So Whos holding out for NEW hardware?

Comments

• Reply 61 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I'm waiting for Leopard and a Macbook Pro update. I also hope that the new MBP's have a higher resolution (smaller pixels) and a better video card.

I've sold some stock so I got the money. I'll be going from a 450 MHz single processor G4 with a radeon 8500 to a dual core machine that can run windows. Can't wait...

- Mark

holy cow will you notice a difference
  • Reply 62 of 201
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sc_markt View Post

I'm waiting for Leopard and a Macbook Pro update. I also hope that the new MBP's have a higher resolution (smaller pixels) and a better video card.

I've sold some stock so I got the money. I'll be going from a 450 MHz single processor G4 with a radeon 8500 to a dual core machine that can run windows. Can't wait...

- Mark

You beat me, mate. I thought the 5 yrs and 7 mos I've had my single 867 G4 was a lot. So I'm guessing you bought in--what?--early 2000?

You're approaching my record. The longest I've ever had a single computer was a Mac Plus (8MHz, 512K RAM, B&W 9-inch monitor, with a single 3.5" floppy drive--later upgraded with a fancy-dancy second external floppy drive) which I and my family had from Dec 85 to Dec 93--eight years--when I bought a Performa with a blazing 60Mhz PPC 601, 8MB RAM, a 350MB HDD, and a fancy 15-inch color monitor capable of displaying 640x480 in thousands of colors.

That thing seemed great at the time, but couldn't even play an MP3 track without stuttering...How many times more powerful is my 80GB iPod? Or even my 512MB shuffle?

Like you, I can't wait. Santa Rosa goodness, come to papa!

Going from (probably):

Single 867MHz G4--------------------->Dual Core 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo

133MHz bus---------------------------->800 MHz bus (almost as fast as my old proc)

640 MB RAM---------------------------->2GB RAM

60GB HDD------------------------------>120GB HDD \

32MB video (dedicated)--------------->64MB(or is SR 128MB?) video (shared)

desktop tower-------------------------->portable

15" flat panel display 1024x768------>13.3" WS display 1280x800

~$3000---------------------------------->~$1500 8)
  • Reply 63 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

You beat me, mate. I thought the 5 yrs and 7 mos I've had my single 867 G4 was a lot. So I'm guessing you bought in--what?--early 2000?

You're approaching my record. The longest I've ever had a single computer was a Mac Plus (8MHz, 512K RAM, B&W 9-inch monitor, with a single 3.5" floppy drive--later upgraded with a fancy-dancy second external floppy drive) which I and my family had from Dec 85 to Dec 93--eight years--when I bought a Performa with a blazing 60Mhz PPC 601, 8MB RAM, a 350MB HDD, and a fancy 15-inch color monitor capable of displaying 640x480 in thousands of colors.

That thing seemed great at the time, but couldn't even play an MP3 track without stuttering...How many times more powerful is my 80GB iPod? Or even my 512MB shuffle?

Like you, I can't wait. Santa Rosa goodness, come to papa!

Going from (probably):

Single 867MHz G4--------------------->Dual Core 2.16GHz Core 2 Duo

133MHz bus---------------------------->800 MHz bus (almost as fast as my old proc)

640 MB RAM---------------------------->2GB RAM

60GB HDD------------------------------>120GB HDD \

32MB video (dedicated)--------------->64MB(or is SR 128MB?) video (shared)

desktop tower-------------------------->portable

15" flat panel display 1024x768------>13.3" WS display 1280x800

~$3000---------------------------------->~$1500 8)

$1500 for on board video is a little to much and gma 950 can use to up about 256 mb SR is 300 something.
  • Reply 64 of 201
    dcqdcq Posts: 349member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joe_the_dragon View Post

$1500 for on board video is a little to much and gma 950 can use to up about 256 mb SR is 300 something.

Trust me. I'd prefer a real, even if low-end video card. Especially considering Apple's push with the whole "Core Video/etc," thing which offloads work to the video card--kinda defeats the purpose when there is no video card. Intense graphics also often put a heavy load on the processor; integrated graphics then equals a double-hit to performance.

