Give it up, it's over for HD-DVD

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Based on what? There are over a million BD players in home today and HD DVD sill sells more titles on Head to Head blockbuster challenges.

Dude, they don't. One quick look at the eproductwars site will show you that.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wilco View Post

What are you talking about? He's referring to Australia not having any impact.

Oh.

My bad.

• Reply 23 of 46
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jules View Post

Dude, they don't. One quick look at the eproductwars site will show you that.

http://www.eproductwars.com/dvd/

Feb 16th 3:24 pm

The Departed HD DVD ranked 92

The Departed Blu-ray ranked 95

Again. I'm not disputing the fact that Blu-ray has more titles in the pipeline and that won't have an effect but clearly if HD DVD fans are showing their "might" on the top titles one could easily surmise that given content equilibrium HD DVD would still be outdoing Blu-ray.

Again HD DVD is at a 3x disadvantage in numbers yet it competes very well. I realize that I'm comparing one title but it speaks volumes about power of HD DVD given its underdog status and lack of bundling with a console. Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    Quote:

Again. I'm not disputing the fact that Blu-ray has more titles in the pipeline and that won't have an effect but clearly if HD DVD fans are showing their "might" on the top titles one could easily surmise that given content equilibrium HD DVD would still be outdoing Blu-ray.

Again HD DVD is at a 3x disadvantage in numbers yet it competes very well. I realize that I'm comparing one title but it speaks volumes about power of HD DVD given its underdog status and lack of bundling with a console. Reports of its death have been greatly exaggerated.

THen you start looking at the ammount of sales for #2 - #10 titles, and starts with #2 at 201 for Blu Ray, and #2 at 997 for HD. Boy. HD has them beat on the 1 title. How many people are buying the rest of the titles? It's all Blu-Ray.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    robmrobm Posts: 1,068member
    Quote:

Try Christchurch.

LOL - practise wearing an eye patch for the next 18 months.

Or have one eye stitched closed ....

Start shouting - Go Crusaders !

Randomly, in a grunting, husky fashion.

Change your wardrobe to red and black items only.

You'll thank me later ....
  • Reply 26 of 46
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:

A little town called Tauranga. Unless you're ready to retire, I dont recommend it.

Try Christchurch.

looks pretty darn nice to me

• Reply 27 of 46
    Now that the DRM used by HD-DVD and Blu-Ray, AACS, has been partially cracked, while Blu-Ray has an additional layer of protection on top of AACS called BD+ that hasn't been cracked at all yet (though it has yet to be used), studios might move towards Blu-Ray quickly.
  • Reply 28 of 46
    cakecake Posts: 1,010member
    Most consumers don't care about DRM (look at iTunes).

They just want to be able to buy a movie or song and be able to play it at home.
  • Reply 29 of 46
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I think that's his point. Most consumers won't care if AACS is cracked or not, but the studios do care if it means HD DVD content will be widely pirated. As long as BD+ doesn't keep consumers from playing back their discs, they'll keep buying Blu-ray. Sony needs to be careful there to avoid another rootkit debacle.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    Frankly, I haven't seen any interest by consumers in either format. Most BDs and HD-DVDs go left unsold at my local Best Buy, and I know of no people expressing an interest in either format either. I think they're both screwed. Besides, I heard mention of a 50GB format DVD recently on the This Week In Media (TWiM) podcast...
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Besides, I heard mention of a 50GB format DVD recently on the This Week In Media (TWiM) podcast...

The ten-layer DVD technology has a way to go, much less be supported.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    xyz001xyz001 Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post

Congratulations on having a great TV, but it does not display 1080i natively. Like all digital sets, it accepts 1080i input. However, it scales content to its native pixel density which is most likely 1024 x 768. You don't even have square pixels--which is common for plasma screens in this size range. To get square pixels, you have to get at least the 50" TH-50PX60U which is 1366 x 768. To get native 1080 resolution, you have to go all the way up to the 65" TH-65PX600U which is 1920 x 1080 and is advertised as 1080p. It will, however, set you back $10,000.

Or you could go for a nice Sony Bravia LCD 40" TV for less than $3000.

