So Whos holding out for NEW hardware?

1356711

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 201
    Add me to that list for Leopard, a new styled I Mac, new notebook, I pod and I phone as they come out. I am sure there will be a new I Mac with Leopard. Money is burning a hole in my pocket. Have store in Pasadena, CA and it is all I can do to wait. This will be my first Mac experience........ \
  • Reply 42 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post


    I'm waiting, not sure what Mac I'm waiting for though, apart from Leopard. I have a G4 quicksilver, over 5 years old, and a Dell 2407 that i bought last year. I've been looking at the Mac range and honestly can't think what my next Mac would be. The mini at the moment is looking like a poor option with not having a Core 2 processor, it makes the 1.83 MacBook look brilliant for its price. I'd take an iMac if I didn't have a great big screen already, and the Mac Pro is way expensive for me. But the range will probably be completely different by the time summer comes, hardware (Santa Rosa looks like a big step, there may even be a lower priced quad core mac (iMac or tower) but who knows!)



    Go for a nice cheap 17" iMac and dual screen it!!!



    I think my TiBook needs to retire so a new MB / MBP / MBN for me once Leopard and iLife 07 are out.
  • Reply 43 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macowaco View Post


    This will be my first Mac experience........ \





    And the first think to learn is that the i are lower case <grin> otherwise everyone knows your new to this game! ;-)
  • Reply 44 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post


    Yup, holding out for a new 15" MacBook Pro with Santa Rosa and LED backlight, shipping with Leopard. ETA: May. Expected features:



    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2.2GHz low end model, too)

    1440 x 900 pixels

    2GB memory

    160GB hard drive

    8x double-layer SuperDrive (Blu-ray option?)

    ATI Mobility Radeon X1900 graphics with 256MB SDRAM (maybe 1800?)



    Apple would have to add half an inch in thickness to cool the x1900.
  • Reply 45 of 201
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post


    Apple would have to add half an inch in thickness to cool the x1900.



    Oh, I was afraid of that. Hmm, now that I think about it, the X1700 has PowerPlay so it'd probably be a much better candidate. I'm amending my wish list accordingly:



    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2.2GHz low end model, too)

    4MB L2 cache

    800MHz FSB (Santa Rosa)

    1GB flash (Robson)

    1440 x 900 pixel 15.4" display with LED backlight

    2GB memory

    160GB hard drive, 5400 rpm

    8x double-layer SuperDrive (Blu-ray option?)

    ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 graphics with 256MB SDRAM

    AirPort Extreme 802.11b/g/n plus Bluetooth 2.0



    Ships with Leopard in May (I hope). Maybe a new case design.
  • Reply 46 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post


    Oh, I was afraid of that. Hmm, now that I think about it, the X1700 has PowerPlay so it'd probably be a much better candidate. I'm amending my wish list accordingly:



    2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (2.2GHz low end model, too)

    4MB L2 cache

    800MHz FSB (Santa Rosa)

    1MB flash (Robson)

    1440 x 900 pixel 15.4" display with LED backlight

    2GB memory

    160GB hard drive, 5400 rpm

    8x double-layer SuperDrive (Blu-ray option?)

    ATI Mobility Radeon X1700 graphics with 256MB SDRAM

    AirPort Extreme 802.11b/g/n plus Bluetooth 2.0



    Ships with Leopard in May (I hope). Maybe a new case design.



    This is the MBP I've been waiting for. I'm ready to make the big switch.



    Just Hope it ships in June the latest.
  • Reply 47 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rageous View Post


    *sigh



    Every new product has it's bugs. If you're really concerned about not getting a buggy coputer, buy one now. It's not like the current lineup is going to be useless anytime soon. And OS upgrades are cheap.



    What's the point of suffering with a crap computer you hate when there's perfectly good ones available right now?