When Apple began using the 950 when it switched the mini to Intel, I went from being a promoter of the minis (even if I thought the use of the 2.5" HDDs was stupid) to being neutral, if not an outright detractor of them. It's why I haven't bought a MacBook already, despite the age and increasing flakiness of my Quicksilver. But the X3000 seems to provide enough of an improvement in hardware that I can grudgingly accept it, given that I don't really have the cash for a MBP at this point in my life. But I will also wait a while to see the reports on its performance. If they indicate the MBs are less than satisfactory, my wife and I will see what we can do to purchase a MBP (which would put a dent in our plans to buy an iPhone or two). It may mean waiting a bit longer and breaking out the MacGuyver Handbook and seeing how long we can keep the tower running. Tin foil? Fishing line? Bubble gum?
  • Reply 65 of 201
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rolo View Post

Goodness, by the time the new MBP comes out, about 3 months from now, your stock might be worth more than what you sold it at, unless maybe you sold above 95. Sure, the stock could well go lower over the next few weeks but by the time the MBP comes out, it should be back in the mid-90s. I'm expecting about 150 next January.

Actually, the stock I sold was from a large semiconductor company based in Texas.

I wish I had bought Apple stock back when Apple bought NeXT and got Steve Jobs back at the helm. I think it was around $3.00 back then. (Place an Icon of me kicking myself in the rear end..)

- Mark
  • Reply 66 of 201
    I'll limp along with my (so far) useable old PC until Leopard becomes available. I've never had a Mac before, and I will end up buying a 20" iMac. It would leave a bad taste in my mouth if I went out and bought one now, and then found out that I had to pay substantial (more than $50) money to buy the Leopard upgrade when it comes out.
  • Reply 67 of 201
    sc_marktsc_markt Posts: 1,401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCQ View Post

I'm not trying to set a record. The only reason I still have this machine is because it still works pretty good (although sometimes, it won't boot up. I have to retry once or twice before it works and this seems to be getting more common lately). There are some things that I can't do very well such as burn a DVD (I did one once and it took hours and hours. I thought the machine had hung up). I've got a lot of video of my family and want to convert it to DVD and luckily, I have a Sony camcorder that can take an analog signal and convert it to digital that comes out it's firewire output. This new MacBook Pro is going to be busy when I get it.

[QUOTE=DCQ;1047451

That thing seemed great at the time, but couldn't even play an MP3 track without stuttering...How many times more powerful is my 80GB iPod? Or even my 512MB shuffle? [/quote]

I don't even own an iPod yet. My two kids have one each. I plan on getting one and almost caved into my lust for the new Nano's with the metal cases. But I want to wait for one more improvement in them. I'd be happy if they doubled the memory at the same price point. But even better would be an iPod that looks like the iPhone without the phone (but with all of the other bells and whistles.)

- Mark
  • Reply 68 of 201
    Hehe, we should start a club for still having a G4 Powermac over 5 years old. 867 Quicksilver here!! I think I'm holding out for Leopard more than any specific hardware, once Santa Rosa is out and shipping in Mac systems with Leopard, I'll see what there is, because the mac range will probably look very different by then!
  • Reply 69 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ajprice View Post

Hehe, we should start a club for still having a G4 Powermac over 5 years old. 867 Quicksilver here!! I think I'm holding out for Leopard more than any specific hardware, once Santa Rosa is out and shipping in Mac systems with Leopard, I'll see what there is, because the mac range will probably look very different by then!

Indeed. I'm still using a dual 450 G4 which I hope to replace with a new iMac (next revision) and Leopard. Although to be fair, I do use a dual 2 Ghz G5 Powermac at work (which will also be replaced once Leopard and CS3 roll out).
  • Reply 70 of 201
    It seems many people feel the same as I do. And, according to a recent statement, Apple still isn't listening. I will join the ten or so people in this thread and say, my ancient Mac is 'good enough' and I will not be buying anything that is currently out or an update to anything that is out. Apple needs to reach out to the market of people who want to spend $1k-$2k (which is what a kicking PC would cost) and who don't want a weakling Mini, an iMac with a screen they don't need, and a Pro that costs too much. Alas, it seems that isn't going to happen so Apple loses our purchases for ANOTHER year.
  • Reply 71 of 201
    jaddiejaddie Posts: 110member
    Dear Nicnac & Friends

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nicnac View Post

Apple needs to reach out to the market of people who want to spend $1k-$2k (which is what a kicking PC would cost) and who don't want a weakling Mini, an iMac with a screen they don't need, and a Pro that costs too much.

Hopefully Apple will also reach out to those of us who expect to spend US$6K on a complete workstation with a large, updated display. When was that thirty-incher last updated? Two years ago?

