A little bird told me

Comments

• Reply 261 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greenacres View Post

Any time frame you know of for the iMac update?

Hmmm... APPARENTLY, MacWorld was supposed to see its introduction...

Based on that, I am inclined to think that it will be released with Leopard, but that's just me.

My reasoning is that Leopard will introduce a LOT of power-hungry services, some not yet known, that would justify the iMac "radical" upgrade. I am talking about the CORE Audio/Video/Animation as well as a unmentioned goodie ( Jobs mentioned secret features). IMHO, this will be a very evolved (CORE FEATURES) Finder and brand new GUI. For me this is the most plausible SECRET we will see surface with Leopard. 8)
  • Reply 262 of 377
    Cool, thanks for the info - this sounds exciting!
  • Reply 263 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PB View Post

May I ask, what is a GIGASWITCH?

A Switch is a network device that isolates network branches thus multiplying he available theoretical bandwidth for N times(N being the number of connected stations) (up to the modulation limit) in a CSMA/CD medium access protocol like 802.3 for example.

A hub just provides medium access in a CAT5 type cabling network.
  • Reply 264 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy View Post

Hmmm... APPARENTLY, MacWorld was supposed to see its introduction...

Based on that, I am inclined to think that it will be released with Leopard, but that's just me.

My reasoning is that Leopard will introduce a LOT of power-hungry services, some not yet known, that would justify the iMac "radical" upgrade. I am talking about the CORE Audio/Video/Animation as well as a unmentioned goodie ( Jobs mentioned secret features). IMHO, this will be a very evolved (CORE FEATURES) Finder and brand new GUI. For me this is the most plausible SECRET we will see surface with Leopard. 8)

if the iMac is that different, then it makes sense that it will rely on Leopard technology (just as it makes sense that iphone uses Leopard not Tiger). It also makes sense that if Leopard has great new stuff, the iMac is the computer they would showcase it on first (it is the figurehead system). it is very possible, if not even probable, that Leopard will include features which will not work on earlier machines (we know about Multi-touch etc, but more importantly, read between the lines of their Vista ads, they have been VERY quiet about the need for most people to upgrade their PCs.)

Going back to EG's (can I call you EG, or would you prefer Euro? ) comments about DRM, together with other rumours I have heard, just as vague, about inter-operability, a couple of ideas strike me.

1) Windows software will run under Rosetta.

2) Apple's file-viewing apps (Preview, Quicktime) will be able to open just about every file type you can think of (developed for the iPhone as well, of course)

3) iLife 07 will include a poem-compositing tool
  • Reply 265 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

if the iMac is that different, then it makes sense that it will rely on Leopard technology (just as it makes sense that iphone uses Leopard not Tiger). It also makes sense that if Leopard has great new stuff, the iMac is the computer they would showcase it on first (it is the figurehead system). it is very possible, if not even probable, that Leopard will include features which will not work on earlier machines (we know about Multi-touch etc, but more importantly, read between the lines of their Vista ads, they have been VERY quiet about the need for most people to upgrade their PCs.)

Going back to EG's (can I call you EG, or would you prefer Euro? ) comments about DRM, together with other rumours I have heard, just as vague, about inter-operability, a couple of ideas strike me.

1) Windows software will run under Rosetta.

2) Apple's file-viewing apps (Preview, Quicktime) will be able to open just about every file type you can think of (developed for the iPhone as well, of course)

3) iLife 07 will include a poem-compositing tool

Interesting points...

- As I said too, I think we should not exclude some Leopard specific features running a full force on the new iMac, although defaulting to JUST running on older hardware.

Again, this is just MY speculation, but if little bird mentioned radical I'm thinking RADICAL in terms of graphics perfomance on the new iMac. Whether this would be multi core GPUs or multicore CPUs it remains to be seen.

Of course, the "spilled beans" point mainly to different form factors and hardware features/functionality/gadgtery.

