macbook cpu upgrade?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
anyone upgraded the cpu in the macbook yet? i know its soldered in, but it's not like solder is unremovable

trying to compensate for my 1.83 core (solo) duo. upgraded ram to 2gb and waiting for a 160gb HD to be delivered

it's gonna be ages before i can get my hands on a dual layer regionfreeable optical drive upgrade.......so all i can think of left to upgrade is my cpu

say it is possible to desolder the cpu, what's the best cpu compatable with the macbook mboard? c2d 2.33? *hopeful look*

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    You better sell that "old" machine and get a new one. If you ask me, desoldering a notebook CPU on a multi-layer mainboard is not possible for a human being. Too many things that can go wrong while doing this!
  • Reply 2 of 4
    nah. not gonna sell it. it got me £100 off an ipod. so i dont have any quams keeping it and running it into the ground

and its taught me to never buy the first model of a product apple releases
  • Reply 3 of 4
    smaxsmax Posts: 361member
    Sure you can try it. It goes something like this:

Step 1: Get chisel, hammer, screwdriver.

Step 2: Open laptop, locate processor.

Step 3: Gently place chisel between processor and mainboard and lightly tap to dislodge said processor (Hunks of mainboard flying off is normal).

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    What, you have a Core Duo? Whoa, that SUCKS. Better replace the entire motherboard before random people on the street start laughing at you.