What MP3 search engine do you use?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
With Napster long gone. There seems to be a huge number of apps appearing to get mp3s. iMesh, Aimster, Bearshare, Limewire, MP3 Rage, Morpheus, etc... What apps is everybody using?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    The only optoin we basically have is Limewire.

Lazy programmers aren't programing morpheus for mac grrr
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I use gnapster under Linux. It uses openNap servers, which are basically just like Napster except there are more of them and they are run privately and seperately from the 'real' Napster servers. The only lacking thing with openNap servers is only one in like fifteen songs download.... the rest hang in 'queue' limbo forever. Limewire's pretty good, too, at least on linux. It's written in Java, though, so it may blow on Classic Mac OS.

I also listen to streaming MP3s (shoutcast/icecast) and save the streams to disk. If I encounter dope songs, I write the name down and extract it from the saved stream, then chuck the rest. I've gotten lots of sweet tunes this way.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MP3Rage (using OpenNap servers), KaZaA (in VPC), and LimeWire.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    [quote]Originally posted by stimuli:

<strong>Limewire's pretty good, too, at least on linux. It's written in Java, though, so it may blow on Classic Mac OS.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LimeWire is a native Java app in Mac OS X.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    Aimster all the way. I haven't wanted a song that I couldn't find yet on Aimster. (Don't know if there's an X version tho)
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It's got to be Limewire.

We're just "sharing" right?
  • Reply 7 of 9
    pookjppookjp Posts: 280member
    Stimuli,

[quote] I also listen to streaming MP3s (shoutcast/icecast) and save the streams to disk. If I encounter dope songs, I write the name down and extract it from the saved stream, then chuck the rest. I've gotten lots of sweet tunes this way. <hr></blockquote>

How do you save streams to disk?

- Pook
  • Reply 8 of 9
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Anyone in here use iSwipe? It's basically exactly like Napster and you can get files from Hotline, Gnutella, Carracho, Open Napster, and FTP. It seems really good ecept I'm having trouble downloading much from it. The only thing that seems to download ok is stuff off Gnutella, and it seems to go really slow, Also the open Nap files are queued forever and always time out and stuff. WHen trying to download anything it seems really really slow, even for my 56k connection.

I use various websites, Hotline, Aimster, Audio Galaxy on PC, Kazaa on PC, Carracho, and that's pretty much it. My main source though is <a href="http://www.mp3-2002.com."; target="_blank">www.mp3-2002.com.</a>