Apple delays Apple TV launch till mid-March

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Wow. Interesting... big trouble in little AppleTV land?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 135
    oh man! i was looking forward to hooking it up this weekend !!

come on apple, you announce this thing in september! what's the hold up?
  • Reply 2 of 135
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Sucks, I have one on order, I must confess. Muhahahahaha
  • Reply 3 of 135
    Plus the fact that the store is still saying shipping February. Which is a lie.

Wierd, I posted that after Kasper's automated slave, abd yet it appears before it . Huh?
  • Reply 4 of 135
    kasperkasper Posts: 941member, administrator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alex London View Post

Plus the fact that the store is still saying shipping February. Which is a lie.

Wierd, I posted that after Kasper's automated slave, abd yet it appears before it . Huh?

Server issues today

Will be fixed soon.

Best,

K
  • Reply 5 of 135
    kishankishan Posts: 732member
    Maybe its nothing, maybe its something catastrophic. We'll never know what with Apple being such a secretive company. Would it kill them to take the spin off the news and just tell everyone what the hold up is all about? Or maybe they should just quit pre-announcing stuff!
  • Reply 6 of 135
    Nooooooooooo!

I want NOW. Right Now. Not Tomorrow, Next Week or Next Month.

Oh Steve, why do you tease me so?
  • Reply 7 of 135
    Good job Apple. Shipping estimates are another consistent feature for the company.
  • Reply 8 of 135
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Well, I was about to eat crow with Apple not bumping anything on iTunes to 720p but I guess I have a few more days...

Vinea
  • Reply 9 of 135
    Could be they haven't hit goals for AppleTV yet... may need the extra time to get enough orders together...
  • Reply 10 of 135
    I'm hoping they are adding features that weren't announced earlier.

Honestly, I don't see anything on Apple TV that would make this a compelling purchase.

Since it doesn't even come with a CD/DVD drive and is priced way too high, I just can't justify this purchase.
  • Reply 11 of 135
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Who didn't see this coming? Doesn't really matter, unless they miss calendar Q1 altogether, in which cast it'll impact their financials a tad.

• Reply 12 of 135
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Apple conceded Monday it will be forced to delay the release of its Apple TV wireless media hub until the middle of next month.

"Wrapping up Apple TV is taking a few weeks longer than we projected, and we now expect to begin shipments mid-March," Apple spokeswoman Lynn Fox told Reuters in an email.

The comments arrive in stark contrast to those made by the Cupertino-based company earlier in the month, when it denied reports that it would be unable to meet its self-imposed deadline.

Apple had previously said it would ship the $299 device -- made for streaming digital movies, music and photos from computers running iTunes to high-definition TV sets -- during the month of February.

Customers who had placed early orders for Apple TV through the company's online store were promised shipment by February 28 for delivery by March 5th. Apple had yet to provide updated shipment quotes for those customers as of press time.

Update: Early Apple Store online orders for Apple TV have now been adjusted to reflect shipment by March 20th for delivery by March 23rd.

Apple Store online ship estimate prior to delay.

Apple Store online ship estimate following delay.

• Reply 13 of 135
    parkyparky Posts: 383member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by grkorsgard View Post

Good job Apple. Shipping estimates are another consistent feature for the company.

Actually recent past history has been very good, in fact many items have shipped early.
  • Reply 14 of 135
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Who didn't see this coming? Doesn't really matter, unless they miss calendar Q1 altogether, in which cast it'll impact their financials a tad.

Q1 calendar or Q1 fiscal? I think Jan-Mar is Fiscal Q2.

Instead of four weeks of sales for this quarter, they'll have two. I don't think this is one of those products that will have high sales initially, it seems to take a while for a new product to gain traction, so it may not make much difference.

I guess we needed an occasional clear reminder why we shouldn't always accept what Apple says.
  • Reply 15 of 135
    I just checked my order status on apple.com and it has been changed to Ships by March 20. Arrives by March 26. I ordered it just hours after they became available in January.
  • Reply 16 of 135
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by parky View Post

Actually recent past history has been very good, in fact many items have shipped early.

I don't remember any early shipments lately. Xserve Xeon was a mont late.
  • Reply 17 of 135
    tbagginstbaggins Posts: 2,306member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Q1 calendar or Q1 fiscal? I think Jan-Mar is Fiscal Q2.

Instead of four weeks of sales for this quarter, they'll have two. I don't think this is one of those products that will have high sales initially, it seems to take a while for a new product to gain traction, so it may not make much difference.

I guess we needed an occasional clear reminder why we shouldn't always accept what Apple says.

Well, I said calendar Q1, which is Jan-Mar... don't know how I can get more specific than that. \

Sales won't be huge, but there's always an early adopter wave with all things Apple these days. Still small potatoes compared to the rest of their product portfolio.

• Reply 18 of 135
    dentondenton Posts: 725member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins View Post

Well, I said calendar Q1, which is Jan-Mar... don't know how I can get more specific than that. \

Here's how: when you are talking about financial matters, you use the fiscal calendar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TBaggins

Doesn't really matter, unless they miss calendar Q1 altogether, in which case it'll impact their financials a tad.

• Reply 19 of 135
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jacob1varghese View Post

Since it doesn't even come with a CD/DVD drive...

I don't understand. Your Mac has a CD/DVD drive and you can stream from the Mac to the TV. I'll bet Apple TV will be released with a new version of iTunes so that you can play video from the Mac's drive on your TV with full control.
  • Reply 20 of 135
    idaveidave Posts: 1,283member
    Calendar year vs. fiscal year, get it? Who cares, anyway? I got the point.