Spotlight Default Return Press

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey there,

Spotlight is great and fast.

One apparent drawback though - on running a search, and then pressing return, it provides me with a window containing the full search results.

However, is it possible for the return key press to default instead to the first choice in the list. This would enable to run a search on, say, 'mail' and on pressing return it would take me straight to it.

Regards,

Nius.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nius View Post

Hey there,

Spotlight is great and fast.

One apparent drawback though - on running a search, and then pressing return, it provides me with a window containing the full search results.

However, is it possible for the return key press to default instead to the first choice in the list. This would enable to run a search on, say, 'mail' and on pressing return it would take me straight to it.

Regards,

Nius.

You can press the apple button..(I think it was the apple button) and it will take you to the first hit, after that you can press return.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Interesting.

It's close to what I wanted, but no cigar.

Thanks anyway.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    This is a change that will happen in Leopard
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nius View Post

Interesting.

It's close to what I wanted, but no cigar.

Thanks anyway.

Why not? Holding cmd and pressing return is too cumbersome?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    niusnius Posts: 58member
    Yes. It's one additional keypress. Why the necessity?

I don't like Windows a great deal, but one thing I do like about Windows (that I first grew to love in KDE and then discovered - to my astonishment - in Windows) is the ability to:

Win + R + "winword" + Enter -> Word

In OS X, it seems to be:

Apple + Space + "mail" + DownArrow/Apple + Enter -> Mail

When you get used to something so quick, one extra keypress makes a big difference.

Now we are on the subject, as it goes, it seems that you are unable to pull up a webpage without first having to open Safari.

Again, I don't like Windows. However, one thing I do like about Windows is the ability to:

Win + R + "www.google.com" + Enter -> Google