Wonka-style Apple flagship proposed for Melbourne's Fun Factory redevelopment

Comments

• Reply 21 of 51
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Come on, why give the Ausies a store when Manhattan has so few
  • Reply 22 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

Awww yeah... I remember now. Thanks mate 8)

Is it bad that we remember it from the late-90's [?]

F*k I'm getting old, man...! And I'm only 28. Is it still around?

Probably not... Mmmm... some good daquiris besides their boutique ice-cream(?)-ice cocktail stuff.

Oh yeah, it's still there. I just walked past it 10 minutes ago...and thought of you.
  • Reply 23 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jasondotcom View Post

Oh yeah, it's still there. I just walked past it 10 minutes ago...and thought of you.

Heh. I'm leaving Melbourne next Wednesday. A friend of mine from the Netherlands is supposed to be in town, and we're trying to catch up before I leave. She was part of our "uni group" here when I moved from Brisvegas to MelbourneUni to finish my 4th year of Science. Geez... Can't believe it's still there.
  • Reply 24 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by a_greer View Post

Come on, why give the Ausies a store when Manhattan has so few

Heh. We'll have TWO stores now... Sydney + Melbourne ..... Wooooooo
  • Reply 25 of 51
    That's awesome, i love it. But the people in that area think far too highly of themselves, i'm more of a cbd person -- i wish they'd put it in Melbourne Central when they were developing that complex.
  • Reply 26 of 51
    I'd just like to add, that this is the sexiest Apple Store I've seen.

I hope none stands in the way of Apple, heh.

-tj
  • Reply 27 of 51
    Quote:

Heh. I'm leaving Melbourne next Wednesday. A friend of mine from the Netherlands is supposed to be in town, and we're trying to catch up before I leave. She was part of our "uni group" here when I moved from Brisvegas to MelbourneUni to finish my 4th year of Science. Geez... Can't believe it's still there.

I thought you were in BrisVegas...you seem to get around a bit...
  • Reply 28 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

That's awesome, i love it. But the people in that area think far too highly of themselves, i'm more of a cbd person -- i wish they'd put it in Melbourne Central when they were developing that complex.

I'm more a 'dark end' of Chapel kind of guy and hadn't been up the ritzy end for ages until today. You are so right, wankers as far as the eye could see.
  • Reply 29 of 51
    I reckon Eastern End of the CBD. Collins St is a good place, well, a very good place. But imagine if it was in a laneway, or something like Flinders La, or Little Collins.

MMM nummy.
  • Reply 30 of 51
    moochmooch Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ashish100 View Post

I reckon Eastern End of the CBD. Collins St is a good place, well, a very good place. But imagine if it was in a laneway, or something like Flinders La, or Little Collins.

MMM nummy.

Canada's apple stores suck. I wonder when we'll get a cool one.
  • Reply 31 of 51
    Exactly what about that is Wonka-styled? If that's Willie Wonka-styling, then Wonka was one dull mofo.
  • Reply 32 of 51
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbsstunta View Post

Exactly what about that is Wonka-styled? If that's Willie Wonka-styling, then Wonka was one dull mofo.

Good Point. I was thinking closer to Guggenheim Bilbao, a place that has very few straight lines. The few that are there aren't parallel or perpendicular to anything.
  • Reply 33 of 51
    Quote:

I thought you were in BrisVegas...you seem to get around a bit...

A bit of a global vagabond, I be. \
  • Reply 34 of 51
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tbsstunta View Post

I think it's just a story element AppleInsider has thrown in. Melbourne in this decade, and progressively through the 90's, have moved in a very post-modern way in terms of architecture.

A major development, for example, is a quite bizzare "Federation Square" (images below). Also Eureka Towers which is not necessarily a standard-looking skyscraper.

The FunFactory redevelopment (as in the whole complex) won't be as "crazy" but generally will be post-modernistic. Unlike the trendy-futuristic of Dubai skyscrapers, or the clean cube lines of AppleStore NYC flagship, AppleStore SanFrancisco for example. Of course the Apple part of FunFactory will be fairly clean and cube-y, I think... Wonka factor probably comes in from the surrounding elements of the building/ apartment/ cafe/ retail complex.

That's my take on it at the moment anyway.

Federation Square:

Eureka Tower:

• Reply 35 of 51
    Quote:

I'm more a 'dark end' of Chapel kind of guy and hadn't been up the ritzy end for ages until today. You are so right, wankers as far as the eye could see.

Completely agree

I don't live far from the area, in fact I cycle past the site every morning on my way to the city.

Very glad Apple is coming to Australia with its Melbourne and Sydney stores.

But why place a premium store like the proposed Melbourne one anywhere but in the city itself!

Unless Apple wants to do itself out of sales.
  • Reply 36 of 51
    Quote:

Haven't you heard? Only wankers buy Macs.

The PC and Mac guy ads made that quite clear.
  • Reply 37 of 51
    [cross-post, bear with me]

Nonetheless, Apple Australia has announced a rebranding in line with their flagship Apple Store Openings: (image)

• Reply 38 of 51
    Quote:

[cross-post, bear with me]

Nonetheless, Apple Australia has announced a rebranding in line with their flagship Apple Store Openings: (image)

is that a granny smith apple
  • Reply 39 of 51
    Quote:

I think it's just a story element AppleInsider has thrown in. Melbourne in this decade, and progressively through the 90's, have moved in a very post-modern way in terms of architecture.

A major development, for example, is a quite bizzare "Federation Square" (images below). Also Eureka Towers which is not necessarily a standard-looking skyscraper.

The FunFactory redevelopment (as in the whole complex) won't be as "crazy" but generally will be post-modernistic. Unlike the trendy-futuristic of Dubai skyscrapers, or the clean cube lines of AppleStore NYC flagship, AppleStore SanFrancisco for example. Of course the Apple part of FunFactory will be fairly clean and cube-y, I think... Wonka factor probably comes in from the surrounding elements of the building/ apartment/ cafe/ retail complex.

Somehow I doubt Appleinsider knows much about architectural trends in Melbourne. According to the urban dictionary of slang "wonka style" means sleeping head-to-toe with someone, ala the wonka grandparents.

It could also mean a giveaway of gold tickets hidden in iPod packaging. Tickets to a special afternoon of adventure with Uncle Steve at his brand new Fun Factory. I bet AI knows more about this than they're letting on.
  • Reply 40 of 51
    I agree with some of the other posters here. living in melbourne, i think this is a terrible site to put the store. I think gutting a site in the city cbd and moving in where it would have a lot more exposure would make more sense. The proposed site means people will have to almost make special trips!