    It's sounding like the upgrade to hardware might have some cool new things that are Leopard specific and in general make me glad I waited. If not, I'll try purchasing a current generation computer from the Outlet. My current computer isn't too bad, it's more my impatience and excitement about something new. If I really needed a new computer, I wouldn't hesitate. I just hate to wait till the new ones come out, get excited about cool new features, then wait again if there's a bunch of lemons.
  • Reply 48 of 201
    Excuse my ignorance of being a noob, but when exactly would apple be releasing/announcing the new hardware or updates? Just trying to get a timeframe so I know when to stop buying others toys and start saving up, any help on this is appreciated.
  • Reply 49 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kman79 View Post


    Excuse my ignorance of being a noob, but when exactly would apple be releasing/announcing the new hardware or updates? Just trying to get a timeframe so I know when to stop buying others toys and start saving up, any help on this is appreciated.



    could be any time really some of us (probably a fairly large few!) have been waiting for new hardware since Jan... and were expecting at LEAST new software, in the form of iLife and iWork in Jan as well...



    its due!



    but then no-one is sure if Leopard will "Require" new hardware to run as in "multi touch" et al.



    if we dont see "something" by June, i will be VERY surpised... and i dare say i wouldnt be alone.
  • Reply 50 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by looksthatkill View Post


    new cinema displays please!! 24 incher!



    Exactly.



    30" Cinema Display with HDMI/HDCP please. An iSight would be nice but is not necessary.



    If you don't update them soon, Apple, I'll buy the Dell. (Shudder.)
  • Reply 51 of 201
    Yep, I'm holding out. Waiting for Leopard.
  • Reply 52 of 201
    hobbithobbit Posts: 532member
    Seeing reports that the new Merom and Santa Rosa chipset won't ship until May, and taking into account the last time when the core 2 duos arrived it took Apple some extra 2-3 months before it introduced machines using the new chips, we can bet that it will likely be June, July or even August until new machines show up.



    With the Mac Pro and servers the only ones not using that chipset it is possible that they could be introduced sooner, like in April (NAB?).



    Is anyone who's holding out really wanting to wait until April and June/July respectively (that's another 4 months!) for new machines?



    Or is anyone actually believing that e.g. HD MacBook Pros (using true 1920x1200 resolution, and scaling the tiny fonts with resolution independence) will be introduced at NAB with a May ship date? I wouldn't bet on it...



    Seeing all these long delays with the chipset, I guess Apple is in no hurry to release Leopard either as most people would want to wait to upgrade their hardware at the same time.



    Seems like not much is going to happen this quarter and it'll likely be end of next quarter before anything really starts happening...
  • Reply 53 of 201
  • Reply 54 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post


    Seeing reports that the new Merom and Santa Rosa chipset won't ship until May, and taking into account the last time when the core 2 duos arrived it took Apple some extra 2-3 months before it introduced machines using the new chips, we can bet that it will likely be June, July or even August until new machines show up.



    With the Mac Pro and servers the only ones not using that chipset it is possible that they could be introduced sooner, like in April (NAB?).



    Is anyone who's holding out really wanting to wait until April and June/July respectively (that's another 4 months!) for new machines?



    Or is anyone actually believing that e.g. HD MacBook Pros (using true 1920x1200 resolution, and scaling the tiny fonts with resolution independence) will be introduced at NAB with a May ship date? I wouldn't bet on it...



    Seeing all these long delays with the chipset, I guess Apple is in no hurry to release Leopard either as most people would want to wait to upgrade their hardware at the same time.



    Seems like not much is going to happen this quarter and it'll likely be end of next quarter before anything really starts happening...



  • Reply 55 of 201
    gfeiergfeier Posts: 127member
    I'm sure glad I bought my Mac Pro with the X1900 XT when it first came out (never thought it would take so long for the next model), but I'll be in the market for a new display when they ship. I bought the 20" with the idea of relegating it to second monitor status. Hopefully, the next generation of displays will have new features - and lower prices.
  • Reply 56 of 201
    royboyroyboy Posts: 452member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gfeier View Post


    I'm sure glad I bought my Mac Pro with the X1900 XT when it first came out (never thought it would take so long for the next model), but I'll be in the market for a new display when they ship. I bought the 20" with the idea of relegating it to second monitor status. Hopefully, the next generation of displays will have new features - and lower prices.



    gfeier,



    Since you bought the Mac Pro with the optional X1900 XT, and not the Mac Pro with standard card, you might not be able to compare any differences, but I hear conflicting reports on the heat issue with the X1900 XT: generates more heat and thus more fan noise and thus higher sound level than the standard carded Mac Pro. Any thoughts on my question.







