Apple to re-enter the sub-notebook market

Comments

• Reply 141 of 248
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post

No offense Slewis/Sebastian, but I don't agree with your anticipated specs. I don't think it will have flash memory only, but perhaps a combination of flash and a hard drive. Yes, a hard drive has moving parts and eats up battery, but I think it's too soon to see a computer without one.

I see we have a difference of opinion on this one, but I do believe that if Apple enters the Sub notebook market, either in the time frame the article mentioned or the next year or two (by the way, I provided a few comments about if it was in the time frame so don't take the main list of specs to be the end all be all of what I'm communicating, after all, this is mostly what I'd like to see) that it will be all flash. Going by the track record that Flash Memory is currently going at, 64 GB on an SD Card (which is REALLY tiny, and a lot of it's size comes from the plastic so the chip is even smaller) and 128 GB on that same chip by years end, by the time Apple does enter the Sub Notebook market Flash can be all the way up to 256 GB on an SD Card. Currently the cheapest Macbook comes with a 60 GB HDD, and my Macbook, with an 80 GB HDD only had about 55 GB of the HDD out of the box (partly because 80 GB really means 74 GB, partly because of Mac OS X being so damn huge eating up around 20 GB) that if you were to use anything less then 64 GB for the Drive you wouldn't have much of a Usable drive (and I already ate through another 20 GB myself) which really sucks (and is why I need to upgrade to 200 GB eventually)

That being said, I honestly think Apple can enter the Market without a single moving part on their part (haha) and make things really simple, and ultra thin!

Quote:

Since that same article is one that this thread was created for, I'll say that we should go on the assumption that we'll see this subnotebook sometime this year if we see it all.

Quote:

OK, why am I avoiding any specific Chip Names? I don't plan on seeing this materialize for another year or 2. But if it were, then I would probably keep most of that, except make it a Core 2 Duo, GMA 3000 (or whatever it's called) 1 GB of RAM and only 64 GB Flash Drive.

Since this is what i stated (though rather unclearly) to be the specs I would expect in the case that the Sub Notebook arrived sooner then I anticipated, this is the rather valid list of specs (modifying my other rather valid list ) that would be valid in the case that Apple does indeed validate a reason for making "around WWDC" a valid release date, then this is the valid list you should invalidate with your at the moment invalid argument (I went valid crazy on a friend who said you listed valid reasons, so I'm essentially repeating what I said there, only validly modified to make more sense )

Quote:

I'm also thinking that 3/16th of an inch, and especially 1/8th of an inch, is a bit small to be hoping for. Even if you wanted something that thin.

I seriously doubt that they would drop CAPS Lock, and I don't think that most people would want them to since people are used to it being there. It does occasionally have uses; if people do want to type in all caps for a while, it's irritating to hold the shift key down.

The Caps lock is too large for what it does and only gets in the way. Maybe they could place it in a less annoying place (the second enter button next to the second command button is a possibility) , make shift a little smaller, move that up where Caps lock was, and drop the second command button, or make an F7 of it (Of all the Function keys, this is the one that I can't figure out and I can't seem to assign any application to make use of it, maybe when Leopard comes out Spaces can use it) so it would you know, stay out of the way. But it's an extra key that isn't really needed, and Holding Shift down is what I END UP DOING ANYWAYS WHEN I WANT TO TYPE SOMETHING IN ALL CAPS!!

Quote:

I would like to see a 2 GHz Dual Core processor, but if this notebook is to be a "true" subnotebook then they'll probably use an ULV processor for the extended battery life. If they are going as far as to say there might not be an optical drive for purposes of size and battery life, then I doubt they'll put a battery-consuming processor in there.

2 GB of RAM seems too much to hope for in a notebook this small, but I agree it's a possibility and I hope you're right.

2 Ghz in the time frame that I mentioned is not unreasonable, 2 Ghz maybe today is unreasonable, but for Sub notebooks of today, it's probably the next logical step, and in 5-6 months, it will no doubt make perfect sense. As for 2 GB of RAM, well I hope I'm right too, and if I have much of an argument to stand on, I believe Apple is preparing to move their Macbook's onto a Standard of 2 GB with their next revision (they did it with the Macbook Pro so I'm kind of Half Hoping on that one) and when this Sub Notebook arrives 2 GB will likely be standard across their product lines.

