Macbook, MacBook Pro & Leopard Info

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 59
    I just want to say thank you to everyone for their input in helping me out with my mac problem.

In the end I decided to buy a Mac and I am proud to say that it was purchased last night and will be at my door Thursday. I ended up picking up a MacBook Pro 2.33GHz 15" model (more than I wanted to spend, but if I am going to go MacBook, I'm going all out). My HP with Vista goes black screened as the screen saver and the only way to get it to fix itself is to ctrl+alt+delete it.

Thanks to all.

Ian
  • Reply 42 of 59
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    You will like.
  • Reply 43 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by absolut_ian View Post

I just want to say thank you to everyone for their input in helping me out with my mac problem.

In the end I decided to buy a Mac and I am proud to say that it was purchased last night and will be at my door Thursday. I ended up picking up a MacBook Pro 2.33GHz 15" model (more than I wanted to spend, but if I am going to go MacBook, I'm going all out). My HP with Vista goes black screened as the screen saver and the only way to get it to fix itself is to ctrl+alt+delete it.

Thanks to all.

Ian

Congrats! That machine is going to rock your socks off!
  • Reply 44 of 59
    rickagrickag Posts: 1,626member
    I and my 15" 1.25GHz G4 Powerbook are jealous.
  • Reply 45 of 59
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:

Thanks to all.

Ian

Is that a Core 2 Duo machine? If so, that will be an awesome machine...!!!
  • Reply 46 of 59
    Quote:

Remember that if you have any problems, Apple's repair center is located at [Zach's address here].
  • Reply 47 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Is that a Core 2 Duo machine? If so, that will be an awesome machine...!!!

I made sure that the model I bought would be the Core 2 Duo chip. I hear they get much better battery life and processing speed. I also got the model with 2GB ram standard and the 256MB graphics card. The computer is powerful enough to kill a small family.

I pick it up in 9 hours!!!

Ian
  • Reply 48 of 59
    Quote:

I made sure that the model I bought would be the Core 2 Duo chip. I hear they get much better battery life and processing speed. I also got the model with 2GB ram standard and the 256MB graphics card. The computer is powerful enough to kill a small family.

Ian

Good call, Ian. I also think you're safe: I don't think we're going to see upgraded MBPs for quite a few months now, judging by the low-rate rumors lately...
  • Reply 49 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

Good call, Ian. I also think you're safe: I don't think we're going to see upgraded MBPs for quite a few months now, judging by the low-rate rumors lately...

Not only that but Santa Rosa won't be huge upgrade on performance. Clock speeds and FSB go up some. Since all Core2 MBPs can up grade the wireless card to n for a couple of bucks, getting the MBP now really isn't bad decision. The only mac I'd wait to buy is the mini, it should go core 2 and maybe even get a speed bump at the next upgrade.
  • Reply 50 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Not only that but Santa Rosa won't be huge upgrade on performance. Clock speeds and FSB go up some. Since all Core2 MBPs can up grade the wireless card to n for a couple of bucks, getting the MBP now really isn't bad decision. The only mac I'd wait to buy is the mini, it should go core 2 and maybe even get a speed bump at the next upgrade.

I guess I've gotten hooked in by the LED-backlighting rumors. I'm in the market within the next few months and I suppose I'm a "next-best-thing" kind of guy. In my defense, the strategy worked well when I waited for the silly audio-in port along with the processor upgrade when I bought the Powerbook-800 I'm typing this on. It's been a phenomenal machine for nearly 5 years now.
  • Reply 51 of 59
    Quote:

Ian

Let us know how you like it.
  • Reply 52 of 59
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CoolHandPete View Post

I guess I've gotten hooked in by the LED-backlighting rumors.

That would be worth waiting for, if Apple decides tyo implement it.
  • Reply 53 of 59
    I BOUGHT A MAC! I LOVED IT! IT WAS REALLY COOL! IT WAS STOLEN!!!

I got BADLY robbed. I was going down there along with the family for my grandmother 87th birthday. Unfortunately we can't all crash rent-free at grandma's so some of us were voted out by the tribe to stay at a crappy hotel up the block. I also had a brand new MacBook Pro computer shipped to Florida so that I would take it back without the boxes in my laptop case so that I could avoid sales taxes from customs. I opened up the computer at the hotel and let it sit to charge on the chair in the living room of the hotel. My bed, the crappy futon, was 2 feet from this chair. I went to sleep and woke up at around 6AM. When I woke up I saw the computer was gone. The brand new, Apple Orange Incase laptop case and my watch and a cell phone were gone.

We got the manager of the hotel awake and we called the cops. After we all reviewed the security camera footage we saw this guy who snuck into our room at 3AM (while I was sleeping) and entered TWICE. NOT ONCE>>>>TWICE! He entered once for 3 minutes, left with nothing. Then tried get into the other rooms in the hotel (did this by merely seeing the door was unlocked or if he could open the crappy lock inside the door knob). Our door, which needed to be fixed a bit was the one that he got open (he's caught on video checking all the other rooms in the hotel to see if the door was unlocked). He came back a second time and spent 9 minutes in the room. When he left, in the security camera video, you could see my case and laptop in his hands. There is no clear headshot of the guy and there is so chance in hell they will ever find this guy. They have a bland description of him.

