iLife/iWork '07

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Your predictions. Do you think iLife and iWork would come as a bundle with Mac OS X Leopard or separately.

-huynh

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Although practically everyone here will care to disagree with me, I have no doubt in my mind that iLife '07 and iWork '07 will come as part of Leopard. Not only that but they wont be available separately to Leopard, ever. I firmly believe this is the way things will pan out with Leopard because of a number of factors, and I also think Leopard will retail for more than the usual $129, I think it will sell for about $179. I also think the OS will be more radical than most Mac users generally are expecting. I think the Finder will undergo a change of the highest order, incorporating Core Aniamtion in a big way.
  • Reply 2 of 39
    rnprnp Posts: 11member
    Ireland, I hope you're right because that would be almost too good to be true!
  • Reply 3 of 39
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Not to discount the topic at hand but shouldn't this be in Applications and not Future Hardware?

Maybe it's time for two new forums: Future Applications & Current Applications.
  • Reply 4 of 39
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Not to discount the topic at hand but shouldn't this be in Applications and not Future Hardware?

I think that Ireland may be right. The bundle will be all that you require to bring you up to Leopard standards.

This should be in Mac OS but cut him some slack.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    there's certainly a chance. with the extremely high price of vista (certainly in countries other than the US) apple could easily increase the price of the leopard box and bundle in ilife/iwork. after all, new macs already come with ilife so it only makes a difference to those upgrading and if ilife/iwork are decent enough upgrades then there's a chance they would also want those

plus it would make OS X an absolutely killer package!
  • Reply 6 of 39
    My predictions:

They will be separate but bundled with all Macs and available in a bundle with Leopard for like $199.

iLife:

iPhoto: Finder integrated browsing and device import functions. New editing features such as resize by pixel or percentage. More or less things to bring it up to date with other light photo software.

iMovie: evolutionary changes.

iDVD: Blue-Ray/ HD-DVD support

Garage band: evolutionary changes.

iWeb: ability to add HTML, flash, and shockwave code and other changes to make it actually usable this time around.

iWork

Keynote: evolutionary changes.

Pages: Ability to change between original page layout view and a more traditional word processing view.

Two new consumer level (i.e MS Works, Appleworks) Applications: A spreadsheet app and a light duty database based on filemaker underpinnings. The last thing functions missing from Appleworks.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    hobbeshobbes Posts: 1,252member
    I could see iLife possibly being bundled with Leopard (now that Vista bundles it's version of iLife), and the price being bumped up to $179 or something.

But I suspect iLife will be sold separately, with some goodies/enhancements for Leopard users.

And no way on iWork. That will not be tied to the OS.

I'd love to see iWork bundled with every new Mac, though.
  • Reply 8 of 39
    I hope they don't raise the price of OS X. It seems fine as it is. I do think that iLife and iWork will be sold separately. Too much revenue there to pass up.

I have great hopes for Keynote. I'd like to see QT VR support. I'd like to see something like iPhoto built into Keynote. It would be great to have all your slides in one big browser. Individual presentations could be built like albums and then exported like books.

I doubt it is coming but wouldn't it be fun to have something like album browser in Keynote? When you have to skip ahead or back a number of slides instead of clicking rapidly through the slides you could smoothly flow ahead or back to the one you want.

The ability to move objects as we saw in Steve's keynote will be much appreciated.

I'd like to see better iPhoto books as well as other hard copy such as playing cards, laminated place mats and such.

Pages could stand some improvement at reading .doc files.

A spread sheet application added to iWork would be much appreciated.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    dave k.dave k. Posts: 1,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Or simply "Future Products..."
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

My predictions:

They will be separate but bundled with all Macs and available in a bundle with Leopard for like $199.

iLife:

iPhoto: Finder integrated browsing and device import functions. New editing features such as resize by pixel or percentage. More or less things to bring it up to date with other light photo software.

iMovie: evolutionary changes.

iDVD: Blue-Ray/ HD-DVD support

Garage band: evolutionary changes.

iWeb: ability to add HTML, flash, and shockwave code and other changes to make it actually usable this time around.

iWork

Keynote: evolutionary changes.

Pages: Ability to change between original page layout view and a more traditional word processing view.

Two new consumer level (i.e MS Works, Appleworks) Applications: A spreadsheet app and a light duty database based on filemaker underpinnings. The last thing functions missing from Appleworks.

id bet on BR support but not HD-DVD...apple is part of the BD association.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    aiolosaiolos Posts: 228member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

there's certainly a chance. with the extremely high price of vista (certainly in countries other than the US) apple could easily increase the price of the leopard box and bundle in ilife/iwork. after all, new macs already come with ilife so it only makes a difference to those upgrading and if ilife/iwork are decent enough upgrades then there's a chance they would also want those

plus it would make OS X an absolutely killer package!

vista is mad expensive

in my college store, for vista ultimate (the version you need to run all the stuff stolen from osx ) the "upgrade" is like 370 and the full is like 498

$498! That's ridiculous, you can BUY a freaking cheap pc for that price and almost a mac mini. That's retarded...at least 179 I could deal with, isn't like the cheapest version of vista? with no aero stuff, lollllllll

Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

can't they use those new drives (i don't know if they exist yet or whatever, but I heard about them) that run either? or at least drivers if you want an external drive.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

My predictions:

I'd really like to see ODF support, maybe even with the option to set it as the default format. Interoperability is good.

