B-52 Bomber Base @ Barksdale AFB

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
Barksdale AFB is home to a very large contingent of B-52 bombers and A-10 tank busters. It's pretty impressive to see so many bombers all parked and even more crazy to know there are even more at other locations and this is after the US started to reduce the number of bombers after the cold war ended.

There also a air museum with some various older planes left on display, pretty impressive.

http://www.intrepidearth.com/tour/ra...hp?loc=021807a

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    mydomydo Posts: 1,888member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Cold War may be ended but there's a lot of Muslims about these days - best keep those Tank-Busters primed......

The B-52 is more of a carpet bomber than a tank buster. The tank buster is the A10.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    Wasn't our good friend here Mort going to keep all these posts in one thread?

---

The US thrives off war, so they are going to keep the tools of it around as long as possible while trying to say the world is a dangerous place.

It is, but due in part to the posturings of the US.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The US thrives off war, so they are going to keep the tools of it around as long as possible while trying to say the world is a dangerous place.

It is, but due in part to the posturings of the US.

Save the armchair-politician ramblings for PO.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

If the pilot's good, see, I mean if he's reeeally sharp, he can barrel that baby in so low... oh you oughta see it sometime. It's a sight. A big plane like a '52... varrrooom! Its jet exhaust... frying chickens in the barnyard!

/obscure?
  • Reply 5 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Splinemodel View Post

Save the armchair-politician ramblings for PO.

Sorry, but when I am shown photos of tons of bombers, an initial post about the cold war and military reduction, maintaining of plane numbers, the hint of needing to bomb Muslims, then I think of politics, because it is the politicians who build these things whether we truly need them or not. It was already politically charged.

That said, the 52 is an amazing machine. It has to be one of the oldest planes still in active duty, which says a great deal for its initial design. There have been many upgrades, but if the initial design hadn't been right, the program would have been canceled years ago like so many other planes of war. It is interesting that a carpet-bomber was outdone by precision bombers only to continue as a launch platform for cruise missiles.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    These threads remind me of a couple years ago when email spam filters were just becoming popular. While we deployed a new spam-filtering email client in our organization, one staff member, who has been the victim of a series of scams over the years, whined and complained about the new junk folder because, as she put it, "But I like getting spam!"
  • Reply 7 of 21
    Quote:

...That said, the 52 is an amazing machine. It has to be one of the oldest planes still in active duty...

It IS. So what's the difference between a Buff and a Tomcat ? The B-52 is an active duty war-fighting machine, while the F-14 is a museum piece!

Quote:

...It is interesting that a carpet-bomber was outdone by precision bombers only to continue as a launch platform for cruise missiles.

It's also a launch platform for precision guided bombs. Take your standard 500# "dumb" bomb and strap GPS guided servo fins on it for a couple hundred $ and you are now able to drop them from a B-52 in relative safety at 35000 feet and each one of them autonomously hits a designated window in different buildings.

I'm glad this guy's got time to sift through intrepidearth and find all the interesting stuff for us ... I can save my valuble time for commenting on his posts.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    This has got to end... Can we please ban this spammer?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Aye, agreed.
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

It IS. So what's the difference between a Buff and a Tomcat ? The B-52 is an active duty war-fighting machine, while the F-14 is a museum piece!

It's also a launch platform for precision guided bombs. Take your standard 500# "dumb" bomb and strap GPS guided servo fins on it for a couple hundred $ and you are now able to drop them from a B-52 in relative safety at 35000 feet and each one of them autonomously hits a designated window in different buildings.

I'm glad this guy's got time to sift through intrepidearth and find all the interesting stuff for us ... I can save my valuble time for commenting on his posts.

he IS intrepid earth...
  • Reply 11 of 21
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

That said, the 52 is an amazing machine. It has to be one of the oldest planes still in active duty, which says a great deal for its initial design. There have been many upgrades, but if the initial design hadn't been right, the program would have been canceled years ago like so many other planes of war. It is interesting that a carpet-bomber was outdone by precision bombers only to continue as a launch platform for cruise missiles.

I know this thread's life is limited, but I had to comment on that. I saw a History Channel show once about the development of the B-52. According to the show the Boeing team went to the Air Force officer to propose the plane on a Friday, he didn't like the design and gave them until Monday to come up with something else. The three guys from Boeing spent the next 48 hours re-designing the aircraft and writing a new proposal, even sculpting a new model out of balsa wood they bought at a hobby store. And here we are 50+ years later and the plane is still in front line service!
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hardeeharhar View Post

This has got to end... Can we please ban this spammer?

You know... you don't HAVE to even look at his posts... he kindly keeps them in their own threads.

I find they make a nice diversion sometimes.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    He was asked to put them in one thread.

He didn't.

He is profiting from your clicks.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

You know... you don't HAVE to even look at his posts... he kindly keeps them in their own threads.

I find they make a nice diversion sometimes.

And maybe you love getting v14gra or p3nis en|-|4nce|\\/|ent spam, too, but it's still spam. He's spamming all of these forums both to get traffic and boost his site's pagerank.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    Quote:

He was asked to put them in one thread.

He didn't.

He is profiting from your clicks.

Correct, I did warn him and he is now banned.

Don't fuck with me, this week.

Grumble.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    G'Bye Mort!

Score one for Google Maps!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Bombs away!

You won't be missed.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by segovius View Post

Cold War may be ended but there's a lot of Muslims about these days - best keep those Tank-Busters primed......

what, so they can kill british troops, there so called 'allies'...

and before you say anything about accidents, think about this, when have you ever heard of an american being killed by british fire?
  • Reply 19 of 21
    When have you heard of the British army doing anything?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

...He is profiting from your clicks.

I was unaware.