ppc quicksilver randomly turns itself on?!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My 866 quicksilver PPC (i think the spec is), randomly turns itself on. Heres the story...

My computer is in my shack outside, I went on holiday for 5 months I come back and try to turn it on... nothing, no sign of life whatsoever.

The computer sits in the corner with power lead still conected, out of the blue it turns itself on, then off, then on, then off. At this point I dont have a screen conected so i cant see what its telling me, but with each random startup, i also get a long BEEP.

I have now conected to a screen and the one time i managed to catch it turning itself on, it said something about firmware and to press "mac-boot" so i did, but then realized i had just recently taken the HD out so it popped up with a flashing disc thingy.

I have put the hd back in and am awaiting for it to come to life again, i am sat here bored, so thought i would ask your advise on this strange behavior.

thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    I forgot to mention, but with the long beep i also notice the power button flashing.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think that 1 beep means that no RAM has been detected.

An explanation of the beeps here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58183
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aulton View Post

I think that 1 beep means that no RAM has been detected.

An explanation of the beeps here:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=58183

Thats what i thought at first, but I'm wondering how lack of ram would cause it to randomly start up, the power button seems to have no effect, it starts up when it wants to and since i have plugged the HD back in and Monitor it hasnt tried starting up once.

Could it be a power issue? Maybe got damp in my shack? I havent tried it on any of my computers but im thinking that if i pulled al the ram out I would still probably be in control of when the computer decideds to turn on. Therefore I think it maybe more than just a ram issue.

Bewildering, any suggestions welcomed!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Well pulling HD and Ram and Monitor hasnt made it start up any more often.

Im wandering if temperature might have something to do with helping it start up, it has been starting up every 20-30 minutes in my warm bedroom, but since i have bought the machine back down into my cellar(which is cold) it has only attempted to start up once.

bewildered.