An iMac with a screen no one needs? Well, wouldn't that be the seventeen-inch model? I find the twenty-four-inch model positively wonderful.

My point is that we all desire different things. Some of us want a subnotebook, while some of us hope to see a twenty-inch MacBook Pro. Some of us want a very, very low-cost Mac, while some of us are willing to concede cost in favor of ultimate performance. I'd never spend US$1500 on a video card, but serious gamers don't flinch when making such a purchase.

Sincerely,

Jaddie
  • Reply 72 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jaddie View Post

Dear Nicnac & Friends

Hopefully Apple will also reach out to those of us who expect to spend US$6K on a complete workstation with a large, updated display. When was that thirty-incher last updated? Two years ago?

An iMac with a screen no one needs? Well, wouldn't that be the seventeen-inch model? I find the twenty-four-inch model positively wonderful.

My point is that we all desire different things. Some of us want a subnotebook, while some of us hope to see a twenty-inch MacBook Pro. Some of us want a very, very low-cost Mac, while some of us are willing to concede cost in favor of ultimate performance. I'd never spend US$1500 on a video card, but serious gamers don't flinch when making such a purchase.

Sincerely,

Jaddie

apple can push the cost of the dual 2 gig mac pro down and add quad-cores on the top end.
  • Reply 73 of 201
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    Sawtttoh with AT.I 8500 and GigaDesign 1.2 G4. I intend to hold out to 2008 when the next generation of Intel CPU arrives with more advanced vector units, a faster MB with cheaper memory and many more things that will make that box last as long as the G4 tower did
  • Reply 74 of 201
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    I'm waiting on a new mini for my mom, new displays or even further price drops (really want apple's 20 or 23" but not at those prices, if it never happens I'll cave and buy another company's monitor), possibly a new imac, if they release a mid tower or a mid priced mac pro I will definetly get that.

And if I do get that I'd sell my mbp and get a new lowest end macbook.

So if apple plays their cards right I could be throwing a lot of business their way this year.
  • Reply 75 of 201
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I'm waiting on a new mini for my mom...

Same boat. Waiting on a new mini for my dad. While I have a couple tablets with the GMA900 that work okay the GMA950 still strikes me as anemic for the long haul.

Vinea
  • Reply 76 of 201
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I'm waiting on a new mini for my mom, new displays or even further price drops (really want apple's 20 or 23" but not at those prices, if it never happens I'll cave and buy another company's monitor), possibly a new imac, if they release a mid tower or a mid priced mac pro I will definetly get that.

And if I do get that I'd sell my mbp and get a new lowest end macbook.

So if apple plays their cards right I could be throwing a lot of business their way this year.

If your looking at the Displays for your mom, Apple's are probably overkill to say the least. Ben Q, Acer, and Chemei make some pretty good 19-26" displays that come in silver.
  • Reply 77 of 201
    I'm interested in moving to Intel. I currently use a Powerbook 1.67, which is nice, but a bit on the slow side compared to other computers I work with daily, mainly G5 models of various sorts. I'll probably wait until Leopard/Santa Rosa and then get a MBP.
  • Reply 78 of 201
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

If your looking at the Displays for your mom, Apple's are probably overkill to say the least. Ben Q, Acer, and Chemei make some pretty good 19-26" displays that come in silver.

The display is for me, when I get her a mini, I'm gonna hand off my current 17" lcd to her (which is silver) and get myself a 20-23" display, maybe I'll even stretch to a 26". Thanks for the heads up on the other manufacturers that offer in silver though, I'm going to look into them.
  • Reply 79 of 201
    I am holding off for Leopard and hopefully some hardware bumps.

Looking to buy a 15" or 17" MBP with an updated 20" or 23" Cinema Display with a copy of Aperture.

I hope this is released ASAP, but get a sinking feeling that this will not be updated until WWDC in June. Santa Rosa across the board would be my guess.
  • Reply 80 of 201
    rolorolo Posts: 686member
    I'm currently using a 1.25GHz 15" PB so would like to get a MBP replacement soon. I've been holding out for Santa Rosa but if that upgrade will be too lame, I may wait until November for something using Penryn.

Here's what I'd consider lame:

2.4GHz C2D

Radeon X1700

6x SuperDrive

Here's what I'd consider a good upgrade from the current MBP:

2.6GHz Core 2 Extreme

Radeon X1800

8X SuperDrive

Unless some rumor site spills the specs, we won't know what it'll be for another 3 months.