iTunes not updating long files to iPod

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I have some lectures on iTunes (v. 4) most of which are over 50 mins long but under 10MB each. I have a 20G 3rd gen iPod and it is not updating these files. I have tried both auto and manual updates. Here is he info on the files:

Kind: MPEG Audio file

Format: MPEG-2, Layer 2

Size: 8.8MB

Channels: Mono

Bit rate: 22.050 kHz

ID3 Tag: v2.3

Please help on how to add these to the iPod. Thanks!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    ak1808ak1808 Posts: 108member
    In my experience no problem with long files, had an audio-book with 8hour-files on my Nano.

Try updating iTunes to the latest version as a first step.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plasma View Post

I have some lectures on iTunes (v. 4) most of which are over 50 mins long but under 10MB each. I have a 20G 3rd gen iPod and it is not updating these files. I have tried both auto and manual updates. Here is he info on the files:

Kind: MPEG Audio file

Format: MPEG-2, Layer 2

Size: 8.8MB

Channels: Mono

Bit rate: 22.050 kHz

ID3 Tag: v2.3

Please help on how to add these to the iPod. Thanks!

I'm no expert but I thought that MP3 (One of the formate iTunes works with) was MPEG-2 Layer-3, not Layer-2. Don't know that iTunes works with Layer 2, or was that a typo?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    I'm no expert on what file formats your specific iPod can or can't play, but it sounds like either your iPod doesn't recognize that particular format file as a playable source file OR the file itself (format irrelevant) isn't being recognized for whatever unknown reason.

Try converting those audio files in iTunes using iTunes to either mp3 or another audio format then try syncing again.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    you are probably correct because all my other files are MPEG-1, Layer 3. Is there are way to the file to the correct format?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

I'm no expert but I thought that MP3 (One of the formate iTunes works with) was MPEG-2 Layer-3, not Layer-2. Don't know that iTunes works with Layer 2, or was that a typo?

• Reply 5 of 10
    iTunes works but for some reason iPod wont accept it

Quote:

• Reply 6 of 10
    Quote:

iTunes works but for some reason iPod wont accept it

iTunes will play anything that Quicktime will. Sounds like you have a QT codec installed for this that isn't support by the iPod. If you QT Pro ($20 I think) you can open the track in QT player then export it as ACC for the ipod.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    The file does not play in QT. I have the basic one that is included with apple. Any other thoughts on coverting this to the right format?

Quote:

iTunes will play anything that Quicktime will. Sounds like you have a QT codec installed for this that isn't support by the iPod. If you QT Pro ($20 I think) you can open the track in QT player then export it as ACC for the ipod.

• Reply 8 of 10
    Quote:

Any other thoughts on coverting this to the right format?

click on the track, go to 'advanced' in the menu bar, then click 'convert selection to AAC'. i know itunes 6 and 7 have that function, but im not sure about earlier versioins. should work though.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    That works! doubled the file size but works. Thank you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbaynham View Post

click on the track, go to 'advanced' in the menu bar, then click 'convert selection to AAC'. i know itunes 6 and 7 have that function, but im not sure about earlier versioins. should work though.

• Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:

That works! doubled the file size but works. Thank you.

anytime