Briefly: Apple games, Ballmer on Vista sales (and Apple), patents

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Johnny, the article we are commenting upon is about MS's growth, not Apple's.

Apple is in a different situation than MS. MS as a computer OS and software company can only grow if the computers they require have growth rates. If that growth rate slows down, as it has, then their growh rate slows down as well, as it also has.

With Apple having such a small marketshare, as I commented earlier in this thread, Apple has a great deal of possible growth ahead of it, if it does things right, to cut further into MS's share.

But, even so, Apple is also moving outside of their primary area of computers. They also see that is is necessary to get into areas with high growth rates because they are new areas, with little market penetration. Whoever gets there first with a desirable system can wrap up that sector.

All of this ties together, of course, because neither Apple nor MS is getting into the business of making hammers, or manhole covers.

That might change in the future if both are shown to work better if a popular OS is wedged into them somehow, but there will be some time to go before that happens.

I read a quote somewhere that said...

"Bill Gates is trying to sell consumers a digital lifestyle nobody wants."

I believe there reason the computing market is not seeing growth has nothing to do with saturation. I believe it has more to do with the lack of compelling products coming out of the wintel world. Every new OS is dangled like a carrot promising computing nirvana. Microsoft hasn't delivered on it's promises so consumers and businesses are fed up.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella

In the 90s a family of 4 shared 1 PC tower.

In the 10s a family of 4 will have 4 MacBooks, 4 iPhones and an iServe

As I said earlier the "personal" computer market won't be saturated until every person has their own computer(s). Think of the automotive industry. There was a time when only the wealthy could afford a car. Then almost every family had a car. Now almost every American has a car and some have several.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

As I said earlier the "personal" computer market won't be saturated until every person has their own computer(s). Think of the automotive industry. There was a time when only the wealthy could afford a car. Then almost every family had a car. Now almost every American has a car and some have several.

It still won't be saturated, since the pace of progress and competition is accelerating and computing power is on an incredible curve. As more nations use computers, the breadth of progress and innovation can only widen.
  • Reply 43 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,601member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Johnny Mozzarella View Post

I read a quote somewhere that said...

"Bill Gates is trying to sell consumers a digital lifestyle nobody wants."

I believe there reason the computing market is not seeing growth has nothing to do with saturation. I believe it has more to do with the lack of compelling products coming out of the wintel world. Every new OS is dangled like a carrot promising computing nirvana. Microsoft hasn't delivered on it's promises so consumers and businesses are fed up.

You're entitled to your opinion. But, I can't agree with it. Many families who are going to get more than one computer have already done so, such as mine. But, most growth is driven by those who don't already have one. At any rate, the numbers aren't calculated by family. They are calculated by person.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

It still won't be saturated, since the pace of progress and competition is accelerating and computing power is on an incredible curve. As more nations use computers, the breadth of progress and innovation can only widen.

The breath of progress and innovation doesn't mean that growth won't slow down.

Besides, we are talking about MS's growth, not every computer that will ever be sold.

If Apple and Linux can equal the overall growth of the industry over time, say 10% a year, then MS won't grow at all.

If they slightly exceed that growth, then MS's portion of the market AND total numbers will actually go down.

Don't think that this can't happen. And don't think that MS isn't thinking about it as well.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    Ballmer's Comments and MS's Behavior befuddles the mind of a lot of the thinking world. However, there may be some truth in the statement " that when you are that big and are that rich, what you do and say does not have to make sense ". A personal observation, in history it has occurred several times over. Large human enterprises have seen their demise begin by the smallest of faults. Usually from the inside outward. One gets the sense that the management at MS already see this starting. Those like us on the outside have just got to sit back and wait. We will not have to push, it will fall on its own.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Translation: Apple grew marketshare and we're pissed about it, since we want it ALL.

Go throw a chair Ballmer, ya know you want to.

Btw, BEST Ballmer remix EVAR:

http://www.funnydump.com/category/1-...mer_remix.html

• Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by htoelle View Post

Ballmer's Comments and MS's Behavior befuddles the mind of a lot of the thinking world. However, there may be some truth in the statement " that when you are that big and are that rich, what you do and say does not have to make sense ". A personal observation, in history it has occurred several times over. Large human enterprises have seen their demise begin by the smallest of faults. Usually from the inside outward. One gets the sense that the management at MS already see this starting. Those like us on the outside have just got to sit back and wait. We will not have to push, it will fall on its own.

