Activating Windows XP - won't type " S " ????

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm booted in Windows, trying to activate Windows with my activation code. It's 5 x 5 letters & numbers.

The second last letter is an S

When I type S nothing is written in the windows activation code box.

As a matter of fact, there are several letters and numbers it wont type ?????

Ghost in the machine????????

HELP !!! I CAN'T PLAY BATTLEFIELD NOW !!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    I know this sounds crazy, but the way I remember it, Microsoft product keys aren't combinations of all available numbers and letters. For instance, zeroes and Os can be confused, so they don't use those.

However, it sounds off that you just wouldn't be able to type them in at all. Who knows. So here's my off-my-rocker advice: maybe it's a 5, not an S.

Hope that helps...
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nevenmrgan View Post

I know this sounds crazy, but the way I remember it, Microsoft product keys aren't combinations of all available numbers and letters. For instance, zeroes and Os can be confused, so they don't use those.

However, it sounds off that you just wouldn't be able to type them in at all. Who knows. So here's my off-my-rocker advice: maybe it's a 5, not an S.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for your best shot. I already thought of that and tried it, but I don't even think that I could type 5 either? or perhaps it just wouldn't accept the activation code. It is S and not 5.

This is very strange. And even more so when I happen to know that the very same code worked for a friend of mine !!!! ????? on his Mac Book Pro.

damn... I already miss playing battlefield
  • Reply 3 of 10
    Is perhaps the num lock feature turned on in Windows? I had that problem too a few months ago. Try hitting F6 once or twice before entering the serial number and make sure the green light disappears.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

Is perhaps the num lock feature turned on in Windows? I had that problem too a few months ago. Try hitting F6 once or twice before entering the serial number and make sure the green light disappears.

I can activate or deactivate the num lock on my Mac keyboard without F6, I just hit the num lock directly. Perhaps the Bootcamp driver CD is better now than back then I don't know ?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zab The Fab View Post

I can activate or deactivate the num lock on my Mac keyboard without F6, I just hit the num lock directly. Perhaps the Bootcamp driver CD is better now than back then I don't know ?

Well, F6 actually IS the NumLock key on MacBooks and MacBook Pros, but you're probably using an external keyboard, right? Are you're sure to enter just and only the numbers and no "-" or "Tab" or spaces in between?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    And just to be sure, you're using the latest BootCamp driver CD, right? Plus the correct keyboard setting in Windows?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:

This is very strange. And even more so when I happen to know that the very same code worked for a friend of mine !!!! ????? on his Mac Book Pro.

Mmm... Why don't we just post several serialz up here to help you out?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    If you're intent on it, you can find and try plenty of different codes from the web.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Quote:

Are you using the same install CD? Sometimes codes work with different "builds"/"versions" (the way I understand it) of WinXP2. That is, WinXP2pro is not always the same WinXP2pro.......
  • Reply 10 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gwoodpecker View Post

Well, F6 actually IS the NumLock key on MacBooks and MacBook Pros, but you're probably using an external keyboard, right? Are you're sure to enter just and only the numbers and no "-" or "Tab" or spaces in between?

To get F6 one has to hold down "Fn" key then press "F6/numlock" key. Otherwise pressing "F6/numlock" by itself is just numlock on/off...

Whoa... I am doing screen spanning on MacBook here, and F7 seems to switch between mirroring and spanning. Cool. Never tried that.