Macbook or MB Pro?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hi,

I'm trying to decide on what kind of mac I need to purchase in the near future. I'm planning on attending SCAD or another design school next fall. I know that the best computer for running most design programs would be a pro but, I like the overall design and color of the MBs so much more. Is there any reason that I shouldn't get a regular MB? I'm planning on upping it to 2GB of RAM and a 200GB hard drive but I'm still nervous about the lack of a dedicated video card.

Help?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    I would think the biggest advantage of the MacBok Pro would be th screen size, especially if you're doing design. 1280x800 just fails to impress me, personally.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Yeah, but screen size does really bother me too much. The possiblity of buying a computer now and then having to get another one in a few months because of software requirements does.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldoxcore View Post

Yeah, but screen size does really bother me too much. The possiblity of buying a computer now and then having to get another one in a few months because of software requirements does.

The mac book pro has a real video and CAD apps use 3d video.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    I'm really planning on doing advertising design work which would require me to use the Adobe suite and maybe some Flash work.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waldoxcore View Post

I'm really planning on doing advertising design work which would require me to use the Adobe suite and maybe some Flash work.

you may want to wait for Adobe cs3 and the adobe apps need a lot ram even more if you are using the ppc based cs2 the mac books vampire video does not help.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    I'm in a Graphic Design program right now, and I just bought a 15" 2.33Ghz C2D MacBook Pro. The main reason I went with the Pro is because of screen size. My MBP is now my main computer and all of the Adobe apps are EXTREMELY hungry for screen real estate. Opening even a few palettes really starts crowding the very limited 13" screen on a regular MacBook. Of course you can connect an external screen to either, but that will just exacerbate any memory and performance issues on a MacBook, and you can't drag the screen with you if you want to work away from your desk (which I do frequently). Other than that, there isn't much of a difference between the two.