Quote:

In other words, I think you've set your sights too high for the type of computer that this article seems to talking about. Don't get me wrong, I'd much, MUCH rather see something like a 12" Macbook Pro come out than a subnotebook like this, but I don't think that's what this rumor is all about.

Cheers

In other words, I think my spec sheet is perfectly reasonable, even the dumbed down ones for the "around WWDC" timeframe. It wouldn't cost very much for Apple to build (essentially a Macbook) until you arrive to the Flash Drive and LED screen, probably the most expensive pieces of the computer, but also the most valuable pieces because it allows them to make it almost 2 Dimensional, and I doubt even Sony has something THAT small. Either way, this isn't an official Spec Sheet, and even if it isn't I'm going to defend every aspect of it because I never realized how much I hated moving parts until I dropped my first Macbook while watching a Movie and my HDD died.

C'ya around

Sebastian
  • Reply 142 of 248
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CheddarTrek View Post

No offense Slewis/Sebastian, but I don't agree with your anticipated specs. I don't think it will have flash memory only, but perhaps a combination of flash and a hard drive. Yes, a hard drive has moving parts and eats up battery, but I think it's too soon to see a computer without one.

You also said that you weren't expecting to see this subnotebook until another year or two had passed, but the following quote is from the original rumor article on appleinsider...

Since that same article is one that this thread was created for, I'll say that we should go on the assumption that we'll see this subnotebook sometime this year if we see it all.

I'm also thinking that 3/16th of an inch, and especially 1/8th of an inch, is a bit small to be hoping for. Even if you wanted something that thin.

I seriously doubt that they would drop CAPS Lock, and I don't think that most people would want them to since people are used to it being there. It does occasionally have uses; if people do want to type in all caps for a while, it's irritating to hold the shift key down.

I would like to see a 2 GHz Dual Core processor, but if this notebook is to be a "true" subnotebook then they'll probably use an ULV processor for the extended battery life. If they are going as far as to say there might not be an optical drive for purposes of size and battery life, then I doubt they'll put a battery-consuming processor in there.

2 GB of RAM seems too much to hope for in a notebook this small, but I agree it's a possibility and I hope you're right.

In other words, I think you've set your sights too high for the type of computer that this article seems to talking about. Don't get me wrong, I'd much, MUCH rather see something like a 12" Macbook Pro come out than a subnotebook like this, but I don't think that's what this rumor is all about.

Cheers

For now, as you said, his sights are too high, but as he said, in a year or two they won't be.

For a current unit, Flash as a unitary storage system would be too optimistic.

A low power cpu would also be in order, as you say, and they don't extend to 2GHz, at this time.

But, again, he's taking ideas that some have had here about a unit based on current technology, and moved it to a more realistic timeframe.
  • Reply 143 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If it's a real project and it's a true subnote, it would not be in the same device class as the current MacBook. I'm pretty sure that an Apple subnote will be more expensive than MacBook too. I don't think it is going to "cannibalize' much of the market of any existing Mac, but rather find new markets and actually give Apple some actual traction in Japan as well.

I think it's fine. It really doesn't have to be revolutionary.

I've always said that thewre are bno such things as revolutionary products, just revolutionary ideas.

The same will be true with whatever Apple manages to come out with, assuming that they are planning something like this at all.
  • Reply 144 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sthiede View Post

yeah i would rather see a 12" mbp aswell, but it would cut into MacBook's market.

however, back to thread topic of subnotebook:

i noticed a lot of people have very very very high expectations for this "product". even though i think apple would make this item impressive, i dont think it will ultimately be revolutionary.

The iPhone is essentially what everyone wanted in one device (I remember back in the Chat room we were wondering if that was indeed what Apple was trying to do) with the Widescreen Touch iPod (I just about cried out laughing because of the way he said it, speaking directly to the rumor boards) a Phone (I had that same moment as I just about had because it was again, a call (pun intended) to the rumor boards) and an Internet Communications device (on this one I stopped and said "Huh?") and Apple went beyond everyone's expectations.