- You can call me Euro ( I'm a APPL stockholder too )

- Again, new software, namely iWork, iLife and the new apps will need a lot of power. I think they will showcase , better than before, the SECRET aspect of the new OS and the RADICAL approach taken on the upcoming iMac.

Here's to wishful thinking.
  • Reply 266 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dutch pear View Post

Moreover I'm very curious what kind of "little bird" finds his way from Cupertino to Portugal

Portugal is much bigger than its borders.
  • Reply 267 of 377
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cutemartin View Post

if the iMac is that different, then it makes sense that it will rely on Leopard technology (just as it makes sense that iphone uses Leopard not Tiger).

Sorry, it doesn't. Just think about it: you are saying that hardware (iMac) will rely on software (Leopard technology). If anything, it is software that relies on certain hardware, not the other way round. Oh, and what do you mean when you say the iPhone uses Leopard?
  • Reply 268 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by costique View Post

Sorry, it doesn't. Just think about it: you are saying that hardware (iMac) will rely on software (Leopard technology). If anything, it is software that relies on certain hardware, not the other way round. Oh, and what do you mean when you say the iPhone uses Leopard?

Hardware and software go hand in hand, of course. There's not a lot of point in having, say, a touchscreen if you don't have software to support it. Nor is there much point having the software if you haven't got the touchscreen!

What I was trying to say (admittedly not very clearly ) was that if, as has been claimed, the new iMac will be radically different (for example if it had a touch screen) then it will require software support that is not present in Tiger (AFAIK), but would presumably be present in the up-coming Leopard. Hence such a radically new iMac is unlikely to be launched before Leopard.
  • Reply 269 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by costique View Post

All I can say is this:

Steve Jobs posted a slide in MacWorld that read

' If you are serious about software you should make your own hardware"

This a VERY powerfull statement. Now , think about Leopard...
  • Reply 270 of 377
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Hmm, to be ROLOed. That means being pummeled on this message board for trying to share a rumor that didn't pan out.

All too often, people come on here and knowingly spread false rumors. The deserve to be ill-treated. Sometimes, though, a well-meaning chap will post a rumor with nothing but good intentions. If the rumor turns out to not be true, the barbs start flying with vicious vengeance. Not fair.

As it turns out, the rumor about the Apple TV turned out to be mostly true but the timing was off. Everything about the rumor was true except for the flat panel TV part (except Apple will be showing off its new ?TV with a 40" LCD TV like the Sony Bravia).

Good luck, European Guy.
  • Reply 271 of 377
    Quote:

All I can say is this:

Steve Jobs posted a slide in MacWorld that read

' If you are serious about software you should make your own hardware"

This a VERY powerfull statement. Now , think about Leopard...

Aha! So, Apple is making a real time machine!! It is due to be completed in 2017, but will be released next week. Steve Jobs is not worried about the backdating scandal because the options weren't really back-dated, they were approved by the shareholders 40 years from now.

European Guy knows all this because he is in fact Jobs' great-great grandson, and the little bird is actually a dinosaur.
  • Reply 272 of 377
    Quote:

Interesting points...

- As I said too, I think we should not exclude some Leopard specific features running a full force on the new iMac, although defaulting to JUST running on older hardware.

Again, this is just MY speculation, but if little bird mentioned radical I'm thinking RADICAL in terms of graphics perfomance on the new iMac. Whether this would be multi core GPUs or multicore CPUs it remains to be seen.

Of course, the "spilled beans" point mainly to different form factors and hardware features/functionality/gadgtery.

- You can call me Euro ( I'm a APPL stockholder too )

- Again, new software, namely iWork, iLife and the new apps will need a lot of power. I think they will showcase , better than before, the SECRET aspect of the new OS and the RADICAL approach taken on the upcoming iMac.

Here's to wishful thinking.

Someone on this board mentioned Time Machine needing a second HD. Is it possible that new iMacs will have a second drive option? That would fit with the idea of needing new iMacs to run parts of Leopard. As far as having the power to run Leopard, that's exactly what Microsoft did with Vista. They created a super hungry OS that most folks said you need a very new system to run.
  • Reply 273 of 377
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Hmm, to be ROLOed. That means being pummeled on this message board for trying to share a rumor that didn't pan out.

