Quark Express 5.0

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Well it looks like it's going to be ready to ship in the next couple of weeks <a href="http://www.creativemac.com"; target="_blank">- here -</a> I think they are making a mistake by not having a carbonised version ready. InDesign 2.0 looks really nice.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    sinewavesinewave Posts: 1,074member
    Yup Quark is making a BIG mistake. I mean 4.0 came out HOW many years ago? I remember paginating classifieds in it over 2 years ago. I don't know why Quark is standard.. it's crap. And they give two shits about their customers.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Down here in Australia our biggest publishing company (magazines, newspapers etc) just swapped the entire company over to InDesign. Quark as it stands now is going to lose the battle. As soon as pre-press shops sort out their rips and workflow Quark will be gone. Not only will InDesign trump it for features, but It's about half the price down here.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    It was in the poorly handled transition from 3.X.X to 4 where the rot set in for Quark (I know afew repro shops who never upgraded). But a lot a people got burned with InDesign v1 (it was suposed to be this amazing QX Killer, it wasn't). If ID 2 is more stable, works semlessly with other Adobe tec (PostScript, Photoshop, PDF, etc) & comes in at a more realistic price, it should beat QX with a stick.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    x704x704 Posts: 276member
    super : Just an FYI, it's Quark Xpress (not "Express").

The fact that it's not carbonized is very dissappointing & I think it will leave the door open for more people to switch to Indesign. Unless Quark lowers it's prices I think in the long run it'll loose to Indesign. That will take time though (years). I can forsee 4 years down the line Quark vs. Indesign usage being around the same 50/50. At some point I guess I'll have to learn Indesign (should be easy since it's shares common Adobe traits).