Official "future physical changes" thread

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Threads for things you want or think will exist in the future of apple computers

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    I would like to see Apple produce "Increased Connectivity" Cards. I need an inordinate amount of USB connections so maybe they could make a PCI card with 6 USB jacks on it. Yes, there are third party cards but they never seem to work when a new OS is released. Thre could be a Firewire version as well. It ain't gonna happen but I can dream right?
  • Reply 2 of 55
    Things that I would like to see -

USB 2 Keyboard hub ports.

Laptops with screens that hinge back more than they do now.

Make more of the Mac mini as a HTPC / media mac. When it was released I imagined there being lots of add ons as 'slices' which would add functionality to the computer, all we've really got are hard drives, hubs and blue glowing bases. So if you want, you can have a kind of stacked Mac system, with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray drive, digital TV receiver (there is a Mac mini style Miglia TVMax box, but its analogue), card reader, iPod dock etc stacked with it, kind of like Hi-fi separates.
  • Reply 3 of 55
    i'd like to see a dedicated memory card in the macbooks, and a black version of the macbook pro, and different colors for the backlight on the keyboards.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Things that I would like to see -

Laptops with screens that hinge back more than they do now.

YES!!!! I remember I went into an Apple store for the first time in a few years to see the MacBook Pros and was pissed off when they couldn't hinge back enough for my height (i'm not too tall either) for me to see them without the black that you seem to get when you change your viewing angle too much. I ended up stooping down and looking pretty stupid in the process. \
  • Reply 5 of 55
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Different enclosure material for MBPs. The aluminum dents too easily.
  • Reply 6 of 55
    Optimus Keyboard like tech?
  • Reply 7 of 55
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I second more USB ports in general. Yea, the keyboard should have USB2, but it would also be great if I never run into "This device is drawing too much power" problems. For a desktop computer (Including iMac) 2 USB2 ports doesn't cut it. At least for me. I love the front ports on my G5, but could use another 4-6 in the back. (I know about hubs. I shouldn't have to daisy-chain 4 hubs together to get the ports I need) My Bro's laptop had 10 USB. Yea! you heard right. If I saw that on a Mac Pro, I would think "expandability" before "overkill".

Instead of erasing that 'ol rant, how about Apple employ that wireless USB protocol. That would solve everything except power use.
  • Reply 8 of 55
    Internal EVDO cards!
  • Reply 9 of 55
    slewisslewis Posts: 2,081member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rich-Myster View Post

i'd like to see a dedicated memory card in the macbooks, and a black version of the macbook pro, and different colors for the backlight on the keyboards.

I still don't see the point of Memory Cards in any Mac. Plug your iPod, your Camera, or your Video Camera in and it opens the appropriate application.

Sebastian
  • Reply 10 of 55
    Quote:

eeeeeeeeexcellent.......*turns on superbrite(tm) psychedelic backlight*.
  • Reply 11 of 55
    onlookeronlooker Posts: 5,252member
    ? Mac OS able to use EFI, or BIOS video cards in Mac Pro's.

? Upgradable graphics options in MacBook Pro's, and iMacs.

?*Apple to buy Tivo, or EyeTV (preferably Tivo) for iTV integration in the future.

? Apple Tablet computer.

?*Dreaming that this is an Apple leak of an early prototype of unrefind Leopard desktop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0ODskdEPnQ = BumpTop 1.0

?All New case designs for 2007.
  • Reply 12 of 55
    Nice link Onlooker. I found the new user interface cool but I'm not sure it's a better tool for organization than what currently exists.
  • Reply 13 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Nice link Onlooker. I found the new user interface cool but I'm not sure it's a better tool for organization than what currently exists.

I was hoping that it was an early (like years ago) unrefined proposal, or prototype demonstration.

What it needs from there is:

? #1 it wouldn't be on 24/7

? Snap to grid, or snap to desktop. (so those folders don't fall all over the place when they are not in piles.)

? As options, instead of just piles it should add the use of folders, and the optional, File-Cabinet. That way you can organize subjects, or similar items into the folders, or groups of folders into File-Cabinets based on what your working on. So you can have a File-Cabinet with different drawers that include what you determine them as. Like a simple one could be organized with sorted individual cabinet drawers that include one with images, another with documents, PDF's, etc. etc. etc. It would be determined by the user on what to put in what drawer, or cabinet, and it could be far more complicated than that if you chose. You could use dates, or whatever.
  • Reply 14 of 55
    File cabinet, excellent idea. I'm surprised they didn't think of that.
  • Reply 15 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

File cabinet, excellent idea. I'm surprised they didn't think of that.

Apple would have.
  • Reply 16 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slewis View Post

I still don't see the point of Memory Cards in any Mac. Plug your iPod, your Camera, or your Video Camera in and it opens the appropriate application.

Sebastian

my bad i meant video card
  • Reply 17 of 55
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

Are you planning to buy both?

I don't expect something better than a X3000 GMA in the MacBook, Mac mini and cheapest iMac.
  • Reply 18 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gar View Post

Are you planning to buy both?

I don't expect something better than a X3000 GMA in the MacBook, Mac mini and cheapest iMac.

Put a ATI hypermemory or a Nvidia TurboCache card in them and add pci-e slots to the mini
  • Reply 19 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

Put a ATI hypermemory or a Nvidia TurboCache card in them and add pci-e slots to the mini

You can barely fit the mini inside the case of the mini. PCI-E slots are you out of your mind!?! That would totally ramp up the cost and completely defeat the purpose of the low cost mini.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by onlooker View Post

You can barely fit the mini inside the case of the mini. PCI-E slots are you out of your mind!?! That would totally ramp up the cost and completely defeat the purpose of the low cost mini.

Yeah, I think Joe doesn't quite get what the mini is and what it's intended purpose is ( hint; it's not gaming). X3000 Intel IG and core 2 processors and the mini will be a nice little machine.