Can I run Dictionary from os 10.4 under 10.3?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hello, my laptop still uses 10.3.9 and I need an offline dictionary on it for writing. The dictionary application "Dictionary" would be ideal but I can't seem to get it to run on OS 10.3. Anyone have any tips? And suggestions for another offline dictionary/thesaurus? I'm going bonkers over this!

P.s., I can't install OS 10.4 on my laptop because it does not have a DVD drive. Doh!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    All versions of OSX have shipped with a "Dictionary" app... what happened to yours ?
  • Reply 2 of 8
    i don't know =(

I'm gonna check my install CD!
  • Reply 3 of 8
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

All versions of OSX have shipped with a "Dictionary" app... what happened to yours ?

10.3 does not include Dictionary. It's a new feature in 10.4.
  • Reply 4 of 8
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Try OmniDictionary: http://www.omnigroup.com/applications/omnidictionary/

You can't run the Apple dictionary in Panther, unfortunately.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    no wonder I couldn't find it on my install disc last night! Thanks for the confirmation! Cripes. Hey, when I upgrade to Leopard, is there a way I will be able to get it on CD's verses DVD? That way I could also install it on my old 500mhz G3 laptop.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    royboyroyboy Posts: 458member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleComputer View Post

no wonder I couldn't find it on my install disc last night! Thanks for the confirmation! Cripes. Hey, when I upgrade to Leopard, is there a way I will be able to get it on CD's verses DVD? That way I could also install it on my old 500mhz G3 laptop.

OS 10.4 you can get on CD's, but it remains to be seen if Apple will offer the same choice on OS 10.5.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    Wish I had a way to verify it, but I'm pretty sure I've been using Apple's "Dictionary" since way before Tiger...

though it occurs to me... perhaps it is the Dictionary within Sherlock that I am thinking of... and that probably requires a connection...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleComputer View Post

There is also the question of whether G3 processors will continue to be supported with 10.5