    Holding out for rev. B on Mac Pro and Leopard. Hopefully new displays will be out also. Would love a smaller Mac Pro tower so I wouldn't have to reconfigure again my custom cabinet I originally had made for a G3 tower.
  • Reply 57 of 201
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm expecting the new MBP around the end of May or into early June but no later than that. The new MB would be around mid-June.



    Since the iMac would also use Santa Rosa, I'd expect to see that first, say around May 22, ± 1 week.



    BTW, I changed my MBP specs to include 1GB of flash, not 1MB.
  • Reply 58 of 201
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trendannoyer View Post


    you looking for new hardware and/or Leopard BEFORE you buy something?

    does it feel so close that you want to hold off?

    but you STILL wanna buy something NOW



    Personally I'm waiting for at LEAST a mini update, but on the off chance the Mac Pro gets a major update, then who knows.



    im also watching out for a new widescreen iPod and or iPhone.



    all this and a PS3 at some point (they aint out in the UK yet) its looking like an expensive year.



    I'm waiting for Leopard and a Macbook Pro update. I also hope that the new MBP's have a higher resolution (smaller pixels) and a better video card.



    I've sold some stock so I got the money. I'll be going from a 450 MHz single processor G4 with a radeon 8500 to a dual core machine that can run windows. Can't wait...



    - Mark
  • Reply 59 of 201
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post


    I'm waiting for Leopard and a Macbook Pro update. I also hope that the new MBP's have a higher resolution (smaller pixels) and a better video card.



    I've sold some stock so I got the money. I'll be going from a 450 MHz single processor G4 with a radeon 8500 to a dual core machine that can run windows. Can't wait...



    - Mark



    Goodness, by the time the new MBP comes out, about 3 months from now, your stock might be worth more than what you sold it at, unless maybe you sold above 95. Sure, the stock could well go lower over the next few weeks but by the time the MBP comes out, it should be back in the mid-90s. I'm expecting about 150 next January.



    Santa Rosa won't be officially announced and ship in quantity until May but PC makers already have what they need to revise their offerings. Companies like Apple should be ready to go into full production right away and be ready to ship the first units, presumably the iMacs, by May 22 (± 1 week).
  • Reply 60 of 201
    Am I holding out for new hardware?



    Yeah.



    I want a new laptop, but the one I have will do until August when I start Graduate School. I would buy one now, but to honest, most of the stuff out now for laptops isn't all that new as far as technology goes. "New" meaning having come out in the last six months or so. I mean, I almost bought a Dell M1210 back in October, and that's STILL the only computer on the market that meets my criteria, and nothing about it has changed since October.



    I'd rather wait until the next new wave of things comes out. I'd feel better that way.



    What do I want in a laptop? Well, ideally I'd like something like the Dell M1210. Basically it's the equivalent of the oft-rumored 12" Macbook Pro. It has a Core 2 Duo processor, discrete graphics, up to 4 GB of RAM, and oodles of ports. I'm holding off in the hopes that Apple might release something like that. The screen on the Dell is ruddy awful though, and impossible to see anywhere but in a dark room, so I won't be getting one of those.



    Secondly, if I can't get a 12" or less laptop with discrete graphics (and they're rare!), then I'd want an ultraportable. Something more along the lines of the Sony TX series with great battery life. This is something else that Apple doesn't offer, and something I'm hoping to see if the 12" MBP doesn't make an appearence. I think there have been recent rumors about this as well.



    So, yeah, I'm waiting. There's to be some processor upgrades this year from Intel, Santa Rosa and Penryn, and I'm hoping to see some more options appear when those become available. I'll wait until WWDC to look seriously again, but if Apple doesn't have any offerings by then I'll start checking out PCs again.



    Cheers,

    CT
Sign In or Register to comment.