RANT: I hate roomates

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
I swear.

I have two roomates, S and T. T has been living here before I got here, but this house is owned by my parent so I'm responsible for it. S just moved in December 1st. T works a job from 5PM to 2AM and parties until 6-7 at someone elses house, so I literally don't see him. Ever.

NO-ONE DOES ANYTHING. I swear. Roomate S doesn't need roomates, he needs a mom. He is the only one who uses our dishes 90% of the time, and he has only done the dishes once (or twice) since he's moved in (3 months or so). He always has shady people over and always thinks our house is a party house by blasting techno music until 11 at night and having people over to smoke pot. BTW, he promised he wasn't going to smoke pot all of Feb. because he didn't want to hurt our friendship (since he knows I hate it). That lasted... oh.... 3 days.

I lent him $150 for us to buy an Xbox 360 on Novemeber 18th and he didn't fully pay me back 'til last week. He's left the front door (and back door) wide open all night. He left EVERY SINGLE LIGHT on in the house and he wasn't even home. He leaves his dirty laundry out, his dirty dishes out, and he goes into my room to borrow my laptop.

WTF! I swear, if he defaults on rent I am going to kick him out like woh!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Kick him out.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    I thank god I never had to have a roommate.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    justinjustin Posts: 403member
    You've got to sit down with him to review the situation and be frank with him otherwise your blood will boil and he'll continue to behave as he is blissfully ignorant. Call a 3 month review and sit down with him and have a sobering coffee. If you don't, you're either going to lose him as a friend, or decide that he's such a prick you'd have to kick him out anyhow.

My last flatmate was like that: he never vacuumed the apartment once - left dishes in the sink, and always left toothpaste marks over the sink bowl. Incapable of cooking, and definitely not house trained. Even worse, he'd end up spraying the window with the shower hose completely drenching the cotton blinds. It wasn't the lighting he left on - he'd leave the central heating on in summer, in order to dry his clothes on the radiator. I'd be sweltering, and he'd insist that it was only for a short period, as we had to open the windows and doors, just so that he could dry his clothes.

His most amazing trait was that he never seemed to use any toilet roll. I'm still amazed at that. I don't know how that's possible, but anyway, I never got to ask him.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    Roommates are pure evil!
  • Reply 5 of 16
    One of my roomates has never cleaned a dish. He tosses food on the floor, drinks all the time and is known to puke. He does try to sweep some of the time, but he is horribly inefective. He sleeps and wakes at the oddest times. He has never paid a cent in rent, though, to be fair, he did not sign the lease.

I swear, after his second birthday we are going to have a serious talk with him...
  • Reply 6 of 16
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    i had a room mate in college when he arrived 2 weeks late for the first quarter he had a large washing machine box filled with his clothes, he would sniff then wear what ever then use it as his laundry basket, he would study in the nude while he drank albertson's brand scotch. but he was a wonderful cartoon artist, sort of like for marvel. total slob. i had midterms to study for and usually he drove his kawasaki 500 to san francisco to bang his babe for most weekends. but that weekend i quess she came down. when i came in, she was on top of him doing the nasty, my books and lab books were on the other side of the room, no way to close the door and walk out, i had to have those books. without missing a beat she starts talking to me about what a cool room mate i was and how i liked the school, as she was babling i said yea yea, ran to my books got them while he huffed and she talked saying "see ya". i just needed a place to study, so i ran down to the study lab opened the door and almost took the head off my x-girl friend doing the nasty with some dude. geez......can't i find a place to study and kick my keester i was the only one not gettin any that friday and weekend.

my replacement roomate after the above failed and transfered to berkley, was from nicarugua (sp)

who was part of a govt bilingual education program. only he couldn't speak english so how could he teach someone else to, but hey that's your tax dollars at work and another story. about a month after he started, he faked his own suicide, hiding in the closet taking criptic notes while the entire city police and campus police were looking for him, once found he said he was doing a psycology experiment.

then i got the room all to myself and kept it that way till senior year and graduation.

so don't tell me about room mates.

my buddy had a basketball player which could do no harm, till he got drunk pulled up a bunch of trees and held his sacraficial girlfriend over the 3rd floor balcony by her ankle till the cops convinced him to let her go.....my buddy also finished the year alone. so maybe the moral is get a freak much better odds they implode and leave you to your peace and solitude.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Man, you guys live/d with a bunch of losers!

All the roommate experiences in my life were pretty good overall.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Justin View Post

...Even worse, he'd end up spraying the window with the shower hose completely drenching the cotton blinds. ...

His most amazing trait was that he never seemed to use any toilet roll. I'm still amazed at that. I don't know how that's possible, but anyway, I never got to ask him.

I think I see a connection there.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

Haha.

Seconded.

It really pays to screen your roommates as well as you can ahead of signing the lease. Talk about your expectations beforehand, etc. Almost like you're getting married.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    Quote:

Err...you're more likely to be that room mate we're talking about...

Shawn's the second

And both of you probably don't use toilet paper either huh?
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mydo View Post

I think I see a connection there.

Living with him, I really didn't want to see any connection between the two!
  • Reply 12 of 16
    I lived in a dorm that had sinks in the rooms. Typical nasty guy thing sometimes someone would just take a leak in the sink rather than go down the hall to the bathroom. Which may be okay in a crowded college bar bathroom but otherwise was nasty.

So in the room next door one night one roommate comes home drunk and proceeds to take a leak in the "sink" and instead gave his roommate a golden shower in the face.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Quote:

Shawn's the second

I will admit to being the messy one. Sometime I'll leave a sink full of dishes for a day or two, and yes, I don't leave much space for my roomie's things in the freezer. Maybe the occasional glob of toothpaste in the sink. But we seem to get along just fine.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Shawn's the second

Hey, I'm innocent I did my dishes and only smoked pot if someone offered

Seriously though, if you're in a situation where you can put some thought into who you live with, it usually works out. Sometimes not even that's needed. When I was in grad school I hadn't met either of my roommates until the day we moved in, and it worked out well.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    That's true

Guess it depends - are you the kind of guy who needs a home to move into, or can you make a place a home for yourself and others?

Usually when people 'vet' a flat mate, out comes the inflated CV claiming that they've been housetrained.

A bit like university - once you join the faculty, then that's when they start treating you like ____
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bageljoey View Post

One of my roomates has never cleaned a dish. He tosses food on the floor, drinks all the time and is known to puke. He does try to sweep some of the time, but he is horribly inefective. He sleeps and wakes at the oddest times. He has never paid a cent in rent, though, to be fair, he did not sign the lease.

I swear, after his second birthday we are going to have a serious talk with him...

Someone really should have posted an lol here before now. Just me that chuckled here? Oh well, thanks for brightening up my day!