My LaCie HD won't mount

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hi All,

I have an LaCie Porsche 250GB External HD with FireWire cable that I have stored some valuable data on, and for some reason it won't mount on my Mac anymore. I have tried running Disc Utility to repair premissions and swtiched the FireWire cables but to no avail. The little light in the front lights up light yellow, but nothing else happens. I have heard that it can be very costly to send a drive to a data recovering service so I would like to find my own solution. I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks so much,

Patrick

[email protected]

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    you could try data rescue 1.1.1 or filesalvage 5.1 which both can recover data these may also see the drive.

Also have you tried running disk warrior 4 or TechTool Pro 4.5.2 to see if they can see the drive they can also repair any sirectory problems there maybe which sometimes don't show in disk utility.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KillerSmile View Post

Hi All,

I have an LaCie Porsche 250GB External HD with FireWire cable that I have stored some valuable data on, and for some reason it won't mount on my Mac anymore. I have tried running Disc Utility to repair premissions and swtiched the FireWire cables but to no avail. The little light in the front lights up light yellow, but nothing else happens. I have heard that it can be very costly to send a drive to a data recovering service so I would like to find my own solution. I really would appreciate any help.

Thanks so much,

Patrick

[email protected]

If all drive recovery/utility approaches fail - the problem could be the firewire connection to the bridgeboard inside the case. This seems to be a fairly common flaw with LaCie enclosures. You should be able to remove the hard drive and mount it in an empty drive slot either in another external case or internally. Worked when I had the same problem, files should all be there.