All too often, people come on here and knowingly spread false rumors. The deserve to be ill-treated. Sometimes, though, a well-meaning chap will post a rumor with nothing but good intentions. If the rumor turns out to not be true, the barbs start flying with vicious vengeance. Not fair.

As it turns out, the rumor about the Apple TV turned out to be mostly true but the timing was off. Everything about the rumor was true except for the flat panel TV part (except Apple will be showing off its new ?TV with a 40" LCD TV like the Sony Bravia).

Good luck, European Guy.

I thought your rumour was, actually, right on the money, but, people seem to forget that a rumour is just that, hearsay or comments from a more or less reliable source.

I am not claiming that my source is better than anyone's imagination. but, people talk, and even a well informed source can be wrong. The little bird thread was created because.

- My source is well informed.

- It is a long time friend that deserves MY credibility.

- It was passed along to me with almost a "riddle like" tone just like I posted here.

- I believe it.

That said, one can almost "predict" any Apple product in the pipeline. Pure reasoning alone would indicate Apple's line of computers are well in need of a "leap forward" in comparison with the PC competitors. Better said, PC competitors are all crying for new Apple products to get any ideas and start copying... Remember, any Mac is now "a PC" from a hardware standpoint.So differentiation is called not only in Leopard but in hardware too.

I still think the new iMac will indeed be a very cool and new machine and not just a minor evolution. We shall see...
  • Reply 274 of 377
    Quote:

That said, one can almost "predict" any Apple product in the pipeline. Pure reasoning alone would indicate Apple's line of computers are well in need of a "leap forward" in comparison with the PC competitors. Better said, PC competitors are all crying for new Apple products to get any ideas and start copying... Remember, any Mac is now "a PC" from a hardware standpoint.So differentiation is called not only in Leopard but in hardware too.

I still think the new iMac will indeed be a very cool and new machine and not just a minor evolution. We shall see...

I think this is a great argument for the new iMac. The PC manufacturers are (sort of) catching up with the design of Apples flagship computer; including that (messy) new touch screen machine (from HP?) that Microsoft is touting as the perfect compliment to Vista.

I should imagine Apple is working on (what I shall call) Phase 2 of the Intel strategy and that must include new designs/features. Phase 1 was the evolutionary step that showed people that the Mac is still a Mac (with Intel inside). Now we should be expecting a move to Phase 2 with Leopard, New Quad Core Intel Chips and New Features/Designs. This should start happening in the second half of the year (first phase 2 machine could be released at WWDC).

I hope we start to see some really cool innovations as listed in the tons of patents published in the last 18-36 months.

* Enclosures that change or manipulate light and/or color (in one of the patents i seem to recall)

* Multi-Touch

* iSight cameras built/blended into the screen (not the bezel)

* Magsafe and Magnetic Latch for MacBook Pro

* Motion Sensors, LED Screens, GPS

• Reply 275 of 377
    gugygugy Posts: 794member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

except Apple will be showing off its new ?TV with a 40" LCD TV like the Sony Bravia).

wow, people still think Apple will make TV's.

Very, Very unlikely to happen, just like Apple will make again printers and digital cameras.
  • Reply 276 of 377
    hirohiro Posts: 2,663member
    Quote:

I thought your rumour was, actually, right on the money, but, people seem to forget that a rumour is just that, hearsay or comments from a more or less reliable source.

Rolo didn't pass a rumor, he passed off faked, made-up product specs as a "leaked" scoop. Suckered in O'Grady too! I would say more but it really doesn't need to be dug into in depth all over again.
  • Reply 277 of 377
    Straight from the dead bird beak :

"Release of something is eminent "

• Reply 278 of 377
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Beatles on iTunes?
  • Reply 279 of 377
    Dell optiplex harddisk upgrades?
  • Reply 280 of 377
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    hahaha Vista Home Basic to Home Premium ;0)