Briefly: Apple to air iPhone ad during tonight's Oscars

Comments

• Reply 81 of 112
    I don't think that scene is from SEX IN THE CITY, not only does SJP look younger, but she also has a different style, plus it looks like she is in a hotel room. Also the PowerBook is definitely not a G3 - it looks more like a PowerBook 145. -- EDIT: An additional viewing says I could be wrong. It does look like a bedroom too. The only other thing is that the cordless looks dated and older than 1999 (the year SEX premiered).

I believe the Spacey scene is a clip from GLENGARRY GLENROSS.
  • Reply 82 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lawrjl View Post

I don't think that scene is from SEX IN THE CITY, not only does SJP look younger, but she also has a different style, plus it looks like she is in a hotel room. Also the PowerBook is definitely not a G3 - it looks more like a PowerBook 145. -- EDIT: An additional viewing says I could be wrong. It does look like a bedroom too. The only other thing is that the cordless looks dated and older than 1999 (the year SEX premiered).

Watch season one.

Different powerbook, indeed in the first episode SJP has a clunky PC on her desk then she changes to a PB 1** series. Then The G3 later on. I suspect that footage is from Sex.
  • Reply 83 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by trevorM View Post

Watch season one.

Different powerbook, indeed in the first episode SJP has a clunky PC on her desk then she changes to a PB 1** series. Then The G3 later on. I suspect that footage is from Sex.

Thanks. That is why I said I wasn't sure.
  • Reply 84 of 112
    Nice Ad, and nice positioning in the Movie/media world.

- and a great front-page for apple.com

- pity it's not out until June though!

- and I hope they upgrade the camera before it comes out!

• Reply 85 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samurai1999 View Post

- and I hope they upgrade the camera before it comes out!

yeah, im real disappointed that i cant shoot raw with my CELL PHONE
  • Reply 86 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ebrunn View Post

You mean:

"revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email, web browsing, maps, and searching"

• Reply 87 of 112
    Quote:

You mean:

"revolutionary mobile phone, a widescreen iPod with touch controls, and a breakthrough Internet communications device with desktop-class email, web browsing, maps, and searching"

true. But at the end of the day for me its still a cell phone. I dont take alot of pictures on my phone so I dont care about the camera that much. How many mp's were you looking for?
  • Reply 88 of 112
    jrgjrg Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimplemonkey View Post

The initial phone that is seen, I believe is from "Dial 'M' for Murder"

Cameron Diaz

Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle

MacWorld Keynote

Hmmm, actually I think it is from the first Charlies Angel movie, in the tower, the call from the boyfriend.

Sorry .... so sad.
  • Reply 89 of 112
    jrgjrg Posts: 58member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimplemonkey View Post

The initial phone that is seen, I believe is from "Dial 'M' for Murder"

Samuel Jackson

Jackie Brown

Robert Di Niro

(Anybody's Guess!)

MacWorld Keynote

I also think the Samuel Jackson movie is Shaft.

Robert Di Niro movie could easily be Jackie Brown.
  • Reply 90 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JRG View Post

Robert Di Niro movie could easily be Jackie Brown.

I think it's one of those later "nicer guy" ones like the one with Billy Crystal and stuff.

Or Meet The Fockers??
  • Reply 91 of 112
    Quote:

true. But at the end of the day for me its still a cell phone. I dont take alot of pictures on my phone so I dont care about the camera that much. How many mp's were you looking for?

You're right, it probably doesn't make too much difference for the main type of usage this product is aimed at, but if I was Apple, which I'm not(!), I would slip in the latest spec 3.2MP or 5MP Camera module

- if only to keep up with the likes of Nokia, Sony, Samsung etc

- and to save having to defend a preceived weakness

\
  • Reply 92 of 112
    Quote:

You're right, it probably doesn't make too much difference for the main type of usage this product is aimed at, but if I was Apple, which I'm not(!), I would slip in the latest spec 3.2MP or 5MP Camera module

- if only to keep up with the likes of Nokia, Sony, Samsung etc

- and to save having to defend a preceived weakness

\

Defending a perceived weakness? Mac users have been doing that for over a decade. I say bring out the 2MP camera and let iPhone users "defend" it by saying stuff like "Oh but the pictures look more artistic..." or "Sure it's only 2MP but it doesn't have a buffer overflow flaw in it unlike the Nokias and WindowsMobile PDAPhones which get exploited and virus infected if you take a picture of a really bright light..." or" Yeah, but the CCD engine runs on OSX/ AltiVec..." or... Well, y'all get the picture (hah, picture, get it... w9ooooooooooooooooooo
  • Reply 93 of 112
    The song in the background is REALLY annoying.

+ the whoosh-ding at the end.
  • Reply 94 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Defending a perceived weakness? Mac users have been doing that for over a decade. I say bring out the 2MP camera and let iPhone users "defend" it by saying stuff like "Oh but the pictures look more artistic..." or "Sure it's only 2MP but it doesn't have a buffer overflow flaw in it unlike the Nokias and WindowsMobile PDAPhones which get exploited and virus infected if you take a picture of a really bright light..." or" Yeah, but the CCD engine runs on OSX/ AltiVec..." or... Well, y'all get the picture (hah, picture, get it... w9ooooooooooooooooooo

True!

• Reply 95 of 112
    flounderflounder Posts: 2,674member
    Quote:

Anybody know the song in the background?

And who is this "John Appleseed" character?

Is it the trender way to say "John Doe"

edit found the song:

Inside Your Head by Eberg

Nope. Google Johnny Appleseed.
  • Reply 96 of 112
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    Quote:

I won't buy one unless it comes with an excellent GPU. .....
  • Reply 97 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by backtomac View Post

I won't buy one unless it comes with an excellent GPU. .....

Yeah, all those other phones can run UT2007 at like 5 billion frames per second.

WHY DOES APPLE HATE POWERFUL GPUS? WHY OH WHY?
  • Reply 98 of 112
    It did't do it for me. I know they wanted to use famous actors and clips due to it being the award night, but it was annoying. I wonder did they just use the people without permission like they did in the "Here's to the crazy ones..." ad.
  • Reply 99 of 112
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    I thought I heard that there wouldn't be any carrier branding on the phone. But, fwiw, I believe the merger senerio is that Cingular aquired At&t wireless then SBC aquired At&t and decided to assume the At&t name becuase it had better public recognition and then later aquired Cingular.
  • Reply 100 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

I thought I heard that there wouldn't be any carrier branding on the phone.

No branding on the phone/hardware. On screen branding is a different story, as I understand it...