A perfect example of why Apple will rule in the cellphone world:

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I own a Nokia 23.10, I put that decimal point in there so you guys may know how to pronounce it correctly . I wanted a simple cheap phone. One with no frills, which is why I bought this, and which I want from Apple too. Sure the iPhone is great, but I currently couldn't afford it, and to be honest I personally just want a music playing, texting phone. It doesn't take a genius to work out that Apple will bring out a more basic iPhone for teens and people like me when things with the iPhone begin to cool down. Just like they made the iPod first and then later added the mini and the shuffle. Let's call such a more basic Apple phone 'iPhone junior', I like that name.

Now onto what really brought me write this thread. You can set 'Reminders' on this phone. You know messages that you set a time for, and when that time arrives an alarm goes off and the message you set appears on the phone's screen. It's reasonably straight forward, albeit probably initially not as intuitive as Apple would have done it, but you get used to it. The problem arises however when the alarm for the reminder goes off, and you look at the screen. Sure, the actual reminder part works, in that you got the message, but firstly half of one of the only two options you have isn't there. The onscreen word is "Postp.", which I figured out was postpone. Apple simply wouldn't ever do this. The real problem however is the fact that there is only two options when the alarm goes off, one is "Postp.", the other "Quit". If I press 'Postp.' the phone displays a message "Alarm postponed for 10 min" and brings me back to the main screen, which obviously means the alarm will go off again in 10 minutes time. If I press 'Quit' the phone displays the message "Reminder discarded" and brings me back to the main screen. However even though that message clearly displays the word 'discarded', the reminder is not discarded, the reminder is still on the phone. I don't like that, and I think in general people who own this phone don't like it either. They want the reminder to be gone, the want to forget about it, they want to discard it. If a message reads "Reminder discarded", that reminder should be discarded.

Even the company that makes the best non-Smartphones - Nokia (can't vouch for Smartphones, never owned one, I'm European after all) can't get a simple thing like this right. I am certian as a Mac user, Apple wouldn't implement this reminder application in this way - even if they used this exact Nokia phone and just change the software to theirs. Sometimes it occurs to me it's the simple things that matter the most, but that's probably because it's usually the simple things that we encounter most. Simple things tend to be repetitive things, and if they are done wrongly they really can begin to annoy, especially if one is usually used to technology being naturally intuitive. I firmly believe Nokia is the most popular brand cellphone because they are the easiest to use - and using that theory it occurs to me that in time Apple might very well take that position and become the most popular brand cellphone instead. When (not if) Apple makes their own televisions, they'll be officially crowned the new Sony, but one day in the not too distant future they may also be crowned the new Nokia too.

(I probably should have put this thread in the General Discussions forum, move it mods if you see fit.)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    This probably won't be exactly what you want, but you can set your Nokia to auto-delete old reminders: go to

Menu > Calendar > Select > Options > Settings > Auto-delete

You ought to have a few options to delete old Calendar entries. On my 3120, I have the options never, after 1 day, after 1 week, and after 1 month. Your phone's menu system might be a little different since it's a different model from mine, but the option should be there.

Although I agree that Nokia makes the most usable phones, it's obvious from browsing though their menu structure (refer above, for instance) that there is still a lot of improvement that can be made.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Of course you can delete them, that goes without saying, its just that you have to go out of your way to do it. And by the way, this Nokia has no Auto-delete.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Recently lost my nextel phone and switched to cingular. Got a Razor phone which I'll hand off to my wife when the iPhone is available. I'm about to spend all night reading the manual (RTFM) so I can figure out how to use it's features. Why isn't the damn thing more intuitive?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

Recently lost my nextel phone and switched to cingular. Got a Razor phone which I'll hand off to my wife when the iPhone is available. I'm about to spend all night reading the manual (RTFM) so I can figure out how to use it's features. Why isn't the damn thing more intuitive?

Don't talk to me about the Razr, I'm never buying a Moto phone again. I bought my Razr, it froze after 20 mins, they gave me a new one that froze on day two, they gave me another one and it never froze, but it kept droping calls from day one. That's without even mentioning the ridiculous interface. I hate those Razr's.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Moto phones are horribly dysfunctional phones, it's so hard to do anything. There are so many menus to go through before you get anywhere! Ugh.. My friend loves having the sleekest phone, which lately have been Motos, but hate using them..
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Denton View Post

This probably won't be exactly what you want, but you can set your Nokia to auto-delete old reminders: go to

Menu > Calendar > Select > Options > Settings > Auto-delete

You ought to have a few options to delete old Calendar entries. On my 3120, I have the options never, after 1 day, after 1 week, and after 1 month. Your phone's menu system might be a little different since it's a different model from mine, but the option should be there.

Although I agree that Nokia makes the most usable phones, it's obvious from browsing though their menu structure (refer above, for instance) that there is still a lot of improvement that can be made.

Sorry for this question being in this thread, but I found your message using search.

Does the nokia 3120 classic work as a 3G modem using bluetooth on Mac OS 10.4? I need 3G and gprs internet (3.5G is not available anyway here). Also, does it sync with isync?

Thank you in advance for your help.