Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Inc. will use Sunday's Academy Awards show to air its first television advertisement for the iPhone, according to Macworld.

The spot is described as a "teaser advertisement" that was created specifically for the awards show. However, no further details were reported.

The Academy Awards, popularly known as the Oscars, is the most prominent and most watched film awards ceremony in the world, drawing 38.59 million viewers from 26.57 million households in 2006.

The 79th Academy Awards telecast will air on ABC this Sunday at 8 p.m. Eastern.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 112
    In which of the four and a half hours of the Oscar telecast should we be expecting this commercial?

• Reply 2 of 112
    Dont worry. We will get a link here in the next 24 hours.

If Apple is truly starting to promote a product that won't be out for another 3 months, it shows that they plan on selling millions right off the bat.
  • Reply 3 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    I guess I just don't understand advertising. It seems more logical to me to advertise AppleTV, which will be shipping later this week.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple Insider

The Academy Awards, popularly known as the Oscars

Finally a article that mentions that the award show is actually called the Academy Awards. My faith in AI is restored.
  • Reply 4 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimplemonkey View Post

In which of the four and a half hours of the Oscar telecast should we be expecting this commercial?

before the same usual gaggle of miscreant's begin to spew their tripe of political statements and the Oscars loose close to half their audience!
  • Reply 5 of 112
    josa92josa92 Posts: 193member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

before the same usual gaggle of miscreant's begin to spew their tripe of political statements and the Oscars loose close to half their audience!

are we somehow referring to the dixie chicks?

or just political madness in general

(are the chicks nominated for something?)
  • Reply 6 of 112
    It seems a little pointless to me to show just a teaser when Steve spent 2 hours going over all the features at Macworld.
  • Reply 7 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

It seems a little pointless to me to show just a teaser when Steve spent 2 hours going over all the features at Macworld.

For us, yes; but most people didn't watch the keynote or check out its features on apple.com/iphone.

It still makes more sense to me to advertise the AppleTV at the Academy Awards.
  • Reply 8 of 112
    Popularly known as the Oscars?

Thanks, I had no idea what you were talking about.
  • Reply 9 of 112
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    Apple TV is surely more connected to the movie industry, agreed. But a commercial of the iPhone is gonna be more powerful. It's cool, groundbreaking and easy to present. The Apple TV is not, it's just convenient.
  • Reply 10 of 112
    i wonder if its the same comercial they played at the super bowl
  • Reply 11 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Yeah because the people who watch the Oscars are the same audience who've viewed the Keynote. Apple needs to sell a whole load of iPhones to non-MacZealots.
  • Reply 12 of 112
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrtotes View Post

Yeah because the people who watch the Oscars are the same audience who've viewed the Keynote. Apple needs to sell a whole load of iPhones to non-MacZealots.

I agree with bdkennedy. Most people heard about the iPhone after Jobs' keynote, whether they watched the actual keynote or not, due to press coverage. And I don't get advertising it so long before people can buy it. But I guess if you've got 10 billion in cash to burn, who cares?
  • Reply 13 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by josa92 View Post

are we somehow referring to the dixie chicks?

or just political madness in general

(are the chicks nominated for something?)

If you are there to receive an award and your name is called out, receive it, give thanks and move on... but to state any views other that that, is what turns some people off. Fortunately, those at home watching on their tv's are NOT a captive audience and simply can turn the channel.

But I mean, you wouldn't want Steve Ballmer or Bill Gates to introduce the Universal version of MS Office for the Mac at MacWorld and then go on to tout Window's "Vista" as the best OS to date. You'd have a riot at the Moscone Center...

You wouldn't tout the benefits of an aggrarian economic lifestyle that can only prosper with the use of slaves at a NAACP convention...

You wouldn't sell Adolf Hitler's book "Mein Kemp" at a Holocaust Museum bookstore...

I mean, there just are some things, if you had any sense, you just wouldn't do. It's not, I hate to say it, PC!

I mean, you wouldn't vote a highly qualified new commander who wrote the book on insurgencies to head the forces in Iraq and then tell him his plan sucks and the troop increase this new commander requested is meeting with every road block politically possible, but the politicians wish him all the best in his new assignment and er, oh wait, the newly elected democratic party majority, did just that. Scratch that AND "Here's your sign!"
  • Reply 14 of 112
    Well, what did everyone think?
  • Reply 15 of 112
    Wow I can see this information sponsered by the Oscars to get the geek group watching the Oscars
  • Reply 16 of 112
    The ad just aired about 2 seconds ago

"hello"

what do you guys think?

new style
  • Reply 17 of 112
    I just saw it!!!!!!

Pretty pathetic.
  • Reply 18 of 112
    Hello
  • Reply 19 of 112
    "hi im an iphone"

"and im a sony ericsson"

• Reply 20 of 112
    Just saw the ad. Basically clips from several movies of people saying "hello" on their telephone. Then says "Hello" shows the iphone then says "coming in June". Definitely an ad that will only be shown during the Awards.