Do you think 10.5 will be out soon?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'm still running 10.3. Should I buy 10.4 now, or should I wait for 10.5?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Wait for 10.5
  • Reply 2 of 15
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    Might as well wait now... it should only a couple of months (*) until Leopard.

* where "couple of months" is between 1-6 months
  • Reply 3 of 15
    At the very most you'll have to wait 4 months, but if was a betting man i'd bet that Leopard will be out before the month of May begins.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    mrsinmrsin Posts: 163member
    I'm still looking for 10.4.9 !
  • Reply 5 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SuperGrover View Post

I'm still running 10.3. Should I buy 10.4 now, or should I wait for 10.5?

Wait for 10.5, but it is not going to be out in one or two months fron now, if that's what you mean by "soon".
  • Reply 6 of 15
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    Nobody knows when 10.5 will be out. There have been painfully few leaks about the development progress. All we know is that NAB is in April and WWDC is in June.

Just for fun, I'm going to make a guess that 10.5 will be out in about a month. In fact, I'll even name a date: Saturday, March 24. Exactly six years after 10.0 was released. With any other company, I wouldn't think this had much significance. But Apple is one that does this type of thing. So, don't base buying decisions off of me, but thats what I think.
  • Reply 7 of 15
    I believe it will be out before June, right around when Adobe CS3 ships. Thats almost a given I think. So I would go ahead and just wait it out...if you can.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    pbpb Posts: 4,255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Keda View Post

Just for fun, I'm going to make a guess that 10.5 will be out in about a month. In fact, I'll even name a date: Saturday, March 24. Exactly six years after 10.0 was released.

I too had this... romantic thought before, but the Leopard reports here on AI ruined the dream. AI is usually pretty acurate as far as OS X development is concerned and I have no reason to doubt that Leopard was at alpha stage when the reports were published earlier this year.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Just for fun, I'm going to make a guess that 10.5 will be out in about a month. In fact, I'll even name a date: Saturday, March 24. Exactly six years after 10.0 was released. With any other company, I wouldn't think this had much significance. But Apple is one that does this type of thing. So, don't base buying decisions off of me, but thats what I think.

I'd love to see 10.5 out in a month, but that doesn't really give Apple any time to build up the hype for the release date. Usually they like to stoke the fires a bit more before unleashing a new OS.

Sooner the better though, I'm sick of Tiger and dying for something new. And something offering more than Time Machine and a new version of iChat.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    kedakeda Posts: 722member
    I don't think we will see much pre-release hype. I'd say that the people who really care about Leopard already know about it. IMO, the promotional blitz will happen when you can put 10.5 next to Vista, and show the comparison to the masses. This, combined with the press coverage from an actual release will be most effective for Apple's marketing.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Quote:

I don't think we will see much pre-release hype. I'd say that the people who really care about Leopard already know about it. IMO, the promotional blitz will happen when you can put 10.5 next to Vista, and show the comparison to the masses. This, combined with the press coverage from an actual release will be most effective for Apple's marketing.

I hope that you are right, Keda. I think that the negative press that Vista has gotten (quite a lot of good, too) is enough for Mac to say "here's what you've been waiting for."
  • Reply 12 of 15
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    Revealed by March 24.

Released 60-90 days later.

My two cents.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hobbes View Post

Revealed by March 24.

Released 60-90 days later.

My two cents.

Wouldn't make sense.
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Wouldn't make sense.

things dont always make sense with apple
  • Reply 15 of 15
    mikefmikef Posts: 698member
    There's no chance they'll annouce the OS and then it'll be available 60-90 days later... it's been pre-announced already. Steve said it'd be out in the spring, which is probably sometime before June, probably not the end of March. My guess: April 1st.