No dotMac service and iPhone?

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
This thread may be much ado about nothing, still there may be some valid points here.

First, for the portion of the population here who feel we really can't say for sure what the iPhone will or won't have until it ships: I like the idea of giving the benefit of the doubt too, but let's not confuse benefit of the doubt with unreasonable expectations. The man at the keynote said Yahoo (partner) will do the email thing, that's the iPhone's push email answer. There's no reason to expect anything more or less.

Apple being the distributor of an amazing product like iPhone and being the service provider for a service called .Mac and not integrating the 2 together would be like Coca Cola selling the Soda and the Can separately.

IMO, a lot of the things that .Mac provides aren't really that great at the moment for most people's needs, and I'm sure most people would agree given the cost of subscription. And while some may see the iPhone being able to use .Mac services as a thing that might be good, I see it the other way around. The potential for what .Mac services could provide to an iPhone if the services of .Mac catered to the iPhone instead.

All of the reasons why the prosumer phone market isn't threatened by the introduction of an iPhone to the market are in the absence of .Mac + iPhone. Push email, PIN messaging, syncing, connecting and transmitting data to, from, and through .Mac servers. It could even really go one step further and allow the iPhone to access files and data on the network disk basically allowing an iPhone user to access data on a Mac at home or work. A leap frog, no make it two leap frog's past whatever niche Blackerry has at it's disposal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    wmfwmf Posts: 1,164member
    Maybe .Mac will be outsourced to Yahoo.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    How do you know there wont be an option for .Mac as push email?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    apple can't tie .mac to the iphone because that would exclude all windows users who obviously wouldn't be interested in .mac. so, partnering with yahoo is needed for that. however, there's no reason they can't have the same features available for .mac users that they will yahoo users (push-imap). but advertising that, especially 6 months before launch, would not be very useful, since .mac is not and probably never will be mainstream, but the iphone is being targeted for the mainstream.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by confirmed View Post

apple can't tie .mac to the iphone because that would exclude all windows users who obviously wouldn't be interested in .mac. so, partnering with yahoo is needed for that. however, there's no reason they can't have the same features available for .mac users that they will yahoo users (push-imap). but advertising that, especially 6 months before launch, would not be very useful, since .mac is not and probably never will be mainstream, but the iphone is being targeted for the mainstream.

yeah your right, I was going to make mention of the windows aspect of the issue in the orignal post but i dont like page long posts. It really is a shame, if we lived in a flip world where mac was 90% of the market share and windows was 10% then we would have probably seen a different keynote. One where dotMac was a main feature. Chat wouldn't be as lame as SMS, e-mail would be much more amazing as iPhone customers would be given an @mac email address on sign up, and being able to access .Mac servers remotely (cellular) with an iPhone would open up a endless amount of possibilities in terms of how iPhone customers access and interact with a home or work based PC.