Someone tell me when Leopard comes out

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Does anyone have some pretty solid dates on when the new OS will be out? My girlfriend is so gung ho about buying a laptop in a few weeks and I am running out of fuel with delaying her purchase. If I could show her some reasonable proof that it is coming soon (i hope), maybe she can wait for it to be pre-installed. Thanks

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleComputer View Post

Does anyone have some pretty solid dates on when the new OS will be out?

No. Spring. That's all we've been told, NDA or not.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    All you can do is suggest she waits. If she wont then she'll have to pony up again. Its really up to her and good luck changing her mind ya know.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Tiger is still a very good OS. Buy now and save up $129 worth of your pennies and nickels for Leopard.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    thanks! so close
  • Reply 5 of 11
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    I wouldn't suggest holding off a purchase based on Leopard because if it's released within a reasonable time from buying a new machine, you tend to get a free upgrade to it. Plus, even buying it outright is not a bad thing because you can install it on more than one machine - a preinstall is only really good for the model of machine it comes with.

However, there are rumors of machine updates coming due to technology improvements. Whether they will be soon or not we don't know but suffice to say, you won't get a free upgrade if you buy too early.

The NAB event where Adobe are announcing CS 3 is coming in mid April, just over a month and a half away. It would make a lot of sense for Apple to have Leopard out before then so that they could demo it at the event. the March 24th date that is floating around would be pretty ideal - exactly 6 years after the original ship date of OS X.

It's really a personal choice. The current machines and OS are solid and machine updates as well as system updates will have teething issues. Given that there aren't really any solid rumors about anything and no reported supply shortages (usually happens around a hardware update), it would seem we may be in for a wait. Stever Jobs did say Macs would get some good things over the course of several months and not a couple of months
  • Reply 6 of 11
    End of March! Tiger will be worth it, get the laptop now. Whatever newer models and newer software, unless you know *why* you're waiting exactly (like what super duper features), go for it now. There's always eBay if you feel you really really really missed out on it. The waiting game is like watching paint dry.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I don't buy this end-of-march thing. Conflating speculation with wishful thinking makes a good rumor not.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I don't buy this end-of-march thing. Conflating speculation with wishful thinking makes a good rumor not.

agreed.

i think WWDC, just seems like the right time. then again, who knows?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Anyone else find it odd that the only place they have talked about Leopard publicly (besides their website) is at WWDC? Since then Apple has not said a single thing to the public regarding the OS. Even Tiger got much more attention then this.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Chucker View Post

I wasn't making a rumour, I was predicting >,<
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sunilraman View Post

I wasn't making a rumour, I was predicting >,<

I wasn't referring to you, just ThinkSecret and the likes.