Should I update to Airport 2.0?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
've got an old base station and two old Airport cards in a Pismo and an iMac.

What can I get out of updating to Airport 2.0?

I'm running 1.3.1 now.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Personally, I am waiting for the new wireless standards to be implemented before I make the switch. In a nutshell, whatever new standard is chosen will have 54 Mbps bandwith (we have 11 now), the same or greater effective range, will probably be backward compatible (meaning you can use your existing wireless equipment alongside the new equipment -- though it would still perform at the same speed), and will likely have increased security.

Considering that these new standards should emerge sometime next year, I'd suggest that if you can manage with what you have now, you should probably wait until the new gear is released.

But hey, the new base stations look cool

-Ender
  • Reply 2 of 4
    I think he meant the software
  • Reply 3 of 4
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    If it ain't broke don't fix it
  • Reply 4 of 4
    enderender Posts: 353member
    Ah, I see. I assumed hardware because he was describing the base station and the cards themselves.

For the software, I don't think it will do much for you unless you are using a new base station. I could be wrong, but that's the feeling I get from Apple's information. You don't need a new base station unless you need the new security (unlikely). If you might end up connected to a new base station somewhere else with your pismo though, it might not hurt to upgrade your stuff at home.

-Ender