Formac - New OS X TV software

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I dont know about you gurs, but I can see merit in the Formac studio products.... but I have been waiting for them to put up some OS X TV software. They have jsut done this, and it si called Tevion.... the screen captures at the tevion software link on the studio pages looks very cool...... they even let you download it.

Interestingly they have also jsut announced a version of thier studio which has a 48G hard disk.... so you can actually record your TV/dV straight to it as a hard disk, or use it to help you edit. The price is a bit steep though for this variant.

Worth a look at <a href="http://www.formac.com"; target="_blank">www.formac.com</a> in the Video/TV devices section.

I'd love to hear from anyone who already has the Formac studio and can install the new OS X tevion software and comment. I hae a 22 cinema display so I am interested in the size/quality/resolution quetions of the TV playback in the new OS X tevion software.

Cheers

adam

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    adam11adam11 Posts: 163member
    Oh yeah, this software is Cocoa!.... I just installed it but it wont start unless you actually have the formac studio plugged in...

cheers

Adam
  • Reply 2 of 7
    I want the ProTV drivers for OS X
  • Reply 3 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    What do you want to know? I just downloaded this about an hour ago. I installed it on both a Pismo 500 and a QS 867 with 22 inch cinema display.

This is a very nice looking application. They say it is beta so I'm not too hard on it yet. The live view has small problems with sound syncing to video. The first bunch of recorded clips I made had no problem at all. Later I started to get some problems with this. Maybe just some strange settings I used.

I think the Formac Studio works great for converting video (camera or VHS) to DV. As a TV tuner it leaves a little to be desired because of the conversion of TV to DV. TV is interlaced but when viewed with the Studio you sometimes get interlace artifacts. If you strictly want a TV tuner for your computer there might be a more suitable product available.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thanks... now there is a choice to make.... I want a tV tuner, but the flexibility of the Studio for authoring also is appealing.

Anyone got any ideas on a good TV tuner (I already have the Escape MyTV but there is no OS X support and it is a bit unstable (not to mention causes lots of conflicts).

Grateful for thoughts

Adam
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Oh yeah, I too have the 22" ACD and I was interested in the quality of the TV output from the studio too... I guess the max is 640x480 ?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    neutrino23neutrino23 Posts: 1,562member
    [quote]Originally posted by Adam11:

<strong>Oh yeah, I too have the 22" ACD and I was interested in the quality of the TV output from the studio too... I guess the max is 640x480 ?</strong><hr></blockquote>

DV is 720 x 480.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    are you saying that the formac takes the NTSC 680x480 and outputs it through the firewire at 720x480 ?

Is there a distortion. ?

Thanks

adam