I have never spent so much money on a computer and its gone. Not even 24 hours I got to own it. The computer was $2600 and we all know that to actually SAVE, not just earn that money takes months and months, and now its just all gone down the toilet!

We haven't heard from the owner of the hotel because his brother-in-law died Saturday and we cant claim it on homeowners insurance. If we did our premium would go up and if you make more than 3 claims you will probably loose coverage and be very hard+expensive to insure. I also put the majority of the purchase on my VISA, but two days before I turned down purchase protection, which would have refunded me the majority of the purchase. JUST MY LUCK.

So why am I going into detail about this so much?

1.) I did plan on announcing in this forum the kind of mac I ended up buying considering all the help that I have gotten from people, but I felt that this was worthy enough The robber did not get the box of the computer though and I am publishing the serial number of the computer. If anyone ever sees it on eBay, or maybe even in a Ft. Lauderdale Pawn shop where it was probably traded for crack money. I am sorry to say that I was not even a Mac user for 24 hours, but I hope one day, that I will be able to be one again.

2.) To give out this info incase someone knows someone, who knows someone else, who saw a computer with this serial number for sale on eBay. Pass around this message as well. I'm just so desperate to get some kind of justice I'm appealing to the masses through Apple Insider.

- The Robber broke in at 3:00AM

- Stole a MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Model, Apple Case, Black Watch & Moto Razr phone

- MacBook Pros Serial Number: W86502W1W0H. The robber did not get the box, so look for one that comes without a box.

- He was white. Wore a baseball cap, leather jacket, dark pants and grey running shoes

- This happened at the Shore View Hotel in Hollywood, Florida.

Any help at all in spreading the word would be greatly appreciated.
  • Reply 54 of 59
    Quote:

- The Robber broke in at 3:00AM

- Stole a MacBook Pro 2.33GHz Model, Apple Case, Black Watch & Moto Razr phone

- MacBook Pros Serial Number: W86502W1W0H. The robber did not get the box, so look for one that comes without a box.

- He was white. Wore a baseball cap, leather jacket, dark pants and grey running shoes

- This happened at the Shore View Hotel in Hollywood, Florida.

Any help at all in spreading the word would be greatly appreciated.

I'm so sorry, man. Glad you published the name of the hotel, since - in my view - they should feel sorry enough to scrape up the $$$ to reimburse you, and in the meantime, none of us have to make the mistake of giving them more business.

If they don't bend over backwards to fix this for you, I suggest you look into a small claims case, especially since there is video footage of the guy (see if you can procure copies for yourself) and it sounds as if there is evidence of negligence on the part of the hotel for not fixing the door. When you pay to stay at a hotel, you sleep on the assumption that the room is secure. In another situation, someone could have ended up getting raped or killed. In that sense, you're fortunate.

At any rate, if I were you, I wouldn't settle for this loss. Where there's a will, there's a way. Best of everything to you.

Peter
  • Reply 55 of 59
    Are you sure about Visa card not re-imbursing you for theft? I just checked the Visa website and depending on your card, you may be eligible for $$$. Did you turn down extended protection which extends the length of time of coverage beyond 90 days?

Hope all turns out well.
  • Reply 56 of 59
    My heart just aches for you. It is so difficult to save money and do without other things in your life to get a new system. I agree that the motel should try to help you. Perhaps the family could all chip in a little $$. What a lesson for the rest of us to insure our systems. I'm sure Karma will catch up with the creep that stole your computer. I'm really sad for you.. Grammy L
  • Reply 57 of 59
    Ian,

Sorry to hear about that... I so happen to live in Hollywood, FL and a few months ago I had my brand new Dell laptop stolen as my apartment was broken into. I so fell your pain You can try the pawnshops on SR-7 (441) it's possible that it will end up there at some point. I used this website http://www.uspawnshopdirectory.com/directory.php to contact multiple pawnshops in the area to be on the lookout for my machine. It didn't work for me unfortunately and I wasn't able to recuperate mine... but it's worth a try.

I hope it works out for you.

In any case, next laptop I buy will have Lojack on it! Do you guys know of other similar products that work on the Mac? I wanted to get a MB anyway so now I have an excuse to get a new one.
  • Reply 58 of 59
    I am so sorry to hear about the robbery, Ian! That is terrible.

I would recommend calling Apple. If your computer has not been registered, the thief might try to register it in his name (or, if he tries to sell it, to the next person's name). Apple should be alerted to keep an eye open for that serial number.

Also, agreed with the poster who said to contact all the pawn shops in the area that you can. Theoretically, they're supposed to run stolen-goods checks on goods and in fact the cops should send them a list of items that includes your computer (with its serial number).
  • Reply 59 of 59
    I appreciate everyone writing and supporting me. This has been a really crappy thing to have to go through. All I ask is that you spread the word about what happened to me, a mass email or anything with the info and serial number of the computer. I just can't let this person get away with this.