Connecting linksys router to iMac and iBook..

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hello,

I own a iMac G4 and am going to be getting an iBook G4 shortly.

I have a cable internet connection which is putting the iMac online. I want to use a Linksys Wireless-b router (BEFW11S4) to hook the iMac up directly to the router with a wire, and have the iBook connect wirelessly..

How can I go about doing this? I don't have a good idea and much of what i have read confuses me.

thanks for reading.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Plug cable modem into WAN port on linksys ... plug iMac into a LAN port on the linkSYS. Linksys documentation will tell you how to get to the config menu through your browser.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    where do i find the linksys documentation? What can i do about the ibook?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wintertime_love View Post

where do i find the linksys documentation?

Either it came with the router or the Linksys site.

Quote:

What can i do about the ibook?

Turn on the Airport and connect to the Linksys router.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Do you need to type in anything into the browser of the ibook...? how does it know what to connect to..?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Do you need to type in anything into the browser of the ibook...? how does it know what to connect to..?

The iBook just needs to have Airport settings in the Network Preferences Pane set to DHCP and the IP of the router put in as the Gateway Address. Then there will be an icon in the menu bar on the iBook that looks like an antenna with radio waves coming out of it. From that menu you can make sure that Airport is on and which network to connect to.

In the router setup (which you get to by typing LinkSys' router address into the browser- it's 192.168.xxx.xxx, I forget right now), make sure wireless is enabled and give your network a name. That name will show up in the iBook's Airport menu. To start with, don't mess with the channel or the security settings for the wireless - do tell it to broadcast SSID though.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    We are all ASSUMING that your iBook already has an Airport card installed.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    yeah it has airport.. im going to try it all out this friday.

thanks alot!
  • Reply 8 of 10
    Furthurmore.. can i do the same procedure with a D-Link wireless router ? (DI-524)

Quote:

yeah it has airport.. im going to try it all out this friday.

thanks alot!

• Reply 9 of 10
    lundylundy Posts: 4,466member
    Quote:

Furthurmore.. can i do the same procedure with a D-Link wireless router ? (DI-524)

Yes, but it might have a slightly different IP address for the router. Netgear and several others use 192.168.0.1 as the router, but LinkSys uses a different one. I don't know which one D-Link uses. That's really the only difference in the routers.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    This is quickly becoming the configuration procedure for most networked devices, inlcuding routers, switches, printers, copiers, etc. Once you're connected to the same network, type that device's IP address into a web browser. Everything gets configured through a web browser.

With your router, there is just one extra step of telling your computer to use DHCP from that network.