Sony KDL-40W2000

http://www.sonycenter.lu/images/tv-2...KDL40W2000.jpg

It's native 1080p resolution (1920x1080), and even a nice design.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    Quote:

A little town called Tauranga. Unless you're ready to retire, I dont recommend it.

Try Christchurch.

Why? Women in short supply? I'm swimming in gorgeous girls here in the Phoenix area.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

Actually...yeah.

Right now WE make all the movies and WE get to buy them on DVD before anyone else. ...

What a mong.

Australia is not America, and America is not Australia.

Not a hard concept for Yanks to grasp, I'd have thought? (Not sure about Aussies, mind).
  • Reply 35 of 46
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by krispie View Post

What a mong.

Shut up. The user to whom I was replying didn't have anything in the "Location" section of their profile. I (wrongly) assumed that he/she was from America. I apologized later. Jeez.
  • Reply 36 of 46
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

The Departed has shifted from side to side constantly. Right now it's:

The Departed HD DVD ranked 34

The Departed Blu-ray ranked 23

Number two on each side is:

The Prestige Blu-ray: 29

Babel HD DVD: 131 (Babel on Blu-ray is ranked 102 but is only the fourth best selling BD).
  • Reply 37 of 46
    julesjules Posts: 149member
    Holey moley, ok a few notes.

If amazon is anything to go by (maybe debatable...) but:

Their stock of Blu-Ray has taken an enormous leap, well over what HD-DVD has. This suggests to me that they are expecting possibly to move quite a lot of that stock.

Yes that is a photo of my home town. Never judge a book by its cover. Barbara Striesands song "From a distance" springs to mind...

The person who quoted the canterbury crusaders above got things roughly correct, although go easy on the manners, as they aren't that polite. They are better than the otago highlanders however.

And one would assume if Sony's claims on moving so many PS3's is correct, there would be shiteloads of PS3's in living rooms now, somewhat more than the clunky x-box 360 add on HD-DVD. Many of these users say they want to watch movies. Granted, the jury is still out, but things are looking decidedly in favour of Blu-ray currently.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    Quote:

Actually...yeah.

Right now WE make all the movies and WE get to buy them on DVD before anyone else

Yeah, you´re probably right. USA is the only country in ze world making movies...

Quote:

Actually...yeah.

Therefore WE are kind of dictating how this is going to work out. American companies are going to distribute the format that Americans buy and ditch the other. The rest of the world will then have to deal with it.

Or not.

Do we care about the NTSC format?

Do we use Imperial measurements?

Do we use your date format?

Although the globalization of markets tend to favor wide spread standards there are hundreds of countries who couldnt care less for US "standards" (or their movies for that matter).

IMHO: The format war will be won by *companies* (mostly Asian ones), not individual countries.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    Quote:

Actually...yeah.

Right now WE make all the movies and WE get to buy them on DVD before anyone else. Therefore WE are kind of dictating how this is going to work out. American companies are going to distribute the format that Americans buy and ditch the other. The rest of the world will then have to deal with it.

Yay America.

(slithers away to hide)

That's why CDMA won and GSM lost.
  • Reply 40 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kendoka View Post

Yeah, you´re probably right. USA is the only country in ze world making movies...

Or not.

Do we care about the NTSC format?

Do we use Imperial measurements?

Do we use your date format?

Although the globalization of markets tend to favor wide spread standards there are hundreds of countries who couldnt care less for US "standards" (or their movies for that matter).

IMHO: The format war will be won by *companies* (mostly Asian ones), not individual countries.

Kendoka I think your taking his post a little too literally.

I think what he means is that the US does make more movies, and sell more movie tickets, and DVD's than all other countries combined annually. Not only does the US spend more at theaters, they spend the most in movie production per year. So essentially the US does throw an enormous amount of weight around in terms of dollars when it comes to the format wars, and all of those, *companies*, put those almighty dollars" at the top of their priority list.

This is a list of the all time world box office.

I don't see anything but movies mostly backed by hollywood movie studios, and hollywood dollars. They are mostly made in the US, with a few in europe, and Newzeland, but they are all US movies in terms of dollars, or studios.