Anyone used Zicam?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Anyone had experience with this stuff?

I just bought a box and I've only had the cold less than 24 hours. I'm a little nervous from the supposed loss of smell that some people have claimed. But, hey, smelling's overrated and the lawsuit seems a little suspicious. Anyway, how good is this stuff? I don't know anyone that's used it firsthand and it'd be nice to see some first-hand accounts other than those from zicam.com...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Goddamnit. I guess none of you guys get sick.

Well just an update. After receiving no responses, I decided to use it. I no longer can taste lemons, smell bleach nor SpamSandwich's vicious farts from up close.

But, on the bright side, two out of those three ain't that bad!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I have used it before without the loss of smell. Seems to work too.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guybrush Threepwood View Post

I don't know anyone that's used it firsthand and it'd be nice to see some first-hand accounts other than those from zicam.com...

Since it's an over the counter drug, I wouldn't touch it. Possibly many others feel the same way. There are natural immune boosters.

Personally, I rely on Russian Choice Immune. It was developed to counteract biological attacks, and had a massive test run when a biological warfare plant sprung a leak near Kiev. Everyone got the immune booster, and nobody got sick. The only place I know where it's sold in at the Organic Pharmacy, on line.

• Reply 4 of 9
    Well, not that it matters, BUUUUT...

It has been two days since I was sick (Sunday), and the cold is pretty much gone. Which is funny because my roomate is still sick. And he started earlier than I did. This could be a coincidence, but I don't ever remember getting over a cold in 2 days.

Weird.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

This could be a coincidence, but I don't ever remember getting over a cold in 2 days.

Weird.

What's a cold? ? ? ?

• Reply 6 of 9
    I've used the quick-melt variety of Zicam with moderate success.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Ahh...so you can taste lemons and smell amonia still.

Nice.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Quote:

Ahh...so you can taste lemons and smell amonia still.

Nice.

Are you sure the lack of smell and taste isn't just short term, or possibly a hold over from the cold?
  • Reply 9 of 9
    I've been using Zicam nasal gel since 2001 and absolutely swear by the stuff!

I had my last nasty cold in April of that year and have not had a knock-me-down cold since! I have grandkids so am certainly exposed to all varieties of virus.

I now prefer to apply the gel with a q-tip rather than squirting the gel in my nose. I have a sneaking suspicion that those who have complained of nasal burn and/or loss of smell have actually been snorting the stuff. Before I starting using the q-tips, I would sometimes sniff after application and it would bother me. I guess some folks don't get the basic idea of the product which is to kill the bacteria/virus IN the nose before it can pass farther into the nasal passages. I have told all my friends/family about Zicam and none have used it regularly. Lack of commitment? I dunno! I think it's amazing stuff!!!