My latest impressions of x86 and Windows XP

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well, i just returned from my local circuit city. I played around with several machines. The macs were password locked and I didn't want to go through the hassle of talking to sales people, so I played with th PC's .

First, I would like to say that I officially HATE XP. It's look is disgusting and even on a 1.8GHZ P4 Sony VAIO, it is not all that fast. I am not impressed at all.

Second, I would like to laugh at how slow 1.0GHZ celeron machines are. They suck....and run slower than my 500MHZ Pismo. Even the P4 machines were not much better. Opening programs is no faster than my machine, and once again, I HATED the interface.

nuff said

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Sometime I really suspect all those computer 'shops' password protect all the Mac on purpose - to discourage people to try Mac.

This happens to all the big retail chains in western Canada...London Dumbs, Furtile Shop, CompuSlut

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</p>
  • Reply 2 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    Yesterday I was at my local CompUSA and after being in the Mac section for a while I went over and played with Windows XP on some PCs. Every time I see it my opinion of its looks gets worse and worse. It really looks like something a 1st grader would play with. I can't stand it.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    XP aint bad, its customizable which is cool. However that damn start menu is the worst POS ive ever seen, talk about taking a bad idea and making it worse...

Oh I miss my MacOS9 tabs...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    the start menu itself is a very good idea, it was just executed poorly, I'm sure if apple had made a start menu(which there are some for macos out there, which I've seen MANY pros using) it would be alot better, because all in all apple just does things better.

My experience with Xp is that its not that slow(800 mhz vaio laptop) and though the look and start menu are pretty horrendous, the speed was way faster than my friends 1.6 ghz p4 maxed out ever option running windows 2000 or ME or something like that(his computer takes literally 5-10 seconds just to open folders)
  • Reply 5 of 5
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    [quote]Originally posted by Leonis:

<strong>Sometime I really suspect all those computer 'shops' password protect all the Mac on purpose - to discourage people to try Mac.

This happens to all the big retail chains in western Canada...London Dumbs, Furtile Shop, CompuSlut

[ 12-01-2001: Message edited by: Leonis ]</strong><hr></blockquote>

No.. I have worked at these stores before when I was younger. They do that so the PC idiots don't **** with them and try and screw them up. There are teenybopper and some not so young that go to these stores and pruposably try to destroy the OS.

It's really lame.