The end of Netflixs - sort of?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does any one else see Apple heading down the path to offering movies - that you won't have to wait for the mailman to get (and own) and watch?

This should with time, but one hell of a dent in Netflixs and Blockbusters mail business? in my opinion.

"Get the movies you want - when you want to watch them?" - try Apple iTV today, blah, blah, blah.

Skip

OH, and you can start watching at home, and finish at work (of course during your lunch) or at work and finish when you get home.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Get the movies you want - when you want to watch them... if you must have the movie immediately, must own movies, plan to replace every DVD player with a Appletv, have lots of hard disk space to store movies, and have high speed internet.

How many people are gonna keep Netflix and just rip the movie for Appletv?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Get the movies you want - when you want to watch them... if you must have the movie immediately, must own movies, plan to replace every DVD player with a Appletv, have lots of hard disk space to store movies, and have high speed internet.

How many people are gonna keep Netflix and just rip the movie for Appletv?

I would still rip and burn to an actual DVD; I don't see iTunes as a real alternative to Netflix, not until they have the like 50,000 DVD's that Netflix carries and at DVD/HD resolutions, as well as more than mainstream stuff, I like older movies.

Maybe TCM could start their own service.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ncee View Post

Does any one else see Apple heading down the path to offering movies - that you won't have to wait for the mailman to get (and own) and watch?

This should with time, but one hell of a dent in Netflixs and Blockbusters mail business? in my opinion.

I don't think so, unless Apple goes into the movie rental business.

Think about it.....for at least a flat rate of $9.99/month, you pretty much get access to 70,000 movies. You can watch (say) 10 New Release movies and still pay $9.99 a month......versus, buying the low grade sub-DVD version on iTunes for well over $100.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Well, this gets into the whole "rent vs. buy" argument; however, I think there are arguments for both. The 'rent' argument has already been expressed, so here goes the 'buy' argument:

Kids. Kids can watch the same movie every day, 2 & 3 times a day. It's the strangest thing. Disney's brass spoke about this when their content went on iTMS, and I agree. Using the 'rent' argument, I'd have to keep renting the same movie, or, just keep this movie and keep sending back others. Most parents just buy the movie, so its always there...whoa...
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gordy View Post

Well, this gets into the whole "rent vs. buy" argument; however, I think there are arguments for both. The 'rent' argument has already been expressed, so here goes the 'buy' argument:

Kids. Kids can watch the same movie every day, 2 & 3 times a day. It's the strangest thing. Disney's brass spoke about this when their content went on iTMS, and I agree. Using the 'rent' argument, I'd have to keep renting the same movie, or, just keep this movie and keep sending back others. Most parents just buy the movie, so its always there...whoa...

and I imagine kids could care less about the Director's commentary track, or other special features...
  • Reply 6 of 11
    nceencee Posts: 857member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

and I imagine kids could care less about the Director's commentary track, or other special features...

Hell I may be a kid at heart, but I don't watch the Director's Comment., or special features?

I watch the movie I paid for, then put in the next one? and the next one?

Maybe that's just me.

Skip
  • Reply 7 of 11
    gordygordy Posts: 1,004member
    Nope, they don't care. Just the movie...over and over again...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    For me, Netflix is the way to go, except for new TV shows that they don't have on DVD yet. I'll probably be buying some TV shows at iTunes after I get AppleTV but doubt I'll buy many movies unless they are real favorites.

Currently, iTS is a downer for its low resolution and the fact that many new TV shows are still 4:3 there. I mean, isn't iTV made for wide screens? I predict iTS will soon offer both a low resolution 4:3 iPod version and a high resolution 16:9 AppleTV version of each video. Wide screen iPods and iPhones will handle the high res versions.

Netflix will remain popular as always.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    If Apple offers a Netflix-like, three-at-a-time iTunes/AppleTV subscription service, there will be no stopping them. As I envision it, for a $15 monthly fee, a user would create a queue of movie s/he wanted to watch, and AppleTV would download the first three (with digital delivery nothing's ever our of stock). The user could watch a movie as many time as s/he wanted over as long a time period as s/he wished. When s/he was done with it, s/he'd delete it from AppleTV which would download the next movie in the user's queue.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDave View Post

Currently, iTS is a downer for its low resolution and the fact that many new TV shows are still 4:3 there. I mean, isn't iTV made for wide screens?

Most movies from iTunes Store are fortunately presented in widescreen (where applicable), although disappointingly with VHS-day-stereo sound. Am I the only one who cares about multi-channel surround sound? It seems until the industry standardizes on wireless audio streaming standard (for wireless speakers), multi-channel will not become as popular as 720p/1080i/1080p.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post

If Apple offers a Netflix-like, three-at-a-time iTunes/AppleTV subscription service, there will be no stopping them. As I envision it, for a $15 monthly fee, a user would create a queue of movie s/he wanted to watch, and AppleTV would download the first three (with digital delivery nothing's ever our of stock). The user could watch a movie as many time as s/he wanted over as long a time period as s/he wished. When s/he was done with it, s/he'd delete it from AppleTV which would download the next movie in the user's queue.

I agree 110%. Apple would sell millions of ?TVs!