Quote:

It would be cool if it had some kind of basic DB function that I could use to manage citations in Pages. It drives me nuts that nobody so far has created a word processor that handles citations/bibliographies easily and efficiently. I've tried EndNote, but it's so loaded down with superfluous features (from my perspective) that it has become too cumbersome to use. I think that, with Pages, Apple has done a pretty good job of getting the essential elements of features from other, much more complicated applications (e.g. Word) and making them much more usable, and I think that a good citation management feature could make Pages very popular among students.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Although practically everyone here will care to disagree with me, I have no doubt in my mind that iLife '07 and iWork '07 will come as part of Leopard. Not only that but they wont be available separately to Leopard, ever. I firmly believe this is the way things will pan out with Leopard because of a number of factors, and I also think Leopard will retail for more than the usual $129, I think it will sell for about $179. I also think the OS will be more radical than most Mac users generally are expecting. I think the Finder will undergo a change of the highest order, incorporating Core Aniamtion in a big way.

I really hope you're right. However I don't think iWork will be part of the bundle. I do think that iLife 07 will be Leopard only and not backwards compatible with Tiger due to added core animation effects and other Leopard specific functionality. I think that Finder needs a complete revamp too. It just isn't powerful enough any more. In fact, it's not even as good as Windows Explorer in my opinion. I think Apple have the capacity to have a massive effect on the Windows community if they pull some great new features out of the bag. I really hope Leopard is more than just a bit of an update. Time Machine and Spaces won't be enough to persuade Windows users who have been impressed by Windows new flavour.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shady104 View Post

Apple is a member of the DVD Forum and supports HD DVD already at a rudimentary level in DVD Studio 4. Apple joined the Blu-ray disc Board of Directors to inside access to Blu-ray tech. This makes sense because Apple makes authoring and editing softeware for video production. Just a couple of months ago Apple reiterated that they support both formats on Maccentral. Just helping you not lose some bets bro
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

I really hope you're right. However I don't think iWork will be part of the bundle. I do think that iLife 07 will be Leopard only and not backwards compatible with Tiger due to added core animation effects and other Leopard specific functionality. I think that Finder needs a complete revamp too. It just isn't powerful enough any more. In fact, it's not even as good as Windows Explorer in my opinion. I think Apple have the capacity to have a massive effect on the Windows community if they pull some great new features out of the bag. I really hope Leopard is more than just a bit of an update. Time Machine and Spaces won't be enough to persuade Windows users who have been impressed by Windows new flavour.

Apple could bundle iWork to Leopard if they wish to take a fast track to growing the iWork install base. I doubt that they will because that's leaving too much revenue on the table. Ilife 07 will not be Leopard only. OS X is architected in such a manner that support multiple OS is fairly easy and everying you need is encapsulated in packages. If an application is installed on Tiger it uses all the features that Tiger offers. If you install it on a Leopard OS you may gain some of the new core functionality if they've be programmed in the application.

The Finder is rumored is to be fixed but quite honestly I don't expect anything ground breaking. Paradigms like the Finder and Explorer in Windows put the onus on the user to manage their directory structure in an efficient manner. They were good for small hard drives but begin to fail once you begin to fill up Terabytes of space. I think we'll see a revamped UI on the finder and more features but honestly I see Apple working the Spotlight angle and adding more extensible metadata for searching your OS for the data you need.

Apple doesn't need to persuade windows users to switch. They are branching out in new and important areas (AppleTV and iPhone) the iPod/iTunes combo is still bringing in profits that make MS green with envy. Vista is XP+ they gutted many of the features that would have truly made Vista special (WinFS for one).
  • Reply 16 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

Apple doesn't need to persuade windows users to switch. They are branching out in new and important areas (AppleTV and iPhone) the iPod/iTunes combo is still bringing in profits that make MS green with envy.

Oh indeed they do. The iPod brought Apple back on track and out of the school librarians office. Apple are still all about building computers. Yes I know that are now Apple Inc. rather than Apple Computer Inc. so they can expand happily into new territories. But they are trying very hard to convince Windows users to switch, that's what all this Get a Mac stuff is all about. All their advertising recently has been aimed specifically at the Windows user.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpinDrift View Post

It won't be Leopard only. It won't be bundled. There is too much revenue at stake. We certainly won't see the cost increased for Leopard...not by the amounts they'd have to raise it. I guess they could offer a bundled version on top of the standard, but I doubt it. My feeling is that every Mac user, and especially Apple employees, look at M$'s Vista smorgasboard of versions and laugh their asses off.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

It won't be Leopard only. It won't be bundled. There is too much revenue at stake. We certainly won't see the cost increased for Leopard...not by the amounts they'd have to raise it. I guess they could offer a bundled version on top of the standard, but I doubt it. My feeling is that every Mac user, and especially Apple employees, look at M$'s Vista smorgasboard of versions and laugh their asses off.

I think you're right about the revenue but there is a part of me that feels like Apple could easily bundle the two programs with Leopard for a nice price and find success.

I'd gladly pay $199 for Leopard/iWork 07/iLife07.

Perhaps there needs to be two SKU.

Base 10.5 for $129 and the Leopard/07 bundle for $199.

Two SKU keep it simply for consumers.
  • Reply 19 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

I think you're right about the revenue but there is a part of me that feels like Apple could easily bundle the two programs with Leopard for a nice price and find success.

I'd gladly pay $199 for Leopard/iWork 07/iLife07.

Perhaps there needs to be two SKU.

Base 10.5 for $129 and the Leopard/07 bundle for $199.

Two SKU keep it simply for consumers.

Could be. I just don't see it happening, but frankly that's just a hunch based on Apple's past behaviors.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Could be. I just don't see it happening, but frankly that's just a hunch based on Apple's past behaviors.

We're in total agreement here. I think your point and Hobbes' point about iLife already coming with new computers pretty much makes more logical sense. I hope Apple starts bundling iWork with new Macs as well.

I'm going to upgrade all three when they come out regardless.