Taking the Plunge: Getting Married Friday. Advice?

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
So this Friday evening (March 2), I'll be taking the plunge, tying on the "old ball and chain", and getting married to the love of my life.

So married folks, what advice would you give to a Mac-loving newlywed couple?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Congratulations!

Don't know exactly what advice I can give; I married a Windows user and converted her to Mac. If your wife-to-be already is a Mac lover, then you don't need much advice!
  • Reply 2 of 39
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    Well, I'm actually working on converting her. But she does at least respect Macs.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
    There is the obvious stuff like don't screw around.

Most couples have their biggest fights over money or over issues that they believe will be "solved" by marriage. (I.E. your mother will never accept me but will have to love me after we are married.)(She will have to do that one sexual thing she refuses to do because now we are together forever.)

This link discusses deal breakers. I would make sure there aren't any before jumping in this Friday. If there aren't then welcome to the marriage club.

Nick
  • Reply 4 of 39
    Here is a must-do:

1) Get out your Nano

2) Strap on your Nike + shoes

3) Make sure the Nano is full of music and battery life

4) Run.
  • Reply 5 of 39
    Is it too late to sign a pre-nup? Just kidding. Congratulations.
  • Reply 6 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

Here is a must-do:

1) ... 4) Run.

I ran regularly once but got out of it a couple of years ago. Maybe I'll put on the shoes this Friday as another element of my rejuvenated life. It'll be pretty slow and probably only clear the crap out of my lungs, but I'll feel better for sure.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    How wonderful for you. I've been married almost 30 years ( I'm sure I'm the oldest grammy here). I believe it is simple acts of kindness. Really listening and remembering to have fun that keeps a marriage fresh. It is also essential to nurture your freindships. I go on a trip with my girl friends at leat twice a year. Also have more time in reality than cyberspace. Congratulations and really enjoy your wedding party!!!! grammy
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Where's the honeymoon?
  • Reply 9 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

I ran regularly once but got out of it a couple of years ago. Maybe I'll put on the shoes this Friday as another element of my rejuvenated life. It'll be pretty slow and probably only clear the crap out of my lungs, but I'll feel better for sure.

Clearly, you misunderstand my post. Out of concern, I'll will simplify the advice to just one step.

1) Run.
  • Reply 10 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Congrats Cosmonut!

I was married for seven years and recently separated. I learned a few things.

1. Quality time together is everything. The more "good time" you have together, the better your chances of making it work.

2. Hopefully you both are serious about doing it for life, not matter what. Once you make that committment, you will both be more secure.

3. Marriages don't do well on auto pilot. They require constant work.

4. Give her what she wants. She wants certain drapes? Go ahead Dear! That specific pattern of china? That one color of paint? No problem! Trust me...it's way more important to her than it is to you.

5. Understand that all women are crazy. Even if you love them. Also, she should realize that men are basically big dogs that talk. Once you're both good with that, you'll be fine!

Congrats again!
  • Reply 11 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dancm2000 View Post

Clearly, you misunderstand my post. Out of concern, I'll will simplify the advice to just one step.

1) Run.

Ah. No.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    shawnjshawnj Posts: 6,656member
    Congrats!

Meal-planning might be a source of marital tension.
  • Reply 13 of 39
    No honeymoon?
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Who wants cream?

Nobody?

Ok, no cream!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut View Post

So this Friday evening (March 2), I'll be taking the plunge, tying on the "old ball and chain", and getting married to the love of my life.

So married folks, what advice would you give to a Mac-loving newlywed couple?

Advice? Don't. There's nothing in it for a man.
  • Reply 16 of 39
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,016member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BR View Post

Advice? Don't. There's nothing in it for a man.

• Reply 17 of 39
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    I've been married almost 7 years. My advice? Either don't get married or get get married and make no concessions, such as those listed above.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    eat@meeat@me Posts: 321member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I've been married almost 7 years. My advice? Either don't get married or get get married and make no concessions, such as those listed above.

pre-nup in CA, have lots of sex in the beginning as you need to store up for extended hybernation where spring may never come again

and say eat me every once and while
  • Reply 19 of 39
    trumptmantrumptman Posts: 16,464member
  • Reply 20 of 39
    nofeernofeer Posts: 2,427member
    hope she is your best friend like my wife of 10 years

C-A-R-E

C: COLLABORATION look it up for detail,

A: AFFECTION touch, thoughts, tenderness, "i love you" at least 2-3 times a day

R: RESPECT include this as well as standard def we have our strengths AND weaknesses, don't push her/ him to their weekness.

E: ENERGY you have to put it into play all the time it's a major energy commitment

ALSO 1. realize many relationships/ marriage don't work because of stupid things but when i say do the bills together and together develope a family budget and STICK TO IT. don't use money to establish power over your mate.

2. establish a family "mission statement" why do you exist as a couple, foundation of your family.

3. understand your synergies.

4. if you think of stepping out of your marriage talk first before you do something that is VERY difficult to undo.

5. be responsible, and accountable for your actions

6. be able to say you are sorry, give forgiveness,

7. learn to fight fair, their are books

I dont know if you are religious, but having Christ in our family is paramount, we pray as a family, it's our moral foundation.

8. don't go into this as a temporary thing, like hollywood do

9. do as much together doesn't matter any and all things just like to talk.

GOOD LUCK