thread. We all have what we *want* to see in mind (I'd like a 12" MBP, others want a 15" MB, others want an upgraded Mac Mini, still more want to see an even more advanced Mac Pro, etc.), though some are far more likely than others to happen.

So, would anyone (DHagan4775?) care to update the predictions now that we've seen what has and hasn't appeared so far?

Steve Jobs *did* say that there would be some good things coming for Macs this year didn't he? Or did I imagine hearing that?

Cheers,

CT
  • Reply 32 of 37
    Here's a revised timeline as I see it. I thought I was being conservative in the first iteration! Here goes:

Early January:

• Macworld - announcements but no new shipping products.

End of January:

• Airport Extreme n base station shipping

Late February:

• Mac mini quiet announcement - Core 2 Duo processors + 802.11n capabilities

• Cinema Displays price drop

Mid March (after quarterly earnings call):

Special Event

• New "Top Secret" Leopard features revealed, shipping April 28

• New Mac Pros announced - Quad core technology

• Adobe shows off Intel-native CS3 on Mac Pro 8-core system

Early April:

• iLife & iWork announced quietly on website

Early-to-mid May:

Special Event

• New iMacs announced

- New high resolution display

- Shipping with Leopard

Early June:

• iPhones start shipping

• New iPods based on iPhone multi-touch technology and software

June @ WWDC:

• New Cinema Displays; brighter with higher PPI and support for Leopard's RI.

• New MacBook Pro Announced

— Shipping with 10.5 Leopard

— Santa Rosa chip set with 800Mhz FSB, etc.

— New high resolution display (~160 ppi), with resolution independence, and 15-inch model backlit with LED technology

— Adopts some key features from MacBook: removeable hard drive, magnetic latch

— new enclosure?

• Adobe Photoshop bake off
  • Reply 33 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Here's a revised timeline as I see it. I thought I was being conservative in the first iteration! Here goes: ...

Thanks for your updated predictions! I haven't been following Macs or Apple for all that long, so it's nice to see what someone else thinks will happen. Granted, you're probably at least a little off, if not a lot, but they're probably the best guesses I've seen.

I hope you're right!

Cheers,

CT
  • Reply 34 of 37
    The Mac Mini has kind of strayed from the $500 mac - I'd love to see it return to that low price point. I'm wondering how much of a revision it will honestly get, or if it's just going to continue to stagger a little higher and a little higher in price until it's lost it's appeal to switchers

But if it were to stay at the same price point, I'd LOVE to see the option (pay for of course) to go with intel's dekstop X3000 vs the lappy version that will probably be stock. The difference is said to be about 50% faster if you have the cpu to back it up, and with multi-threading OpenGL I think the core 2 duo could hack it for many applications.
  • Reply 35 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

Here's a revised timeline as I see it. I thought I was being conservative in the first iteration! Here goes:

Early January:

? Macworld - announcements but no new shipping products.

End of January:

? Airport Extreme n base station shipping

Late February:

? Mac mini quiet announcement - Core 2 Duo processors + 802.11n capabilities

? Cinema Displays price drop

Mid March (after quarterly earnings call):

Special Event

? New "Top Secret" Leopard features revealed, shipping April 28

? New Mac Pros announced - Quad core technology

? Adobe shows off Intel-native CS3 on Mac Pro 8-core system

Early April:

? iLife & iWork announced quietly on website

Early-to-mid May:

Special Event

? New iMacs announced

- New high resolution display

- Shipping with Leopard

Early June:

? iPhones start shipping

? New iPods based on iPhone multi-touch technology and software

June @ WWDC:

? New Cinema Displays; brighter with higher PPI and support for Leopard's RI.

? New MacBook Pro Announced

? Shipping with 10.5 Leopard

? Santa Rosa chip set with 800Mhz FSB, etc.

? New high resolution display (~160 ppi), with resolution independence, and 15-inch model backlit with LED technology

? Adopts some key features from MacBook: removeable hard drive, magnetic latch

? new enclosure?

? Adobe Photoshop bake off

I would say that most of these predictions could be true. There is only one that I dissagree with, and that's the "quiet" iLife and iWork announcement. If Apple makes the same sort of changes between the '06 and '07 versions that they made from the first iLife, they will want to make a big deal about it. Maybe a special event that would include this announcement and others, since iLife isn't a big enough deal to have it's own event...
  • Reply 36 of 37
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    I honestly have no idea what Apple could be waiting on to unveil Leopard.

Vista's already on the shelves. What's the problem if Leopard's not ready? We've waited six months for an OS before. A WWDC release would be fine if it needs that much time.

But few people want to pull the trigger on buying iMacs or Mac Pros not knowing what Leopard will bring to the table or when. Unless Apple has found a way for the Leopard/iLife/iWork combo to utilize the forthcoming 8-cores, it seems to make no sense to force some of your best customers to play a waiting game.

Most Pro Design customers are waiting on CS3 and Leopard to upgrade to Intel machines. If Apple and Adobe will need till June to finish the software side properly, it makes sense to offer Mac Pros now with a cheaper version of the CS 2.3 suite and a free Leopard upgrade.

Unless the 8-core machines will truly make a huge difference. Then it makes sense to hold everything back.