HP scanner drivers bad?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have heard bad things about HP scanner drivers.

We are considering getting a cheap All-in-One like the 5610 or 6210.

It looks like they use the HP Scan Pro software...

Is the scanning interface some bloated proprietary interface or will it work via TWAIN through GraphicConverter?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy View Post

I have heard bad things about HP scanner drivers.

We are considering getting a cheap All-in-One like the 5610 or 6210.

It looks like they use the HP Scan Pro software...

Is the scanning interface some bloated proprietary interface or will it work via TWAIN through GraphicConverter?

You know what, it damn well sucks. My All-In-One's Scanning Software is a piece of crap.

For that matter, just install the drivers anyways, and use Image Capture.

Sebastian
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

You know what, it damn well sucks. My All-In-One's Scanning Software is a piece of crap.

For that matter, just install the drivers anyways, and use Image Capture.

Sebastian

Yikes!

Can you describe some of the ways in which it is crap?

So, if it works via Apple Image Capture, does that mean that Graphic Converter can use it too?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Timmmy View Post

Yikes!

Can you describe some of the ways in which it is crap?

So, if it works via Apple Image Capture, does that mean that Graphic Converter can use it too?

I have limited Experience trying to scan anything, seeing as how I usually keep it plugged into my Airport Express (speaking of which, I wish Apple would introduce Bonjour Scanning already)

Here's a summary. First I had to figure out how it worked, then I realized I needed to keep those damn Drivers installed whenever I need to scan something. I thought Image Capture would do the job but apparently I was wrong on that front.

So I install the drivers and software, and I find I can't just select the Scanner stuff, I have to install EVERYTHING! Considering I use Bonjour for all my printing, and iPhoto for actual Photo Management, this was highly annoying.

I tried to scan multiple photos, but for some reason I couldn't "accept" multiple photos. It would work at first, more or less getting perfect outlines of my photos, but then when I tried to accept them all, the button just wouldn't work for some reason. I could click it all I wanted to and it would do nothing. So I tried to rescan everything only to find I was going to have to quit the Application before I could do anything.

I quit the Application, and eventually find out that I can only scan one photo at a time. I was prepared to scan a lot of photos, but I eventually gave up on the idea.

As for the question about the Graphic Converter, I'm not sure what you mean but you can scan, adjust the quality, then rescan and import it into iPhoto (or other Photo Apps) if you want. I wish you luck, I don't have the same model exactly as you, but I suspect it's the same Software.

Sebastian

EDIT: I mean I don't have the same exact model as the one you are considering, but I still suspect it's the same Software.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    HP have had prblems with their scanner drivers for years! I don't think I've ever heard of anyone (PC or Mac users) who havn't had problems with HP scanner drivers.