Missing OS X apps: Outlook, Acrobat,...

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
There are several apps for OS X people are waiting for before they use OS X as their main OS at work. I'm talking about:

Microsoft Outlook Exchange client

Adobe Acrobat 5.0 full version with Distiller

Adobe Photoshop

QuarkXPress!

Adobe Indesign

Most Macromedia stuff like Flash, Dreamweaver, Director

And I don't want my users running stuff like Outlook 2001 in Classic. That just isn't going to cut it at all. In fact I tried it and could not get it to work through classic. Anyone else try it?

Now I know Adobe will be releasing most of their apps for X soon as will Macromedia. Quark even made a commitment for QXP5 soon! What's taking Microsoft so long with Outlook? Why could they not have added exchange services to Entourage? Windows users get Outlook with their Office package. Most corporate Mac users are on Exchange networks too. I haven't heard a word on it yet.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Not to be an ass or anything, but aren't there about 20 threads about stuff like this already?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Well this one is mainly about Outlook for OS X, my main pet peve because it doesn't even work under classic. Unless you want to use Entourage to access your Exchange stuff which is a pain to set up and you don't get nearly all the features of a true exchange client. But you're right... there is about 20 topics about Outlook Exchange client for OS X.... how silly of me!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Well, as far as Acrobat is concerned.. there is actually a warez type patch out there (very hard to find... but...) that turns Acrobat 5 into a carbonized app...

I have seen it, and it works very very well...

BTW> I use Entourage.

My list of non OS X apps is dwindling by the day...

Number one app that is not, and that chaps my ass each day.. is PageSpinner.

Arrrghhh
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I'd like to see a native Outlook Express version. Entourage is overloaded for me and it's not free.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I don't think Outlook Express will come out for X as I remember reading somewhere Microsoft considers it to be replaced by Mail.

Daniel
  • Reply 6 of 11
    xoolxool Posts: 2,460member
    [quote]Originally posted by Daniel:

<strong>I don't think Outlook Express will come out for X as I remember reading somewhere Microsoft considers it to be replaced by Mail.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm sure Micro$oft would prefer it if you'd buy Office for Entourage anyhow...
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Funny "Microsoft Outlook Exchange client for OS X" is still an issue! Basic functionality is there when using Entourage, but all the delegation stuff and rules management is still missing. And Outlook 2001 in classic is just somehow ridiculous. I wonder whether VPC running Outlook 2003 would be better ... and there would be support for "cached mode" which really help a lot in terms of speed ...
  • Reply 8 of 11
    trowatrowa Posts: 176member
    some apps I would like to see...

Microsoft Project

Microsoft Visio

Softimage XSI

give me those apps, and I never have to boot a PC again. well...maybe just for games
  • Reply 9 of 11
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Don't we have Acrobat 6 for OS X in all its crappy Adobeness, except the "Elements" version?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    neilybneilyb Posts: 128member
    hello, time warp?

annoying bumper!
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Annoying indeed. No need to bump a thread more than two years old. \

Much of the original content here is WAY out of date. If you have something to add, start a new thread.