The person who will raise the bar for Apple.....

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
A lot of talk from just about everywhere has been about how Apple has raised the bar for the cell phone industry with the introduction of a portable device that by no means needs an introduction here. As far as current cell phone manufactures, we pretty much have an idea of the direction of their R&D and have an idea of what their technologies and limitations are in the cell phone market.

Without getting to detailed about what technologies each competitor is capable of, Nokia has a large presence mainly due to the sheer number of phone models it puts out. They probably have more cell phone models created than the number of people they employ. Motorola has been a large presence since the creation of cell phone mainly due to their ability to create sleek phones. This has been a trend for them since they went head to head with AT&T that resulted in the creation of the StarTac and today the Razr. Other Cell phone manufactures have their niches of course, RIM, samsung, LG, etc etc etc.

Well then with all the competition about and around which of these might possibly turn the table on Apple on their own playing field with technology that's even better than the iPhone and where will they get such innovation from? My prediction on which company would have to be Motorola even though others are further along in touchscreen technology. My prediction on whom will be from Jeff Han. If a company such as Motorola can court some of the innovation from Jef Han, and given the direction and inertia Jeff Han and his new company has going, there's going to be some wild innovation in those technologies probably within the year.

It's pretty obvious that Apple doesn't own touch screen technology, and technolgies they've tried to patent (gestures for example) are questionably proprietary in my opinion as Jeff Han seems to claim these technologies can be implemented by many, and he's one of them. So if Apple doesn't own Jeff Han and his innovation then he would be at the very least a person of interest for companies that want to compete with the iPhone.

I think that if a new device with jaw dropping technology is going to come about and compete on the touchscreen playing field Apple is sitting in, it's going to derive from Jeff Han. It remains to be seen which company(s) will embrace the innovation when it surfaces.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Jeff Han didn't invent multi touch either, it's been around for ages. But he has been responsible for a lot of it's progression in recent years. Apple do "own" the rights to some multi touch technology and have owned it ever since they bought Finger Works, a company involved in touch screen developments for a long time. I don't know the extent of Apples multi touch ownership, or how far their patent reaches, but I do know that they will be the company to make it real as far as the consumer is concerned.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    It seems that the windowsworld makes everybody believe that slapping some nice components in a box makes a good computer... or adding more hardware features makes a better phone.

As a Mac-user or iPod-owner you should know that by now.

Most important aspect of the iPhone is the software.

The multitouch screen, allthough a nice feature, is not the ultimate or only thing that makes the iPhone tick.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

It seems that the windowsworld makes everybody believe that slapping some nice components in a box makes a good computer... or adding more hardware features makes a better phone.

As a Mac-user or iPod-owner you should know that by now.

Most important aspect of the iPhone is the software.

The multitouch screen, allthough a nice feature, is not the ultimate or only thing that makes the iPhone tick.

I agree, however remember that it's only the individuals who own the products (ie, me and you) that are sold on how good the software is.

Now let's pretend I'm Motorola for a sec. Well I've seen the software on that iPhone that Apple came out with and there's really no way in hell my company's dwarfing that in this decade. As much as I'd like to think that we as Motorola makes the best products on the market, and we continue to incorporate the best software on our handsets, we know people didn't buy the Razr because of how intuitive the software on the phone is Consumers didn't see the Razr in a TV ad and thought, "wow what great software!" They saw the aesethics of it, they saw the brand and that's what sold.

I'm not claiming Motorola or any other company for that matter is going to or has plans to compete with Apple at their own game. I'm just saying that if a piece of technology and innovation will surface that has the potential to be used by Apple or in direct competition against Apple via another company I'm willing to bet it's highly likely to come from Perceptive Pixel.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by boss1 View Post

we know people didn't buy the Razr because of how intuitive the software on the phone is

You can say that again.

However, fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice... I will never buy another Motorola phone again until someone categorically demonstrates that the software stack isn't a piece of garbage. It will have to be a long demonstration.

And don't even get me started on Windows Mobile--it can go set itself on fire. Even Microsoft tacitly admits it's bad, as they've thrown out ActiveSync.

I use the Nokia E61, and while I can say that the interface could use a bit of improvement, the Symbian OS is ahead of many others. Much of the stuff I want to do with it Just Works. Apple will have to get past that, because I can buy two unlocked E61s for the cost of an iPhone, and use them on any GSM carrier.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    ipeonipeon Posts: 1,122member
    I have yet to see a company that can match Apple's UI design. A UI is the means that enables communication with a tool, that communication should approximate real world behavior. Apple is king on this front. It isn't so much about technology, it's about design and the integration of. I don't see anyone that can "raise the bar" on this front. The competition will be copying or trying to copy Apple's UI in order to compete with.