Duh question?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Simple qestion maybe, but what's your take on the simplest most efficient way to make a duplicate of a DVD that contanis folders and movies on it? (Using only an iMac)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    Depends how much free space you have on your HD. It also helps to know if you have an external DVD burner.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iPeon View Post

Depends how much free space you have on your HD. It also helps to know if you have an external DVD burner.

Over 20GB free space and no external DVD burner.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

use MacTheRipper i guess and then use another program to burn it on

http://www.mactheripper.org/
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

use MacTheRipper i guess and then use another program to burn it on

MacTheRipper was my first instinct, but the "GO!" button is grayed out.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    so go to google, and type dvd decrypters for mac, and if it costs money for the program go to www.isohunt.com and find it and download it for free.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    typical reply. too complicated. what's an easy way to do it?
  • Reply 7 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xyz001 View Post

typical reply. too complicated. what's an easy way to do it?

You think like me, I like that.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I that case, drag and drop contents from DVD into desktop, then drag and drop that into a blank DVD and burn it.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    Quote:

I that case, drag and drop contents from DVD into desktop, then drag and drop that into a blank DVD and burn it.

if the dvds not already burned then it will have copyright software on it and won't be able to get riped like that. Unless macs do this and i don't know about it.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

The DVD is a burned DVD, it have some photos and 'mpeg' movies on it in six folders, yet it still wont let me drag and drop the contents onto my Mac. I'd already tried that before I posted the thread.

Here's what happened when I tried to copy over one of the .mpg files on to a folder on my desktop;

"The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in 'filename.mpg' could not be read or written. (Error Code -36.)"
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Sounds like a read error. More info here. I hope that helps. Let us know what ended up being the problem.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Sounds like a read error. More info here. I hope that helps. Let us know what ended up being the problem.

I think there has been a small miscommunication here, the files play fine from the the DVD when clicked on, I just can't rip the DVD or drag its contents. Thanks for the help by the way, it's much appreciated.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    Weird. You need to make an .iso of it. Make a disk image of it, eject, put in blank DVD, then burn. This is with a nice shiny copy of Toast8 I have though 8) ... Toast7 should be cool too.

If you don't have Toast use Disk Utility to make an image of it then burn it through the Finder. Umm... somehow...

Overall the strategy is not to rip or copy files, it is to image the whole disc then burn the image to blank DVD.

Try that somehow
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I tried Disk Utility too, no luck, this thing must have been encrypted in Russia.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    crazy russians and their encrypters
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

crazy russians and their encrypters

The better you are at hacking, the better you are at encrypting? Heh.