When I saw him give a demo I was even more impressed because it was hundreds of times better then anyone else thought.

So far NOTHING on this Thread comes close to what Apple can and WILL deliver IF they indeed make this into a real product (which in my opinion, they will because Apple's notebook lines are selling better then the Desktop and it would be filling a very powerful Niche for Ultra Portable 'books) so I don't believe any expectations are out of control here. A bit higher then normal, but when Apple decides to do something, they go all the way really fast (example, it took about 7 months to get all Macs on the Intel Architecture) and don't hold back (another example: iPhone) until they decide it's a really great product and it's the best they can possibly do in a reasonable time frame, and maybe a bit higher then normal price but that'll pay for itself eventually.

Sebastian
  • Reply 145 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

For now, as you said, his sights are too high, but as he said, in a year or two they won't be.

For a current unit, Flash as a unitary storage system would be too optimistic.

A low power cpu would also be in order, as you say, and they don't extend to 2GHz, at this time.

But, again, he's taking ideas that some have had here about a unit based on current technology, and moved it to a more realistic timeframe.

And probably killed any backing I had for a reasonable Time Frame by a more up to date post... 8)

Sebastian
  • Reply 146 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

And probably killed any backing I had for a reasonable Time Frame by a more up to date post... 8)

Sebastian

You get what you pay for!
  • Reply 147 of 248
    Quote:

You get what you pay for!

Yep, but the day Apple releases a Notebook that is anywhere from 3/16" to 1/8" thin, I'll pay anything I have to

Sebastian
  • Reply 148 of 248
    Quote:

Yep, but the day Apple releases a Notebook that is anywhere from 3/16" to 1/8" thin, I'll pay anything I have to

Sebastian

I would be afraid of it. It would bend real easy. Too delicate.
  • Reply 149 of 248
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    OK, I'll join the spec fest.

12" widescreen or less display, LED backlight (thinner, brighter, richer color)

ULV Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz

1GB RAM

50, 100 or 60, 120GB 1.8" HDD

Santa Rosa 800 MHz mobo

Intel integrated graphics (next generation)

512MB or 1GB flash memory (Robson)

AirPort Extreme 802.11b/g/n, Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

External SuperDrive, USB 2.0

0.75" thin, 2 lbs., 12 hour battery life.
  • Reply 150 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

ULV Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz

1GB RAM

Santa Rosa 800 MHz mobo

Which cpu are you talking about?

For 12 hour battery life, I don't see a 120 GB HD.

What I would like to see is SATA E for external drives, including the DVD. They are coming out with SATA optical drives, though I don't know if there are any thin, low power, models available yet.

Otherwise, yes.
  • Reply 151 of 248
    Quote:

I would be afraid of it. It would bend real easy. Too delicate.

Hmm... maybe Aluminum wouldn't be too bendy. I'm afraid I have limited experience Handling the older brother of the Macbook though so I'm not sure.

Hopefully Apple will choose a sturdier material then plastic though.

Sebastian
  • Reply 152 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

ULV Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz

1GB RAM

Santa Rosa 800 MHz mobo

TOO THICK!!

My own Macbook is just over an inch thick, 3/4 of an Inch is too large, especially with a 12" screen. It takes the hold point of a Sub notebook away.

You're still suggesting Moving parts, and that's plain crazy. It even at 3/4" it would be too fragile. To make it successful it has to be really thin, but if it uses any parts that are too large for a thin environment then it just makes it fragile (another reason I decided against Moving parts)

Your idea suggest Santa Rosa, but you make no mention of WiMax. And there is no 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo.

Sebastian
  • Reply 153 of 248
    Quote:

Which cpu are you talking about?

For 12 hour battery life, I don't see a 120 GB HD.

What I would like to see is SATA E for external drives, including the DVD. They are coming out with SATA optical drives, though I don't know if there are any thin, low power, models available yet.

Otherwise, yes.