There is inertia in all organizations, just as there is in all of us. We go in a direction, and it's difficult to get us off that path.

The bigger the organization, the greater the inertia. MS has a lot.

Interestingly, Intel made a tremendous turn-around. It was likened to turning a battleship around that was moving full speed ahead in mine infested waters.

But, few companies can pull it off well.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

There is inertia in all organizations, just as there is in all of us. We go in a direction, and it's difficult to get us off that path.

The bigger the organization, the greater the inertia. MS has a lot.

Interestingly, Intel made a tremendous turn-around. It was likened to turning a battleship around that was moving full speed ahead in mine infested waters.

But, few companies can pull it off well.

Tell that to my INTC stock... down 30% since I bought it. Bwaaaaaaaah! On the other hand, my HPQ has jumped 64%!
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

Tell that to my INTC stock... down 30% since I bought it. Bwaaaaaaaah! On the other hand, my HPQ has jumped 64%!

There is market inertia as well.

AMD's stock has collapsed. I told a friend that would happen early last year, and he laughed at me. Now his 50,000 shares, bought between 32 and 34, are in the dumps. Good for him!

Customers make multi quarter, and multiyear, plans for cpu purchases. It took AMD years to get Dell to commit. I think, at just about the wrong time too.

Intel is slowly working back its marketshare, but it will take another 6 months or more before we see an major shift. Meanwhile, eyes are on AMD to see if their new 65nm process will actually result in performance gains significant enough to pull them up to Intel. So far, from what we see, it isn't.

So, there's hope yet.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

There is market inertia as well.

AMD's stock has collapsed. I told a friend that would happen early last year, and he laughed at me. Now his 50,000 shares, bought between 32 and 34, are in the dumps. Good for him!

Customers make multi quarter, and multiyear, plans for cpu purchases. It took AMD years to get Dell to commit. I think, at just about the wrong time too.

Intel is slowly working back its marketshare, but it will take another 6 months or more before we see an major shift. Meanwhile, eyes are on AMD to see if their new 65nm process will actually result in performance gains significant enough to pull them up to Intel. So far, from what we see, it isn't.

So, there's hope yet.

Mel, I know this is outside the scope of this thread, but what's your take on the retiring baby boomers and how this will affect the stock market? Do you anticipate a recession or depression once the boomers start withdrawing their savings? I'm curious to know what contingencies you're making against this. Are you shifting technology stocks to pharma and medical equipment stocks?
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:

Mel, I know this is outside the scope of this thread, but what's your take on the retiring baby boomers and how this will affect the stock market? Do you anticipate a recession or depression once the boomers start withdrawing their savings? I'm curious to know what contingencies you're making against this. Are you shifting technology stocks to pharma and medical equipment stocks?

That's an interesting question, but I dopn't think anyone has an answer for it.

Stocks, by industry, have their investment years, and their declines in investment. For a couple of years, ending last year, hospitals were a good investment. Pharma has has many problems this year, with the inability of several large firms to get new treatments approved.

I think too much is being read into the baby boomers. I'm more concerned about our large deficits, trade deficits, tax cuts, etc, than I am for any particular industry.

Tech has its ups and downs. But, overall, it has more growth potential than any other industry that comes to mind for the long haul. I did some investing in energy earlier last year, but dumped it in September.

I'm looking at smaller alternative energy companies, but it's tough to pick a winner. Too much depends on overall energy costs.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by illuminati18 View Post

If Vista isn't intended to increase Microsoft's revenue, then what is?.

An updated platform to sell MS Office, the real money maker
  • Reply 52 of 53
    Quote:

"Not every release is a revenue growing opportunity."

HAH! Microsoft releases their first major Windows upgrade in five years and this is what he has to say about it??? Talk about blowing smoke up his own ass!
  • Reply 53 of 53
    I've got news for Steve Balmer when he wakes up from whatever he's been taking to keep reality at bay: "Little tiny niche guy" is kicking your ass all the way to China, buddy boy!