Urgent: Can't find iMovie installer

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey there,

I just sold my iMac G5 and I went through the process of erase and install of Tiger and bringing it up to date. I then tried to install iLife from the original install/restore discs that came with the machine and although it installed iPhoto, iDVD and GarageBand there was no iMovie option! The guy that bought my computer specifically wants to do some video editing. Does anyone know where the installer is and why there is no option to install it? Seems like a real oversight on Apple's part. I've tried searching everywhere but can't find the answer.

Mucho gracias

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    I don't know. I just did a Spotlight search for iMovie Installer and found these 3 .pkg's in /Library/Receipts

I looked in /Library/Receipts but they're not visible, so I guess they're in an invisible folder.

I don't know if those are the actual iMovie installer .pkg's, since they're all less than 2mb, but try a Spotlight search, if you haven't already done so.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The receipt is not the package installer. As far as I'm aware there is no package installer for iMovie on my original iMac G5 Panther Install/Restore CDs. I have tried searching using Terminal in the hidden Packages folder. Guess I'll have to download it from Bittorrent or something! Seems really odd that it's not there.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Grab the app called Pacifist and it will allow you to see the contents of the installer pkgs on the Panther CD/DVD and will allow install of any one piece of software. You should be able to find the iMovie installer there I think it is on the second DVD that came with the iMac G5 as that is how it came with mine.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Perform a Finder search with the pattern "pkg", set search criteria to "invisible items",

set search location to "Optical Drive". Drag the results onto your HD. There you go.

Granted it is not very userfriendly on Apples side. Anyway. I've got no glue, why they

do not provide a standalone iMove and/or iDVD Installer.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Thanks for that. I actually ended up downloading it in the end

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vox Barbara View Post

Perform a Finder search with the pattern "pkg", set search criteria to "invisible items",

set search location to "Optical Drive". Drag the results onto your HD. There you go.

Granted it is not very userfriendly on Apples side. Anyway. I've got no glue, why they

do not provide a standalone iMove and/or iDVD Installer.