Save Express Card slots and eSATA for that dock

Sebastian
  • Reply 154 of 248
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:

Optical drives reach nowhere near the bandwidths to make SATA useful, which is why machines ?*whether laptops or desktops ?*typically have a PATA bridge for the optical drive. The one big reason I can think of to have an SATA optical drive is to get rid of that bridge.
  • Reply 155 of 248

...Steve Jobs told the crowd about his vision for textbook-free schools in the future. Textbooks would be replaced with a free, online information source that was constantly updated by experts, much like the online encyclopedia Wikipedia.

"I think we'd have far more current material available to our students, and we'd be freeing up a tremendous amount of funds that we could buy delivery vehicles with ? computers, faster Internet, things like that," Jobs said. "And I also think we'd get some of the best minds in the country contributing."

Save trees, support digital ebooks. A sub notebook with eInk technology will save battery life. It is past time for students to be using luggage to transport books. Have you noticed the use of backpacks and luggage on wheels students need to carry books?

PeaceGreen
  • Reply 156 of 248
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benton View Post

...Steve Jobs told the crowd about his vision for textbook-free schools in the future. Textbooks would be replaced with a free, online information source that was constantly updated by experts, much like the online encyclopedia Wikipedia.

"I think we'd have far more current material available to our students, and we'd be freeing up a tremendous amount of funds that we could buy delivery vehicles with ? computers, faster Internet, things like that," Jobs said. "And I also think we'd get some of the best minds in the country contributing."

Save trees, support digital ebooks. A sub notebook with eInk technology will save battery life. It is past time for students to be using luggage to transport books. Have you noticed the use of backpacks and luggage on wheels students need to carry books?

PeaceGreen

Speaking of Wheels, books, Education, and connecting to the Internet

Click here

Sebastian
  • Reply 157 of 248
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

TOO THICK!!

My own Macbook is just over an inch thick, 3/4 of an Inch is too large, especially with a 12" screen. It takes the hold point of a Sub notebook away.

You're still suggesting Moving parts, and that's plain crazy. It even at 3/4" it would be too fragile. To make it successful it has to be really thin, but if it uses any parts that are too large for a thin environment then it just makes it fragile (another reason I decided against Moving parts)

Why are you assuming moving parts=fragile? One word: iPod. Thinner than any ultralight, yet the hard drives hold up fine, except when subjected to too much shock. Other, non-moving parts are more likely to give problems with too-thin laptops, for instance the LCD glass, which could break if flexed too much or it the laptop is dropped. 3/4" does not make an subnotebook pointless. Many subnotebooks are thicker than that right now. Sony's TX series is 1" thick. Dell's subnotebook is 1.2. Try to distinguish between what you personally want and what's really necessary.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

Optical drives reach nowhere near the bandwidths to make SATA useful, which is why machines –*whether laptops or desktops –*typically have a PATA bridge for the optical drive. The one big reason I can think of to have an SATA optical drive is to get rid of that bridge.

Except PATA is not hot-pluggable. External drives must be hot-pluggable or at least warm-pluggable. This could be circumvented by using Firewire or USB 2.0. Besides, nobody said the eSATA connector would be only for the optical drive. It could just as easily allow you to connect external hard drives, which could definitely benefit from the extra bandwidth. But even Firewire 400 is a too slow for today's 3.5" SATA hard drives. You'd need Firewire 800, and that's nearly dead as an interface. eSATA is the only interface with headroom for drives in the next few years.
  • Reply 158 of 248
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benton View Post

Save trees, support digital ebooks.

I would guess that computer technology is far more resourse intensive and does more damage to the environment than producing books: save the planet and don't buy computers. \
  • Reply 159 of 248
    Edit: ...
  • Reply 160 of 248
    Quote:

Sebastian

Let me get this straight: you think that it's possible for a computer company to make a clamshell style notebook that is thinner than an iPod Nano? Even the Motorola RAZR is 1/2" thick! You're completely dilusional! 3/4" might be possible today, and 1/2" might be possible in a few years, but I doubt that you will ever see a notebook that is less than 1/4" thick (unless, perhaps, the screen is completely removed and replaced with a holographic display!).