Apple WWDC to pack over 100 sessions on Leopard

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Tuesday offered a preview of conference sessions for its upcoming World Wide Developer Conference, revealing an agenda focused entirely on its upcoming Leopard operating system.

"With over 100 sessions devoted to Mac OS X Leopard technologies, spanning six technology tracks, and personal access to the engineers behind them, WWDC will be a critical stop for any developer on the road to a killer Leopard application," the company wrote on its developer website.

Among the six session tracks is one titled "Leopard Innovations," where developers will learn how to harness the power of upcoming Leopard technologies such as Core Animation, iChat Theater and QuickLook.

Another session on developer tools will teach methods for streamlining workflow and becoming more productive with new features due in the forthcoming release Apple's Xcode development environment. Tracks in the development session will also cover code optimization with tools like Apple's new Xray application and DTrace.

Other sessions slated for the developer conference include "Mac OS X Essentials," "Information Technologies," "Graphics and Imaging," and "Content and Media."

WWDC will be held at Moscone Center West in San Francisco, California. It runs from June 11-15, 2007.

Apple has maintained that it will ship Mac OS X Leopard during the Spring.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Hmm... If they get this packed there will be a lot of people trained in the new OS, that can't hurt!
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wilcowilco Posts: 985member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EruIthildur View Post

Hmm... If they get this packed there will be a lot of people trained in the new OS, that can't hurt!

Totally!!1!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    Uhg. I don't want to wait till June for Leopard! [/pout]

Oh, and there's that weird fat border again. Don't know if that was put there by AI or Apple...
  • Reply 4 of 12
    How many OSX sessions have there been in the past? I'm still holding out for multitouch being one of the new technologies, haha
  • Reply 5 of 12
    Core Animation will be a BIG deal in Leopard and lie behind a great deal of the "secret features" we're all waiting for. Mark my words!

WWDC is lining up to be the backup release date at this rate. Hopefully Apple's "spring" comes sooner!
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Yeah, I have a feeling that Core Animation support in 3rd party apps will be a major driver of Leopard migrations. Every little Mac app will start using Core Animation, and become Leopard only, and so people will migrate.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple has maintained that it will ship Mac OS X Leopard during the Spring.

Yes, but just when is Spring?
  • Reply 8 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Yup I expect to see Core Animation overload initially. I say bring it on and the better implementations of CAn will stick. Quartz now being threaded better means we get the features without the slowdowns

Developers seem to be pretty keen on Leopard. I know I'm keen on it simply because I don't need major whizzbang features as much as I I need improved integration.

The fact that Apple now has a Calendar Store for all applications makes me happy. I don't don't want to deal with multiple calendars that don't play well with others. Let me input dates once where all other applications that would have a need to edit iCal information know of my recent calendar changes.

64-bit Quicktime. I read that Apple's worked a lot with the QT Kit frameworks. AVC encoding is improved which is important to me because I want to rip my DVDs to AVC for streaming to Apple TV.

I'm pumped as always for new versions of the OS. WWDC is going to be a biggie.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

AVC encoding is improved which is important to me because I want to rip my DVDs to AVC for streaming to Apple TV.

Just wondering but where have you read this? I would like to do this with QuickTime (I'm sure it will be a pro feature) but I do not see this happening due to encrypted DVDs.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member
    Is it just me or do this year's WWDC sessions sound like a recap of last years? I went to the Portland Leopard talk and they talked about all the stuff mentioned in the post above. I have all the source code for it. I don't know, nothing really new IMO. Only real reason to go there is to mingle and get the sessions you missed last year cause you were in the other ones... or here's an idea... just watch them on iTunes if you have an ADC account. /shrug

Though in Apple's defense, the price to go is 1295 if you sign up right now, which is cheaper than other years. Also can get another 100 off of select membership (1695).
  • Reply 11 of 12
    feynmanfeynman Posts: 1,087member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

Is it just me or do this year's WWDC sessions sound like a recap of last years? I went to the Portland Leopard talk and they talked about all the stuff mentioned in the post above. I have all the source code for it. I don't know, nothing really new IMO. Only real reason to go there is to mingle and get the sessions you missed last year cause you were in the other ones... or here's an idea... just watch them on iTunes if you have an ADC account. /shrug

Yeah if you read my post in the General Discussion I mentioned that it seems some what of a lackluster event. Doesn't seem like Apple will really surprise us unless there are new SDKs that have not been announced based on the "Top Secret" features but unless they announce those soon, I doubt this years WWDC will be as amazing as it has been the last few years.....
  • Reply 12 of 12
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Feynman View Post

Just wondering but where have you read this? I would like to do this with QuickTime (I'm sure it will be a pro feature) but I do not see this happening due to encrypted DVDs.

Oh I'm positive Apple won't offer a solution but I'm looking right now for a program that hooks into QT for the encoding. If the improvements are "significant" as Apple says them perhaps encoding my collection to AVC won't take a millenium. I'll let you know what I find I'm lookng right now for a DVD Ripper that supports AVC and OS X of course.